Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you go with? The rifle is the Ruger American Rifle in .243

For my families Christmas eve gift exchange we get a small gift, and technically my rifle is my Christmas present so for the eve I said I wanted some rounds for the rifle. I told them that a box of the Federal Power-Shok .243 Winchester, 80gr SP would be just fine. Obviously I have a while til Christmas so I can change it. Im looking for a round that will be consistent, reliable, accurate, as well as for sighting in and the eventual hunting trip. Did I make a mistake suggesting that brand/model of ammunition?

I do know that some guns like some bullets better than others do and believe me, id love to grab a box of every round on the shelf to see which is best sighting in and hunting but im not that rich ;)

Suggestions welcome/appreciated. As well as any other tips to pass a new gun owner.

·
Registered
421 Posts
yer gonna have to go fer the gold on that till u shoot it , it will talk to u

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should be fine with that choice, but for hunting 80 grn bullet might be a little light for deer if you plan to hunt it. Enjoy your rifle.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Try the 100gr soft point; should be just right...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will take everything into consideration! In IL we cant hunt deer with a rifle :(. I was thinking maybe get a box of the 80, and a box of the 100 and see how that works for me. kind of then have 2 ends of the spectrum covered. Should be delivered tomorrow but cant pick it up until Thursday since I am gone for work :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By gosh! I had to look that one up. You can't even use pistol caliber carbines for hunting in IL. You could use a .45-70 Govt caliber 'handgun', though...

We barely get to breathe without a permit... at least i dont have emissions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.