Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to get my kid into Rimfire Steel Challenge. Going to purchase a 10/22 as his competition rifle, hopefully next weekend.

Listing as follows, is a 500.00 price tag fair? Good setup?

BX trigger
Kidd 16.5” Ultra LW fluted barrel
Magpul stock with extra risers
5 magazines including some prebans
All the stock parts included that have been removed

Stock receiver has a few hundred rounds through it, the barrel has 20 or so.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My honest reaction is that the young person should be taught how to make a proper sight picture, how to squeeze off a shot, how not to flinch, etc., etc. Assuming that an intrinsically accurate firearm will make the shooter accurate is hoping for something which may not happen. There are SO MANY variables to achieve accuracy.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Planning to get my kid into Rimfire Steel Challenge. Going to purchase a 10/22 as his competition rifle, hopefully next weekend.

Listing as follows, is a 500.00 price tag fair? Good setup?

BX trigger
Kidd 16.5” Ultra LW fluted barrel
Magpul stock with extra risers
5 magazines including some prebans
All the stock parts included that have been removed

Stock receiver has a few hundred rounds through it, the barrel has 20 or so.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. A lot of good info and good people here to help you.

The rifle sounds like a good starter for your son. My question is how much has he shot a rifle? If he hasn't shot much then you should start with the basics and guide him as he progresses. A good rifle will be a big help but unless he has the discipline to learn how to shoot correctly he will always be a so so shot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate it. I should have mentioned that my kid is a pretty good shot. Been to all the safety, introductory classes and his favorite to shoot is a 9mm PCC. At 25 yards his groupings are pretty decent. Although agree he/we could always improve he is on the right track.

The reason for the interest in the 10/22 is that we are piqued by hitting some steel now. Going to the range weekly is honing his trigger control and appreciation for this sport, but think it may be time for evolving into some speed and competition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The price is okay. I have the Magpul stock and like it. Shooting steel will be great fun for him. +1 on the Kidd trigger. Expensive and excellent.

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Barrel, stock, trigger are about $350 in upgrades for the rifle. If it shoots good, at $500 not too bad. I like the BX triggers, it actually worries me a bit that I'll be teaching my daughter to shoot with it someday, mine is very light.

The best upgrades I've done to my Takedown for reliability and smoothness is a Kidd bolt and charging handle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It sounds like a good deal and should be great. I have an 18" Kidd barrel I put on mine and a BX trigger if I build another I would probably opt for a 16.5" barrel mine shoots really well when I do my part. You should always start young shooters out with the most accurate firearm you can it is easier to keep them interested if they start out hitting what they aim at. Steel targets are always satisfying I miss the competitions we used to have here, watching those little metal critters fall over with a satisfying ping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent replies. The way I see it, I will most likely upgrade the trigger, receiver and bolt one day. Depends on how the kid progresses.

Two options: buy the one mentioned in first post and upgrade from there OR start from scratch and build one with handpicked parts. I’m sure either option will be a pretty penny all said and done. What path would you recommend?

·
Registered
998 Posts
What 22lr rifle and pistol is he shooting now? Do you need a rifle and pistol for steel challenge?

You mention "I" and "we" in previous posts, but what does "he" want to do?

It it were me, I'd start with the a basic set up and go from there if "he" is really into it. If he gets hooked, then upgrade.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Excellent replies. The way I see it, I will most likely upgrade the trigger, receiver and bolt one day. Depends on how the kid progresses.

Two options: buy the one mentioned in first post and upgrade from there OR start from scratch and build one with handpicked parts. I’m sure either option will be a pretty penny all said and done. What path would you recommend?
Depends on what you want to do with the gun. If you just want to shoot steel I would buy the gun and use it and upgrade if you feel anymore upgrades are needed.

If you want to do some serious precision shooting later on then I would build one from scratch using handpicked parts to put the gun together with precision shooting as the goal.

The cheapest way would be to buy the gun and upgrade as necessary but it depends on what you want to end up with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts