Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up today.

Trigger seems stiff in DA, but I here that will improve after use.
Next up a GP100 .357 Mag with 6 inch barrel.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nice gun, but your next one will be even better .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice. Next one you should look at is the same gun in 357mag :D
I got the SP101 so both my wife and I could shoot it.
I think for the .357mag I'll go with the GP100. I think the larger size would be more comfortable in my hands.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You are correct about the GP100. IMHO the 6 or 4" GP100 shooting 38spl is equivalent to shooting the 22lr in the SP101 that you own. I do have both the SP101 in 357mag and shoot 38spl through it and it is very controllable and recoil isn't bad at all at least for him. 357mag is a little more potent but still very controllable in the SP101 and a lot lighter recoil in the GP100'S.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Also on the GP100's in 6 or 4 " versions changing the front sight's is a piece of cake. Takes seconds.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats on the new revolver. If you like the SP101 in .22LR you are going to LOVE the GP100 in .357.

Make sure and post up some pictures when you get it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Congrats on a great revolver and welcome to the board!

The trigger on both of the Ruger DA revolvers I've owned smoothed out and lightened up after firing it for a while.

I like the 4.2" GP 100 personally but the 6" does have a lot of advantages including more muzzle velocity and the longer sight radius.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Have fun with your new revolver. You will be surprised how much better the GP100 will shoot when you decide to get it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Don't expect the .22 SP's DA trigger to lighten up much, it's not always the best choice for people of lesser hand strength.

I have family members that can barely even cock it in SA.

Very fond of mine, just saying some buy the gun thinking it's a great choice for "kids & wimmen", when it isn't. :)
Denis

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the same gun and bought the 3 spring kit from Wolf. Settled on the lightest and it helped greatly by reducing the trigger pull. It's very easy to install and the gun functions fine. Great gun. As is the GP100.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think for the .357mag I'll go with the GP100. I think the larger size would be more comfortable in my hands.
I have a SP101/.22LR, and it's a very nice shooting handgun. Accuracy is quite good with most ammo, I have lots, reliability and function are 100% with quality ammo. I bought one for my oldest daughter when she turned 21, she loves it.

I also have a SP101/4" in .357. Another very nice handgun. Maybe the best trail gun ever, with a neck and neck comparison with a M60 S&W 3".
My 6" GP100 is a much nicer handgun to shoot, and makes the heaviest .357 loads manageable.

To carry in the woods, SP101. To shoot or hunt, GP100.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have both the SP101 .357 and the GP100. You are correct.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't expect the .22 SP's DA trigger to lighten up much, it's not always the best choice for people of lesser hand strength.

I have family members that can barely even cock it in SA.

Very fond of mine, just saying some buy the gun thinking it's a great choice for "kids & wimmen", when it isn't. :)
Denis
Wife and I are going shooting today.
In case she finds this gun too difficult to shoot, what would you recommend for her? and LCR maybe?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
What I would recommend for her is HER going to a well-stocked gunshop & physically handling several alternatives to see what works in her hand.
Then consider recoil & type of use (range, woods-plinking, defense). :)
Denis

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, she did great yesterday. Had no trouble shooting SA. Her hand got tired after shooting several rounds DA but I kind of expected that. She's hooked and wants to continue shooting with me.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If she can handle it, and she's happy, you're in business.

The DA on that model is a problem for a lot of shooters, so she's not alone.
Just don't shoot DA. :)
Denis

·
Registered
224 Posts
If she can handle it, and she's happy, you're in business.

The DA on that model is a problem for a lot of shooters, so she's not alone.
Just don't shoot DA. :)
Denis
Agree with Denis. If your wife can handle the SP in double action, she is better than me. My SP101 wore a blister on my trigger within twelve rounds. For me it became a single action revolver. I would agree on a GP100 for your next purchase.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're the handy type, Ruger SP101 Trigger Job Guide will guide you in making the SP101 trigger pull smoother and easier. Rim-fire guns require a more powerful firing pin strike than most center fire rounds, so reduced-power springs can only go so far. Too light strikes will cause failures to fire. That's no fun even for a range gun.
The action can be smoothed out a lot for practically nothing, except time.
Just wait until you get your hands on that GP (General Purpose) 100! You'll be a Ruger fan for life. (probably already are. I am)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts