Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ruger AR 556 is my first AR. I just shot 300 rounds trouble free. Everything works without a hitch. The rifle doesn't have any of the problems listed in some posts. There must have been a run of bad rifles as it's hard to find negative comments about the AR 556 before and after about a two-week period a month ago. I'm sure someone will present links to the contrary, but overall the reviews have been excellent.

Two questions:

- The trigger worked well, but it has an extremely palpable and loud "click" on reset. Is this normal for AR's, or is it just this model?

- Regarding the cold hammer forged barrel (no chrome or melonite). On Ruger's site, it lists some features of the CHF barrel as "... longevity and easy cleaning..." which are precisely the positive features of chrome-lined or melonited barrels. When searching for info on cold hammer forged barrels, I can find plenty on those with chrome-lining, but nothing on CHF barrels without. Does the CHF barrel -- without chrome -- have similar durability as one with chrome or melonite treatment? If not, then how does the durability of a CHF barrel compare with a standard one?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Welcome!

1. Yes the trigger should click when it resets.

2. For most of us, chrome lined barrels are overrated. No, the Ruger's barrel is not as durable as a chrome lined one, but most of us will never wear out an AR barrel.

If you plan to regularly over heat your barrel by doing multiple mag dumps every time you go to the range, I imagine you can burn out your bore fairly quickly. For normal shooting, the barrel Ruger uses is perfectly fine.

Enjoy your new rifle. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response ditto 1958.

As far as the click, I realize that is should do that, and all my other firearms click with reset, but this AR556 clicks about ten times louder than my other guns. I have VZ2008's, SKS's, Ruger 77/357, Beretta CX4, as well as semi auto hand guns, and they all click with a reset, but this Ruger is very loud. It's not necessarily a bad thing as for the maiden 300 rounds the trigger worked perfectly, I'm just wondering if it's a characteristic of AR15's in general or Ruger AR556's specifically. I was inquiring to see if it was something unusual and maybe indicative of an emerging problem. If that's the way it is, however, then so be it. So far it's a great rifle.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
The AR-556 has a pretty much standard military trigger. They're clunky, gritty, creepy, heavy.... but they work. Our soldiers and Marines have been able to shoot just fine with triggers like that since about 1965.

I actually kind of like the trigger in my AR-556, but many people hate milspec AR triggers and replace them as soon as they can.

I think yours is just fine. It's not gonna break any time soon.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome aboard! I just picked up my first AR 556 2 months ago and love it! Found a new hobby and can not wait to modify it a little bit!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard! I just picked up my first AR 556 2 months ago and love it! Found a new hobby and can not wait to modify it a little bit!
Thanks for the welcome.

I like this rifle but will probably leave it as it is. Maybe a red dot as AR's seem to beg for it. Even so, the peep sight works fine for my 100 yard or less range.

I did do two mild mods:

- I staked the castle nut. I got a spring loaded punch off of Amazon for about six bucks and was able to do it cleanly in about two minutes.

- I put a strip of loop-side velcro under the stock. It reduced the wobble in the front positions and eliminated it in the back two. Huge improvement.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have no specific experience with the AR-556 (and not a ton with ARs in general), but I did learn a thing or two while building my AR. I can't be sure without feeling and hearing your trigger, but it sounds like a normal milspec trigger to me. As for the CHF barrels being durable, it's complicated. Arfcom has the best explanation I've seen, though I'm loathe to admit it. CHF introduces stresses into the barrel, but that will certainly have less impact on accuracy than the heat stringing of a pencil profile barrel or the uneven surface of a chrome lining. Any reputable maker takes steps to relieve these stresses in some way. CHF also work hardens the barrel, but I haven't seen anything showing that it slows barrel wear any more or less than a surface treatment. The material used and the heat treat also factor into this. There's just to much to look at to get a clean answer.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Thanks for th.....

- I staked the castle nut. I got a spring loaded punch off of Amazon for about six bucks and was able to do it cleanly in about two minut...t.
Opps, I"m too late. Not something that's really needed but something you'll hate yourself in the morning for.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
And...? Please elaborate.
IMHO: staking that nut really isn't worth anything. There are plenty of ARs out there w/o it. Plus if you want to add a ring there for a sling or anything else you have to deal with the staking. My Stags are staked and it was a PITA when I added the above.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, Spike. I thought about that but I'm not worried as I don't think I'm going to touch anything else on this rifle. I like it the way it is and really don't have the need for all the trick snap-on accessories that really don't do much for the dollars spent. I have a friend with a $2000 Noveske that's geared to the hilt and when it comes to shooting clays, he doesn't do much better than the others in our group with iron sights.

Sitting at a bench I can see all that money start to pay off when you can make holes touch each other, but the bench is not the real world and I like to shoot offhand or maybe using a branch as a rest. When I used to play guitar I'd encounter these guys who'd spent loads on the latest Charvel or Jackson with action so low and strings so light that they'd rip around the frets like Yngwie on five crack hits but then hand them a Stratocaster or a Les Paul or -- god forbid -- an acoustic and they'd fumble with those cable-wire strings and sky-high action. Good for playing while sitting on the side of your bed, but not out in the real world with other musicians.

If I do get the urge to modify, I think I would instead build one with all the desirable features. This AR556 is a great buy for $600, and I'm very happy with mine, but I think that for an extra $300 one could be built with the treated barrel, shrouded carrier, chrome this-and-that, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi bodrika, I'm like you and bought my first AR. bought the AR556, my only gripe was the usual Ruger lawyer trigger, After spending full blown retail for the rifle because of high demand in my area, I bought the Ruger elite 452 trigger kit for another $100 plus. It is in my opinion the only upgrade the rifle needs to be a great shooter, its a easy install too. I love mine. I just wish Ruger would put the dam trigger in at the factory

1 - 13 of 13 Posts