Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all I discovered this problem cleaning out the rifle yesterday. I hadn't shot it, just doing a kind of random field strip. I'm not exactly sure how I missed it when I cleaned it last time.

I haven't shot it in probably a year, and the rifle itself has probably 500 rounds through it. I don't dry fire regularly, but i'm not scarred too, the rifle should be able to handle it, and when the bolt is closed, the firing pin strikes the rear of the bolt and this wear, I believe is from coming into contact with the bolt carrier; I would surmise from the extraction and ejection phases of the firing cycle.

I plan to contact Ruger Monday, what do you think their response will be?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Is that for an AR556?

I would contact Ruger, even if they send you a new one.......assuming a USGI part would fit, I would just order a $5-10 pin from someone like Fulton Armory who uses govt. grade parts and use that.

Heck in the Army we beat the hell out of M16's-M4's, we dry fired them 1,000's of times, and none of them ever had anything wierd happen to them. We even used the firing pin to poke out the pin that holds the extractor.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that for an AR556?

I would contact Ruger, even if they send you a new one.......assuming a USGI part would fit, I would just order a $5-10 pin from someone like Fulton Armory who uses govt. grade parts and use that.

Heck in the Army we beat the hell out of M16's-M4's, we dry fired them 1,000's of times, and none of them ever had anything wierd happen to them. We even used the firing pin to poke out the pin that holds the extractor.
SR556......

And yeah......beat the crap out of our rifles too. Never seen anything like it.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I would guess Ruger will replace it. I'd also pick up spare parts such as another pin so you can keep the fun going. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
where is it?

The photo I see does not show the end of the pin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wear on Wrong Side

The firing pin contacts the hammer as the bolt carrier recoils creating a significant burr on the side of the pin shoulder opposite of what the picture shows.
This apparently is "normal".
The pin in shown in the picture should not look like it does.
Contact Ruger.
In the meantime, firing pins are cheap from several suppliers.
Get a couple, put one in the rifle and keep the others for spares.
We would be interested to hear what Ruger says.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts