Ruger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
As a relatively new member (back for the first time in some years), I just found this thread today from the forum's weekly round up email newsletter. (Wow; that's a stellar feature!) Haven't read it all yet -- didn't get to it until after dinner -- but will read and follow. From what I've read so far, there's some great advice here for new owners.

I'm soon going to buy my first 10/22 also. Color me excited. Will start a thread about the project, I think even before I get it (still at least a couple of weeks off) to discuss what I think I want to do in upgrades (for me, mostly stock and sights for now).

So, I'll read here with interest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a 10/22 Target earlier this year. Lots of shooting fun. I did mount a scope as the Target does not come with sights. All of my shooting has been on an indoor range of about 30 yards. It's way too hot in the summer here for outdoor shooting when the alternate is an a/c indoor facility.

I experimented with ammo the last two sessions at the range. I narrowed down the better performers and last session I shot just Federal match and CCI mini mag.

Given my ability, the Federal match had consistently tighter groups than the CCI. Federal is a bit less costly and readily available in bulk packs. I have a couple of speed loaders and I find the bulk pack easier to use.

Hoping to get to outdoor range soon. Anxious to see how this rifle will do at longer distance.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
You just don't know until you try.

There are a couple of youtube videos from a fellow who calls himself TheGoatMumbler who tried shooting a bunch of different types of 22LR with his Ruger 10/22 with KIDD 16.5" lightweight fluted barrel.

At both 50 and 100 yards, Federal Auto-Match had the tightest groups beating CCI Green Tag, CCI Tactical, CCI Mini-mag, CCI Standard Velocity, Norma Match, SK Match, and Federal Gold Medal.

But that is not the common result. Keep in mind that Federal Auto Match may yield good groups at 30 yards, but open up considerably at longer distances.

Federal Auto Match works fair-to-middling in my 10/22s. One rifle stovepipes with it with some regularity. I expect about 1-2% misfires with it, regardless of rifle, although often a misfired round will ignite if reinserted in the magazine and and the rifle is allowed another whack at the primer. The worst thing about it for me is a significantly higher percentage of "fliers". Eight or nine rounds out of a 10 round group will be pretty tight, and one or two will be way out in left or right field, which is discouraging when target shooting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
good thread here! part of the fun of shooting my Rugers (10/22, Chargers, and rimfire wheelguns) is trying out different brands and types of ammo... some of ammo i have on hand (not counting .22WMR):

Aguila Colibri
Aguila Super Extra LRN
CCI .22Short CB
CCI .22LR Quiet
CCI SV LRN
CCI Mini-mag HP and RN
CCI Velocitors
CCI Stingers
Fiocchi CPSV (HVCRN)
Remington Subsonic HP
Remingont Golden HP
Winchester M-22

i have had some really enjoyable range sessions with my Rugers and learn something new every time i go to my indoor or outdoor range

i use red dots, scopes, and iron sights... lately i've been challenging myself with a new Shopkeeper, which slows down the entire process of loading, shooting, and unloading - quite restful but also exciting when some accuracy is achieved!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
40 Posts
Never have understood why anyone would spend 12 bucks on an extractor before you break one. I have numerous (double digits) 10-22's and have broken exactly 0 extractors. This after firing literally 10's of 1000's of rounds. I did buy an extra years ago but have never needed it. So if you think you need one, spend the money so you will have a spare. I believe Ruger has built over 4 million 10-22's and I have heard very little about everyone breaking the extractors. If/when you have a minor issue with it extracting a spent round, it is usually nothing that you can't fix yourself in 5 minutes with a small, fine file.

·
Registered
229 Posts
what i like about the 10/22 extractor is that it is a match for the MK-series pistols too (and vice versa) - very nice to have a spare part that can do double duty!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
ajgunner, Factory extractors very rarely break, however because they are a "stamped part", it is not unusual to get a new gun that doesn't want to cycle properly or an older gun where the sharp claw has worn. Stovepipes are a clue the extractor isn't doing its job. In semi-autos, extractors only "extract" when the bolt is manually operated. When the gun is fired, chamber pressure will thrust the spent case back and push the bolt back with it. The extractor's job is to hold the case rim tight against the bolt face until the case head contacts the ejector and flings the spent case out of the receiver. If the extractor lets go too soon, the spent case will literally fall out and might remain in the receiver. When the bolt moves forward, it will pick up a fresh cartridge and try to chamber it but the spent case gets in the way and results in a stovepipe.

I don't know what the statistics are (failures per 1000) but I used to keep a dozen 10/22 / MK Series extractors in stock (same exact part) in my shop and always had to order another dozen each month. Most of the replacements went into new or near new guns. I highly recommend either Power Custom or Volquartsen aftermarket extractors if your 10/22 or MK series pistols has stovepipes. Sometimes defective extractors can also cause feeding problems. You may have noticed …. none of these issues involve broken extractors.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here's an excerpt from above with addition from me of bold font and an emoticon.

I don't know what the statistics are (failures per 1000) but I used to keep a dozen 10/22 / MK Series extractors in stock (same exact part) in my shop and always had to order another dozen each month. [ :eek: ] Most of the replacements went into new or near new guns. I highly recommend either Power Custom or Volquartsen aftermarket extractors if your 10/22 or MK series pistols has stovepipes. Sometimes defective extractors can also cause feeding problems. You may have noticed …. none of these issues involve broken extractors.
As a soon-to-be new 10/22 owner, I can see it's going to cost a few more $ than I'd planned (rifle, stock, sights, now extractor).

Learning lots here. Thanks, all. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
21 Posts
I hate the 10/22. They're cheap $200 rifles, and even if you end up spending $1000 on one to modify it, it still isn't as accurate as a Savage bolt action .22 that costs half as much.

That said, brown Santa should be delivering the scope for my Charger today. And I need to choose a light scope for the lightweight 10/22 I'm currently assembling for my wife. That's $2k right there for a pair of 10/22s. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Super excited to have a 10/22! Got the standard, black carbine. Just a couple of questions.

Looking to make a couple of upgrades including the volquartsen extractor and auto release. With the extractor, it says they make it with very sharp edges. May be a dumb question, but this extractor won't chew up any other metal in which it travels, right? I'm fairly new to rifles and want to make sure before I install.

I'm mainly using this to shoot around at a range with. Any advice on ammo? I usually pop in at Walmart for my 9mm Federal ammo for target shooting and would like to get it all in one fell swoop, but don't want to run my gun dirty. So if I have to order online, so be it. Would rather keep it in good shape. I'm seeing CCI standard and Federal have been okay. True?

May change the sights. I hear good things about the tech 100 sights. Anything good with something a little brighter..like a fiber optic-type setup? Not likely to use a scope anytime soon. If I do, I may have a co-sight setup.

Thanks for your help in advance! Love me some Ruger!
I'm a little late to this read, but I always take my new guns home, clean them really well, and shoot them before I start trying any mods. "Everyone" says you should do this or that to a 10/22, but I have one that will hit a quarter at 50 yards consistently if I do my part, and it is 100% stock out of the box. Yes, triggers and sights and all the other things are fun to add, but give it a try before putting all the "stuff" on it.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I would not swap out the extractor on a 10/22 that was functioning perfectly, but in one that is stove piping with multiple different magazines, and continues to do so after a good inspection and cleaning, the extractor is the first thing that gets changed.

Currently, the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor for the 10/22 costs $8.72 at Optics Planet. This part change will frequently cure failures to eject, is inexpensive, and easy to do.

If you are participating in events such as Rimfire Sporter competitions or Project Appleseed that involve timed stages of fire, a single stove pipe malfunction will frequently kill your score for the entire course of fire. A stove pipe that occurs in that setting is rather more painful than one that occurs when you are plinking at beer cans or golf balls.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The release is probably a good idea, but VQ is the most expensive of all the options on the market. You can modify the factory release in a few minutes with a small file or a Dremel tool - see YouTube. Unless you have an extractor problem, why spend the $$ ? I've been shooting 10/22s since the 60s, and have NEVER had a problem with anything.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
xrf4cdriver, You are very fortunate …. many other people aren't as lucky. Just a quick question ….. Why is it that at least 3 different aftermarket companies make extractors for 10/22s / MK Series pistols when no other brand/model of rim fire rifle or pistol even have aftermarket extractors available? There must be a reason??? Could it possibly be that some Ruger extractors are junk parts?

I currently own 4ea 10/22s and 3ea MK Series pistols that all take the same extractor. 2 of my 10/22s and one MK III pistol were shipped with defective extractors and now function 100% reliable with Power Custom Exact Edge extractors. The other two 10/22s and two MK series pistols have factory extractors and function just fine. Point being …. just because a 10/22 extractor works well in one gun, it certainly doesn't mean they all work equally well.

I do agree …. if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you get a factory extractor that works reliably, chances are it will last a long time. I also agree …. take the gun to the range and put it through the paces before you start changing parts. That said, some of us don't want to end up with a gun that resembles a 10/22 Carbine so we do all sorts of stuff to make them the way we want them. Here's a good example …. aftermarket .920 bull barrel, target grade stock, lots of internal modifications, and a good scope. It's a tack driver that doesn't look much like a 10/22 except the receiver. It also doesn't shoot like a 10/22 Carbine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Back in my early to mid-teens -- seems like half a century ago -- very soon after the 10/22 was introduced, my parents finally said I could get a .22 (LR). That was after a BB rifle at 7, a pellet rifle at 9, my first shotgun (20 ga) at 11 or 12. I safely handled all of those without harming anyone or anything except small mammals and birds that -- along with the fish I caught in local lakes -- helped our dirt poor family stay alive.

So I researched .22 rifles (as best I could in magazines; not the ones that fit into rifles, but the paper ones; that was WAY, WAY, WAY before the Internet existed).

My choices boiled down to the new Ruger 10/22 or the Remington Nylon 66. I chose the 66 because it had that super-lightweight nylon stock (most of us back then were still saying, what is nylon, again? :confused:) and a skinny fore end. Tubular mag was a pain, but it fed well and brought home tree rats.

At the same time, my friend Mike bought the 10/22 in wood, the only way it came then. He was at least as effective with it as I was with the 66.

I no longer own the 66. Sold it decades ago. It's no longer produced.

I'm just now about to purchase my first 10/22.

Better late than never, they say. Color me ... eager.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use CCI Mini-Mags in my 10/22. They seem to be the cleanest shooting .22LR rounds that I can find. The cleaner a gun is, the more rounds it will reliably shoot before needing cleaning. (2 of us have put 300+ rounds through a single rifle during a day of shooting.)

Aguila is also a good round that isn't too dirty. Remington makes a good .22LR also.

Federal and Fiocchi are 2 of the dirtiest rounds of .22LR. I don't shoot them.

Since I have found these brands, I don't sound other ammo. As they are now reasonably priced and readily available, I bought a lot of these.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Just a quick question ….. Why is it that at least 3 different aftermarket companies make extractors for 10/22s / MK Series pistols when no other brand/model of rim fire rifle or pistol even have aftermarket extractors available?
That's not quite right. Both Volquartsen and TandemKross sell replacement "improved" extractors for the S&W Victory, S&W M&P15-22, Walther P22 and the Remington 597. So Ruger isn't the only one.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts