Ruger Forum banner

Firefighter/EMS Roll Call

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Maddmax 
#1 ·
I notice there are many Firefighters/EMS providers on the forum.

I am a Volunteer FF/EMT-B in Nebraska, serving a 47 Square mile district near Omaha, we have a population of 3000+ with some major industry, lake communities, farmland, 2 rivers, major highways and RR lines. I have been on for 21 years,
I serve as the Dept. Treasurer and recently have found myself the oldest member. My son is the Asst. Chief, we have 45 members with 6 Paramedics.
I work for a major Agri-business company on a large campus, I serve on the EMR team and HAZMAT team there.
How about a little information about you and you're Dept?
Greg

Reactions: mark40
#3 ·
Started as a volunteer 40 years ago and became an EMT shortly thereafter. I got hired as a full time FF/EMT in our capitol city in 1983, retired in 2004. Officially I am still a volunteer/Safety Officer/Lieutenant but I consider that 'ceremonial' in nature. I am the oldest (but not longest serving) member of my home department.

"Being retired from the Fire Department means that I no longer have to interfere with natural selection!"

Bruce

#4 · (Edited)
Served as a volunteer firefighter for 25 years starting in my home town in 1976. Served as a Federal Firefighter for 23 years [retired 2014], and also as an adjunct State Fire Instructor for 7 yrs. teaching Firefighter Survival and FAST. Since then, have been working part-time as an EMT during the winter months at a resort property.

#5 ·
Well started as a volunteer 1994, did that 20 years with a few breaks. 3 stations 25 square miles probably 25k people. Started running 220 calls a year. When i left was running over 1k calls a year. Served as a firefighter, publicity chairman on the board and Captain.
Became career in another city 2004 to present 27 square miles 75k to 100k i figure. Started as a level 1 hydrant man, progressed to level 3 senior firefighter/ back up driver. Then a few years back got promoted to Engineer. Already passed the officer exam, practicals. waiting for a spot to open to be promoted to Captain hopefully. Thats as high as i wanna go, don't want to get off the rig. Served on several companies at several stations throughout the city, engine, quint, and the tower as a truckee. Im assigned to the busiest engine in the city usually 6 to 10 alarns daily, some more or less. I stand in as the acting officer when needed.
Have all the firefighter certs, driver operator. technical rescue, fire instructor II, emt basic. and a long list of others.

So being career running that much, and trying to volunteer running that much became too much so in 2015 i resigned as a volunteer in my local department. Maybe when i retire from the city i may go back to just lend a hand, we will see.

#6 ·
Well started as a volunteer 1994, did that 20 years with a few breaks. 3 stations 25 square miles probably 25k people. Started running 220 calls a year. When i left was running over 1k calls a year. Served as a firefighter, publicity chairman on the board and Captain.
It took you long enough to jump on this band wagon.............I forgot, you've been cleaning guns all day and sending us pics of them.................... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Tacky
#8 ·
I became the first Paraheadache on our department a number of years ago. Organized the training for cert upkeep, ran as a crew leader on my own crew, responded to scene requests while I was suppose to be scheduled for down time which resulted in running on many more calls than the other members of our EMS. Had a small child who wanted more of dads time, still had my annual required in-service training to maintain my cert through our sponsoring hospital each year. Resisted the departments ongoing push to take on the departments role to be a Captain which would have dumped all responsibilities for running the EMS area of the department on me...took the fun right out of it. Did it for 10 years, Got sick of the politics and had to make a choice, I chose my kid and turned in my resignation and never looked back, Living in a busy rural area with lots of lakes and lakers, there was always lots of high impact trauma calls. Occasionally I'll start to miss it but then I'll hear the sirens of a coach and the rescue vehicles at 2:30 AM when its -5° F and roll back over to sleep letting the new generation of 1st responders argue with the possibility of a pissed off drunk they may meet on the call, that wrecked their car and are pissed off at them for it, and allow myself a smile. Done my time.

#9 ·
Started as a volunteer in a small dept, was there 15 years. Went to full time dept close by, was there 30 years and retired. Was a Lt and EMT-P. Long list of educational stuff, hazmat, aircraft, engineer, wild life urban interface, heavy rescue, high rise rescue and others. Best training was at the Nevada Test Site. Was there several times for different classes. A nice place to visit.

#10 ·
I have to brag a bit, my son who serves as Assistant Chief of our volunteer dept. Has accepted a full time paid position at Omaha Eppley Airport Fire Dept.
It has been a goal of his to become a professional FF for several years. He will be sent to Texas A&M for airport specific training.
Way to go Vinny, from his proud father!

Greg

#13 ·
So got an ominus outllook today looking at our data from the past 10 years on runs and we have had an 8.5% rise every year on calls so with the same parallel rise in 2029 its projected to be about twice what we run now from 2200 to 4400 alarns a year. Thats wild. so if you average that right now thats 6 calls a day for 365, that will be at 12 calls a day in 2029 terms. That is crazy. Obviously some days are slower, some are way more active. My record is 52 in one 24 hour shift. Also had 7 working structure fires in one 24 hour shift with one fatality.
We have also in 2020 had 317 times when we had multiple alarms at the sane time 2,3,4, or more. Thats crazy as well.

Reactions: greg5857
#14 ·
Tacky, you're making me tired just reading about busy days. Funny how as a young buck couldn't wait for something to happen and by the end preferred quiet days and a full nights sleep. Even now just working 3 months of the winter as an EMT a successful shift is when I don't have to treat anybody. Prefer the golf course starter's podium I'm at spring/summer/fall. Age will do that to ya.

#15 ·
I agrer, i used to be as you said spirited but now i realize you get paid the same either way after closing in on 20 years. I still enjoy a good burner until its over then dont look forward to the cleanup, and paper work. But the quiet days are the ones you get stuck with the mundane "busy" work. You know how it is. Never cared for the middle of, or all nightets but thats the job.

#17 ·
You know they did a study that stated just hearing the tones instantly activates our 0 to 110% internals even if we arent the ones getting toned out. They say over time its linked to all sorts of mental and physical problems that stack up over the years. Anybody that has lived this lifestyle understands that. If it aint the chemicals we deal with, the stress is out to get us too.

Well gping to go through the captains accessment again soon, my promotion pool expired so here i go again. position opens monday, a captain is retiring in june, so we will see what happens. Thats as far as i wanna go, no Batt Chief desk for me. Ill take the rig anyday. Was next on the list i was told before it expired, but i guess i can do it all over again.

Wish me luck.

#19 ·
You know they did a study that stated just hearing the tones instantly activates our 0 to 110% internals even if we arent the ones getting toned out. They say over time its linked to all sorts of mental and physical problems that stack up over the years. Anybody that has lived this lifestyle understands that. If it aint the chemicals we deal with, the stress is out to get us too.

Well gping to go through the captains accessment again soon, my promotion pool expired so here i go again. position opens monday, a captain is retiring in june, so we will see what happens. Thats as far as i wanna go, no Batt Chief desk for me. Ill take the rig anyday. Was next on the list i was told before it expired, but i guess i can do it all over again.

Wish me luck.
I do wish you luck and success!
Perhaps the smartest guy I knew in my career department (he was also a volunteer chief) suggested staying a FF/EMT meant not having to tell people to follow rules that you might not agree with and could not defend. I got similar advice from my dad's next door neighbor (I had moved away by then) who was a police chief. It didn't take too many years of watching the politics to agree to follow that advice and I stayed a 'soldier'.
My aversion to politics doesn't mean that you are not on the right path for you, good leaders are always needed!

Bruce

#22 ·
Im not rushing it, just do the best job i can, despite the politics, and some times negativity. We will see what the future holds.

Reactions: Maddmax
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.