Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a #1 in 300 Win Mag for a couple of years but was hesitant to us it because it was so dang nice. Well decided this was the year for the maiden voyage. Well popped a decent 7 point at about 300 yds with a 168 gr BT. Ok laugh, using a cannon on a little Penna whitetail. Well I just turned 70 and am too darn old to drag.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Use it. Wear it out (if that is possible). Buy another one.
I wanted an RSI in 30-06; wife said buy it before you're eighty years old.
Took her advice; have had for a few years now.
Shot several deer and a bobcat with it.
Each nick and scratch has a story, even if I made it up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
pictures please! I just like to see what other people get.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Congratulations, that is what I purchased my #1 for. :D
Did you get any pics ? ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
lee044
I've had my Stainless #1A (6.5x55 Swede) for about three years as well. Thanksgiving PM I dropped a nice fat meat doe @ about 65 yds. That 160 gr. RN sure worked well!
That rifle has now been christened and will be seeing the woods much more often!

Regards,
Skyhunter

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't help but love that. Bloodied my 1A in .270 last year on a dandy 8 point. Didn't really get to stretch it's legs as the thing appeared 18 yards from my tree suddenly after first shooting light. My hunting partners been trying to talk me out of it ever since. Good luck there, pal!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
lee044,

I know the feeling about the nice looking rifles in the woods, but the #1 just gives me so much pride of ownership, it is a joy to carry.

Especially those like my RUGER #1s- 45/70 with the 22" barrel. Ooooooh so nice to carry and use in the woods.

Made the mistake of putting a Really fancy stock on my old RUGER .243 "Flatbolt" quite a few years back, and mentioned to my oldest son that due to the fancy stock I didn't like to carry it in the woods because I didn't want to ding it.

Without so much as a grin he said he was going to use it. Meaning when I'm gone it will get used.

That kind of puts things in perspective!

I still remember the joy my first #1B - a 7mm mag gave me as I sat on the hill side in SouthEast Washington during the first elk hunt with that rifle. Didn't get an elk that trip, although that rifle did take my first elk, but what a great memory of that long ago hunt.

I waited a long time for a RUGER Redlable, but it turn into a "safe queen" and finally went down the road to buy the 45/70. The 870 that replaced the Redlable, proforms the same "hunting" function, but the #1 - 45/70 is the one making the memories - 4 deer and 2 elk with my 45/70 and home cast boolits in the past 3 seasons.

Use and enjoy!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
45 Posts
lee044,

I know the feeling about the nice looking rifles in the woods, but the #1 just gives me so much pride of ownership, it is a joy to carry.

Especially those like my RUGER #1s- 45/70 with the 22" barrel. Ooooooh so nice to carry and use in the woods.

Made the mistake of putting a Really fancy stock on my old RUGER .243 "Flatbolt" quite a few years back, and mentioned to my oldest son that due to the fancy stock I didn't like to carry it in the woods because I didn't want to ding it.

Without so much as a grin he said he was going to use it. Meaning when I'm gone it will get used.

That kind of puts things in perspective!

I still remember the joy my first #1B - a 7mm mag gave me as I sat on the hill side in SouthEast Washington during the first elk hunt with that rifle. Didn't get an elk that trip, although that rifle did take my first elk, but what a great memory of that long ago hunt.

I waited a long time for a RUGER Redlable, but it turn into a "safe queen" and finally went down the road to buy the 45/70. The 870 that replaced the Redlable, proforms the same "hunting" function, but the #1 - 45/70 is the one making the memories - 4 deer and 2 elk with my 45/70 and home cast boolits in the past 3 seasons.

Use and enjoy!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
What a great post! Everything U just said rings true to me!!! And yet I side with your son on the "it will get used" thing!!! Rifles are made to be used and grow more lovely with age and wear. NOT ABUSE!!!!! Please remember that there can be no fond memories if the rifle isn't used and cared for. NORA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.