Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's I feel very lucky to be posting here this morning..... last night my wife and I had returned home from an evening out, and I smelled smoke. But we didn't think anything of it because of the smoke that is in the air right now from a big haze from a fire in over in the Bob Marshal wilderness.

Well this morning I went out on my deck to my front yard, and low and behold a large plastic bin that my daughter had her wood pellets for her turtle had some how caught fire (smoldered) for who knows how long, as these had been soked and were now powder form mostly.

But that deck section is a loss, and as it was still smoldering this morning until I drowned it out with water.

I just can't figure it out, but wonder if spontanious combustion set it off with the 103* temp we had yesterday here.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wow JB,
Glad your alright and the family is safe, yes that can happen pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Lucky man, spontanious does sound like a possibility.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's the decomposition of the wood chips that caused the fire. Fires can start that way surprisingly easy, especially in high temperatures. If you've ever stuck your hand inside a large pile of mulch you can feel how much warmer it is on the inside. While the wood decomposes it creates a lot of heat which can lead to spontaneous combustion given the right circumstances. If those were "used" wood chips the ammonia from the turtle's waste can provide a catalyst for combustion as well.

I'm glad nothing worse happened, very frightening.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Amazing and educating...and a reason to praise God that the deck and house didn't catch...I learned a new thing with this happenin' for sure!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Prayers of thanks never hurt. God is good, all the time....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Pretty strange, sure you don't have kids in the neighborhood playing with matches? Because of a past experience, I have a great fear of fire happening in my house, so anytime I smell something out of the ordinary I'm checking the attic, closets and all electrical panels. Wife thinks I'm crazy. Bet you will start now too. Wonder if that old stump out back will catch afire if I sprinkle some wood chips on it?

·
Registered
842 Posts
JB, glad to hear it wasn't any worse. That's scary. House fires can become deadly very quickly. Like Jimbo, any time I smell something funny in my home, I always go around and check everything to make sure.
Baker

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't of thought wood chips can light themselves! Glad your family and Rugers are safe.

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's the same way a compost heap can spontaniously ignite. That is why I keep the compost well away from any structure, and in a clear area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts