Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first semi-automatic pistol i have owned, purchased this SR40 for home protection and love it so far. I read a few reviews that bashed the trigger and ejection problems, i do not plan to shoot this gun in compatition so the trigger pull was fine for me. As for ejection problems, i purchased a box of Winchester 180 grain FMJ and on a visit to my Mother who lives in the boonies fired two clips thru it before she came out and said that was enough. I had no problems with this ammo, i would just stick to what works but it is a little expensive to just blow holes in a paper target. Can someone suggest another manufactuer that is not so pricey but will serve my purpose. I also purchased a box of Winchester 165 grain Elite PDX1 Defender for home defence, have not fired any of these, way to expensive to plink with.

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
kjp ... Welcome from SW Ohio & congrats on your new SR40 ... Glad to have you aboard!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum - from "The Mountain State" of West Virginia

I am guessing that is the Winchester White Box ammo like what is available at Walmart. I bought a box of 50 for $19.97 so that is about .40 cents per round - that is about as cheap as you can do on .40 cal unless you buy in large quantities.
A LGS around here has American Eagle Federal for $315 for a case of 1000 rds. That is as cheap as I have seen .40 cal ammo.
Not cheap to shoot, that is for sure!! I do most of my practice with .22 these days.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Welcome. I have a early production SR40. It has near 3000 down the barrel with out one failure of any type. The only factory rounds have been a few hundred Winchester WB and maybe 75 Hornady, the rest my own loads. I love this gun!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Great gun choice. Welcome to the forum from up here in North Dakota where we're preparing for summer.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Congratulations and enjoy your new SR40.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I know the home defense ammo is expensive. BUT you want to shoot enough of it to make sure you and your SR40 are happy with it.

An emergency is NOT the time to test out new, untried, ammo with an semi-auto pistol.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
This is my first automatic pistol i have owned, purchased this SR40 for home protection and love it so far. I read a few reviews that bashed the trigger and ejection problems, i do not plan to shoot this gun in compatition so the trigger pull was fine for me. As for ejection problems, i purchased a box of Winchester 180 grain FMJ and on a visit to my Mother who lives in the boonies fired two clips thru it before she came out and said that was enough. I had no problems with this ammo, i would just stick to what works but it is a little expensive to just blow holes in a paper target. Can someone suggest another manufactuer that is not so pricey but will serve my purpose. I also purchased a box of Winchester 165 grain Elite PDX1 Defender for home defence, have not fired any of these, way to expensive to plink with.
You might look at Freedom Munitons they sell great loads and have what is called blaster ammo for a bit cheaper for practice. But my suggestion is reload. It can be as fun as shooting.

Ammunition Online at Factory Direct Prices | Freedom Munitions | Handgun Ammo & Rifle Ammo

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to Walmart to get another box of Winchester 180 grain FMJ ammo to do a little more shooting, but they were out of the 180, i did buy a box of Federal Champion 180 grain FMJ. The Wichester case is beveled in toward the bullet where as the Remington case is not, so i did not use them fearing that they might cause me jaming issues. I went back to Walmart and purchased a 100 round box of Winchester 165 grain FMJ ammo, these worked great just like the 180 grain ones.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Welcome.

As a side note and FYI - your pistol is a semi-automatic. NOT the same as an automatic. No big deal since I think we all know what you mean, but using the wrong term w/ some crowds will throw people into a tizzy.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Welcome from an Alabama transplant living in Missouri. Glad to have you with us.

Many years ago I spent a lot of time in Dothan...great town...always enjoyed the Peanut Festival. Do they still have that?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Agree with Spike. After I'm finished shooting with my practice ammo I always run a mag or two of my home defense ammo. Just the peace of mind that it works is worth the cost.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Welcome friend. Great choice of firearm, a real gem. I make sure I buy a few boxes of ammo with every paycheck, both target and home defense rounds. 40 cal ammo is very expensive which I can't figure out, which is why I went with the SR9.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So sorry for my mistake BuckeyeBlast. Yes Kudzu, the festival actually starts this friday and run thru next sunday, Dothan will be a madhouse.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Nice firearms choice. i never use any semi auto for serious purposes until I have put 200 rounds of the ammunition i am going to use for the serious purpose thru it. I know serious purpose ammo is expensive but whart is your life worth.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts