Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been kinda slow in here, and today has been kinda slow for me:) SO I took my brand new 6" TALO GP100 out back and ran it's first rounds outside the Ruger plant through it:)

Always a unique experience, to fire the very first shots through a new gun, I've been fortunate enough to do it several times in the last couple months........

I put XS "standard" dot sights on it, before shooting at a milk jug at 10 yards, in my back yard. I love these sights, they hit a little high but that may be just me getting used to the sights. Fired 6 130 gr. .38's and 6 158 grainers..........no .357's, too loud for the backyard. Accuracy was good, put a decent group on the evil milk jug, I'll have to lower the rear sight to it's lowest limit and get a good "Dot the I" hold next time,and see if I can lower the groups.

The XS sights look "right" on the unfluted 6" beast of a GP100, it makes it a real "combat" revolver. The Hogue woods aren't going anywhere.

Attachments

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Nice GP! The added weight from the unfluted cylinder ought to make the recoil much more manageable :p

Jk! Glad you got out and had some fun. Is it distinctly different from a standard 6" when shooting? Curious if you noticed anything...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Good lookin GP!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I put the XS front and rear on, I love these sights, they're something different:) I have used them before, I had this sight set on a 4" GP and they are capable of excellent accuracy once you get used to them.

They really shine when shooting "objects" like plastic bottles, bowling pins, cans, clays, swingers etc. In fact, XS says they added the "standard" dot because of demand, the Big Dot wasn't as versatile.

They're not the best for paper punching where you're trying to shoot tiny groups, the XS sights are for quick acquisition and DA shooting. Even still, at 10-15 my groups with XS sights are pretty much the same as with standard sights, once you hit 25+ you start to lose some of the "fine bead" but I like the fact that I can shoot them with both eyes open. These are truly "combat" sights, for 0-20 yards, you either love them or hate them.They do take some getting used to, I'm not 100% with them yet.

I was shooting .38 reloads, which of course felt like .22's in this big iron, I didn't notice any different feel vs. my standard blued 6" GP. I think the main advantage of the unfluted cylinder is, it just looks cool:) It may add a small margin of extra "beef", so if someone wanted to use it for a 10mm conversion this would be the one, but many 10mm's have been done with standard GP's with no problems.

I think TALO ordered these to give Ruger fans a GP100 that has the unfluted look of the popular PC S&W 686's.

I love it, if I had the money I'd get another one and put Letts on it. I hope TALO orders a run of these in 4".

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the XS sights on the gun, I'll have to do more shooting with them to get a feel for them. If they don't work out, I may go with something else, but hoping these "complete" the gun.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts