Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I've run over 600 rounds of various types through my LC9, and give it a good cleaning after every trip to the range... and until now haven't had one problem. Found Winchester white box at Wal-mart, and thought the $26 / 100 price too good to pass up. After less than 50, THREE hang-ups... had to tug the spent brass out with a pocket knife. Blew two mags of my "carry" ammo (Hornady Critical Defense) with no problems just to make sure I didn't have a big problem on my hands. Anyone else had this kind of problem? A friend said it was because I was lubing with gunoil instead of grease, and that's on my shopping list now... but it's not like I don't make sure it's clean and oiled before I head to the range.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Had the same problem with WWB in my SR9....probably under-powered ammo. Using gun oil is fine IMHO. I've been using Hoppes for a while.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ive shot a couple hundred of those without any issue. Might be a bad lot. for me its just practice ammo but like to see it all go bang anyway.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Some pistols just don't like certain brands of ammo.
If you have another 9mm, try the WWB in it.
Picked up 200 rds of WWB but haven't tried it in my SR9C or LC9.
LC handles Federal Eagle, Tula BrassMax, PMC, Hertzer, Hornady CD and ZMax
With no problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
When I started visiting this site 21 months ago, the WWB was well thought of. Now I'm seeing several complaints on the ammo, along with some other brands.

So far, my SR40 still eats it up. I hope my luck holds, as I still have 1,000 rounds accumulated.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Don't know too much about 9mm but I can say that lube with oil and not much of it is preferred.

Key on that last part. Don't over lube. I have a Sig P230 (380) that will just stop if it's over lubed. Keep pistols almost dry per their manuals and the mags totally dry at least as a starting point.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Don't know too much about 9mm but I can say that lube with oil and not much of it is preferred. Right off hand the ONLY place I can think of where grease is required is on my M1A's bolt. There's a roller that requires it. Other than that I've never seen a manual that requires grease. (Personally, I'm a Frog Lube guy)

Don't over lube. I have a Sig P230 (380) that will just stop if it's over lubed. Keep pistols almost dry per their manuals. Most pistols require maybe 4 drops of proper GUN oil and that's it. Keep the mags totally dry at least as a starting point.

Generally WWB is ok ammo. You may want to check that the box(es) you're using are clean too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine used to hang up sometimes when it was dirty. That used to be my signal to take it home and clean it.

Is it possible that there was some crud left over in the chamber? (please don't think I'm criticizing your cleaning methods, but I know that I have run "one more" patch through it and left a bunch of fuz after I thought it was clean).

My LC9s had some issues, but they always ate everything I could find to load in them, including a bunch of WWB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts