Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This about the ammo and not the pistol. I purchased a Remington RM380. I picked up a box of Fiocchi 380 ammo at the same store. I had chambering problems right away. :( The second mag the first round hung half-way in the chamber. The fifth round did the same. At least one failure every mag. :mad:
I got a box of Remington brand 380 ammo. It functioned perfectly. After carefully inspecting the fired brass, I could see a burr on the Fiocchi brass where the extractor hit it. :confused: Closer inspection showed the rim was thicker on that brass than on the Remington brass. The thicker rim would not slide up under the extractor when the round was entering the chamber.

I picked up a box of Federal ammo and a box of Herters. I went back to the range today and the Remington, Federal, and Herters all worked perfectly. :D

Has anybody had any problems with Fiocchi ammo?
I had some folks over to my range. One person had a Ruger LCP 380 and had several failures with steel cased ammo, which I never use. I gave the last 20 rounds of Fiocchi to my son who has a LCP, but he may not try it for months.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Someone on here recently, had trouble getting their 1911 to cycle with fiocci ammo. I can’t remember if it was .45acp or 9mm. I have shot alot of .38spl and .357mag out of my revolvers without a hitch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is an issue that has been discussed extensively on the Kahr Talk forum. The rim thickness causes extraction problems, and there are various tweaks to address the issue. The least invasive approach seems to be to determine which ammo is compatible with an individual gun, and then run that ammo, which is what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It won't run in my 9mm Glock 26. Won't cycle the slide far enough back to eject.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I use Fiocchi shotgun shells with good results. However, I quit buying Fiocchi rifle and handgun ammo after 2 factory .38 squibs in the past two years; the latest being last fall. No more Fiocchi metalic cartridges for me :(

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
I buy a lot of Fiocchi in both the 380 and 9mm. Actually like there ammo very much. However my Kahr 380 was having trouble feeding this ammo. I then found out it was the fact that the "Fiocchi Linina" had a longer OAL than their other ammo. Fiocchi "Extrema" was shorter and fed fine.

My Kahr would feed most ammo less than 24.40 mm . I shoot a lot of 380. Mostly Freedom Munitions which I have had great luck with The Pico, the Kahr, and the LCP. the Freedom is 24.15mm.
My favorite of the 380 is the Pico. Eats any ammo and the most reliable gun I have owned. And my favorite ammo without any doubt is the PrecisiononePlus P. The most accurate ammo I have shot in years. The Fiocchi is a little hot which I like and the Extrema which was mentioned as a great defense round by is a good choice.

I buy the PrecisionOne Plus P in the bulk 250 box and usually buy a 500 at a time. I buy a lot of Freedom Munitions, and for everything but the Kahr, buy Perfecta when on sale. And I also buy Extrema for $13.00 and free shipping from Sportsmen's guide. (member price about a $1.00 more for non member.

My LCP, the one I have left is a Gen2. While I very seldom shoot it any more, I have to say that it loved Tula steel.Lol, in fact I still have alot of it left over from the shortage era.
Every now and then I will take out the LCP for some exercise and let her have a ration of Tula.

Note: On the Kahr, I later filed down the extractor just a little in certain locations. The gun has very tight tolerances. Now the gun has been shooting great, as long as I do not put in a round with a OAL of greater than 24.40mm.
Also note that I have seen certain batches of ammo that will have defects in Width or lenght. Hornady range ammo had this issue in lenght with about 6 or 7 rounds being longer than the others.

I do not buy the Tula Brass any longer. I had trouble in a number of guns in 9mm. I placed in a case guage and here is the result. I suspect 380 is the same.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Fiocchi in addition to possible length issues, is loaded to CIP (European) pressure standards...

.380 ACP is AKA 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurtz, and a few other names...

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Fiocchi in addition to possible length issues, is loaded to CIP (European) pressure standards...

.380 ACP is AKA 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurtz, and a few other names...
Don't forget "9mm Browning Short"

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hmm, I'll keep an eye out when I shoot my stuff.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Be careful with the Fiocchi shotgun ammo, the primers are brittle and easy to pierce which can erode or chip some firing pins. I learned the hard way and now avoid Rio, Fiocchi and Estate shotshells for that same reason. Federal Top Guns and Remington Gun Clubs are my cheap shotgun ammo of choice now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Fiocchi 380 stuff won't cycle in my Kahr CW380 at all. Never had problems with their stuff in any other gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's the way that some ammo just works....you have to test it to find what you gun likes and what it doesn't, now I have only used Fiocchi in 9mm and it runs fine in all my 9mm guns. But you try to feed UMC in half of my 9mm it is jamomatic fails to feed everytime. Now my 40SW guns there ain't nothing they don't like. What's funny when I reload those same cases myself I never have an issue with them feeding. I actually have to keep a log of what ammunition will fire in which gun and the OAL of that ammo, along with my guns specific max OAL for that gun by using the plunk test method on each new gun I buy.

I really don't use too much commercial ammo any more since I reload but I do keep quite a bit on hand to have for testing various things during my reload testing. I also test several different boxes of commercial and several different loads of my reloading stock on every new gun I buy. Usually takes me about 1000 rounds to test a new gun. Going through that process right now with my new SR9C

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
The Fiocchi 380 stuff won't cycle in my Kahr CW380 at all. Never had problems with their stuff in any other gun.
I do not know if you saw my other post about the Kahr 380 and Fiocchi. What Fiocchi were you shooting? It should work fine with "Extrema". The OAL is shorter than Linea.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have a Kahr P380 used for EDC that I keep loaded with Fiocchi Extrema. I have never had a cycling problem with this ammo. IMO, it is effective ammo that is loaded with Hornady 90 grain XTP bullets.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am somewhat relieved to learn that other guns also have had problems with Fiocchi 380 ammo functioning. I really like the Remi RM380. It is a very accurate for a micro pistol. On my last range visit I consistantly hit 10" steel plates at 50 feet with the little gun. I have not had any function problems with the three other brands of ammunition. They ran perfectly. Maybe one more box through it and I will start using it as my carry on some days.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I bought my Taurus TCP I also bought a box of Fiocchi .380. I had many misfeeds from that box and so took the gun back to the dealer thinking that it was defective. He advised me that it needed a break in period and sold me some Winchester White Box. No more problems. Now I load my own with cast bullets and Hornady XTP and the gun has become very reliable. I think the only break in needed was to avoid the Fiocchi .380 ammo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is the ammo

I Have tried 380 fiocchi on a ppk, bodyguard and p238. It constantly fails to feed. The caising has a ring indentation that prevents it from feeding properly. Is like the caising was crimped right at the middle.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Extrema for self defense and right XTP bullets, forget the Linea. But want great shooting ammo. Get PrecisionOne, both standard and Pluse P. And the defense ammo is XTP. All my 380's shoot much better with PrecisionOne.

*I would not shoot Plus P out of a aluminum, sub chassis pistol.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I use fiocchi blue box(made in USA) for my carry ammo in 9mm and .40 S&W, .380 acp fmj boxed under Herters brand and never have a problem with any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts