Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first and only AR-15, and the only other firearm I posses aside from my Glock 23. So I was a little nervous at first when I went to the range. Over the last week I handled the rifle unloaded as much as possible and practiced working with the magazine, bolt release, safety etc. And although it was new I field stripped and cleaned it. It really helped in making me comfortable with rifle.

I was lucky to score 4 boxes of Remington 223 at the local range. So I had just enough to barrel sight the EOTech Holographic sight I fitted to the rifle. I went with the holographic sight versus a scope as I wanted to set the firearm for closer duty at 100 yards or under.

After the first few rounds my nervousness subsided and I really got to work sighting it in. The recoil on the SR556 is very light. I managed to cluster three rounds within 1.5 inches at 50 yards. I was shocked the EOTech gave me almost dead on windage simply bolting it to the rail. I worked the elevation in about 5 clusters.

Overall firing the AR was a great experience and was smoother and much more controlled than I ever thought it could be. I only put 60 rounds through it, but it performed flawlessly. I'm very excited to take it out again very soon when my ammo arrives (I have 1000 rounds of 223 and 100 rounds of 556 being delivered this week).

I was originally hunting for the Colt when I can upon the SSR556. After a ton of research I went with the Ruger. I am so glad I did. I like the piston design, and I really like the SR556E basic design that will allow me to build up the rifle to my own designs. But I will keep it a fairly lean firearm. In hindsight my choice to go with Ruger was a good choice!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the 556cla and love it too. I just wish I had some ammo to shoot:(:(

BTW, I have about 150rds through mine and no sign of bolt carrier tilt or any other problems. For the price I paid I really wish Ruger would have put a better trigger in it though. I plan on getting a Geisselle at Camp Perry this summer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although I am too inexperienced with the AR 15 to compare trigger differences between makes and models, I can say that I found the trigger pressure for the SR556 notable. Maybe as I grow more accustomed to it I will want to perform a similar upgrade.

I cleaned my 556 last night upon returning home inspecting everything carefully. After the first time out for firing I wanted to spot any signs of trouble. Everything looked great. I know 60 rounds isn't much, but I notice nothing at all in the receiver tube. I've heard carrier tilt is initially present, if at all, than tapers off after a break in period. So Im guessing if I'm going to have an issue, I will have it in the next few hundred rounds or so. As of now, not even a scratch in the receiver. Another thing I plan on keeping an eye on is running the lowest gas chamber setting possible depending on my load.

The SR556 doesn't get enough respect in my opinion. I heard they addressed the tilt issue with the redesigned carrier. I'm not aware if this correction is cure or not. But I do like the fact that the bolt and carriage remain remarkably clean, the recoil is tame, the rifle is perfectly outfitted the way I like, and I have the legendary Ruger customer service behind me.

I also enjoyed the interest and appreciation for SR556 that I received at the range :)

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
I know what you mean about the trigger. I was just about to buy a Geissele SSA trigger last month, but found a 1963 Winchester 94, so I'll have to wait a couple of months.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Shot my sr556 yesterday for the first time, owned it almost a year and just never found the time. Iron sights were three inches to the right and got my strike fire sighted in. Nothing special but was hitting golfballs at 30 yards after sighted in. I actually enjoyed the trigger. No complaints, 100 rounds and no signs of buffer tube ware.

·
Registered
930 Posts
mdzcpa,

Glad to hear you got to the range and sounds like to got it sited very quickly. I agree very fun to shoot and very little recoil. You will like what you have purchased. When the new ammo arrives you will be making time to get to the range. I know I did. but ammo was also much more available and cheaper too back then.

Hope all the ammp craziness will calm down sooner then later.

Enjpoy the Ruger SR556 is great. I have not changed my trigger but I am hearing more and more folks suggest the Geissele SSA.

That will be a future modification.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I fired my new 556E today for the first time also. I bolted a Nikon p-223 3x9 600BDC on it. No bore sighting was 12 inches high dead center alignment at 100 out of the box.

It is a smooth shooting piece.

Only problem I had was I was on far right end of the range and looking for brass in the woods was not fun.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mdzcpa,

Glad to hear you got to the range and sounds like to got it sited very quickly. I agree very fun to shoot and very little recoil. You will like what you have purchased. When the new ammo arrives you will be making time to get to the range. I know I did.
I plan on it! I'm excited to get more time with this rifle. I was thinking of possibly getting a x3 magnifier down the road now that I know how it feels at the range.

UPS says Wednesday delivery so I'm hoping for some time next weekend :)
(I just need to control myself as I promised myself to keep most of the ammo in reserve until things calm down ;) )

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just checked out a Ruger SR556 for the first time at a local gun shop today. I really liked it, didn't realize that the Rugers were a gas-piston design, which really turned me on to it. I also liked the nice free float round handrail on it, nice setup for a factory stock rifle. It was expensive, but only a couple hundred more than the bone stock DPMS M4 sitting beside it. Absolutley no question which one I would have come home with if I was in the market.

·
Registered
51 Posts
New Trigger

Get the Geissele SSA trigger, the best upgrade you can make on the SR556. I absolutley love it!! Shoot faster and more accurate with the addition. I also have the eotech. Sounds like you are on the right track, just need to order that trigger now.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the Geissele SSA trigger, the best upgrade you can make on the SR556. I absolutley love it!! Shoot faster and more accurate with the addition. I also have the eotech. Sounds like you are on the right track, just need to order that trigger now.
hehe...you have my interest for sure. I will look into it!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
If the Geissele isn't available, get a Timney drop in with a 4 lb pull. They are super easy to install and tend to be more available than the Geissele these days. A word of warning, though, they are single-stage triggers and very crisp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts