Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Ruger AR 556 rifle a couple weeks ago. Took to range today and was quite pleased with the performance of the rifle for the price point. It is still quite stiff and tight but am sure it will smooth up with use.
Back home took it apart to clean and had a heck of a time getting the firing pin cotter pin out. Had to use a small brass punch to remove. After cleaning putting same pin back in proved to be very difficult. In fact I never did get the original pin back in. Went to my AR spares box and got a new pin which after much work finally went in. Its almost like the holes are undersize. Not new to the AR platform as I have 3 others and that pin usually removes and installs with fingers and no tools required. Any advise? Thinking I may need to call Ruger.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have many AR's. Every BCG is different. I have two different BCG's that take a little extra care in installing the firing pin retainer. Sometimes the the cotter pin (which is what it is) splits and doesn't go through easily. but if I turn it slightly it goes in. Eugen Stoner had a different type of pin in the first Ar's, but a small cotter pin was cheaper so it became that.

Like I said I have 10 BCG's that are easy to put the pin in and two that aren't.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is exactly the same way. I've found turning it a little helps sometimes but not always. Ordered some extras (Colt firing pin retainers) to keep on hand just in case.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got a Ruger AR 556 rifle a couple weeks ago. Took to range today and was quite pleased with the performance of the rifle for the price point. It is still quite stiff and tight but am sure it will smooth up with use.
Back home took it apart to clean and had a heck of a time getting the firing pin cotter pin out. Had to use a small brass punch to remove. After cleaning putting same pin back in proved to be very difficult. In fact I never did get the original pin back in. Went to my AR spares box and got a new pin which after much work finally went in. Its almost like the holes are undersize. Not new to the AR platform as I have 3 others and that pin usually removes and installs with fingers and no tools required. Any advise? Thinking I may need to call Ruger.
Was the retaining cotter pin bent or have any half-moon strikes where it appears the firing pin bounces against the pin?

·
Registered
135 Posts
FWIW: manchinator's experience is what I've seen on one of my BCG's: turning cotter pin while pushing in will get the right spot for it to go in. I've also had a pin that was 'splayed' apart slightly and I had to use a dental pick to nudge one side to the other from inside the BCG to get it to go in. One of these days I'll order some more pins to fix that.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Try one of these pins. They cost more than the cotter type pin but they don't get splayed out like the cotter pins do and last a long, long time.
And you'll never have to wiggle, turn and fiddle with these to get them in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts