Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. A couple weeks ago I finally purchased my first handgun, a P90TH. I've been hunting for about 12 years now and am fairly familiar with rifles and shotguns, but my handgun experience is pretty limited.

I have a few questions about my P90...

1) I've been shooting at my cabin at about 20 yards, which, from what I've been reading in here, is a little far for a handgun. Pretty much all of my shots are left on the target. They are still making the paper, so they're not too bad, but probably anywhere from 1-8 inches left. I know the rear sight is adjustable on my P90, but would you recommend trying to correct this? I'm a little nervous that I'm going to adjust it too far and end up with a mess trying to realign the sight at all. Especially considering that (from what I've read) it takes quite a bit of force to get the rear sight to move at all.

2) My P90 was used, and the white dots on the sights just don't cut it. I read that model paint works well for these. Do I have to remove the old paint, or can I just slap some on there?

3) I've been looking for a thigh holster for my P90. I've tried on my brother's and I like the way it feels and the sturdiness of having the gun on my leg. His is for a S&W though and I'm having a bit of a problem finding one for my P90. Any suggestions? The only one I could find was this one from blade-tech: http://www.blade-tech.com/Tactical-Thigh-holsters-pr-875.html
Any thoughts on the brand or the specific model?

4) Ammunition. I realize I could probably ask 5 people and get 5 different answers, but this is what I decided on for ammo. I'm shooting mag-tech FMJ for practice since they're fairly affordable. For personal defense, I went with Hornady 230 grain TAP-FPD (https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=f2052c19978003cb6085adead52ee5b6)
Is 230 grain too much? Should I move down to 200 or 185?
I didn't see anything in the manual about shooting +P ammunition, but considering my P90 is fairly new (2006), I'm assuming it'll be ok. I shot about 10 rounds of the TAP-FPD and everything went smoothly.

Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
1. See how the gun shoots at 7 yards, then work back from there. Shooting to the left is a very common problem that stems from jerking the trigger/anticipating recoil.
2. You can just paint over the old paint. White Out works pretty good too.
3. never owned a thigh holster, so can't help you there.
4. Hornady 230 grain TAP ammo is an outstanding choice. I use 230 grain bullets for all my .45ACP shooting.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I agree with gunman42782 about trying the 7 yd thing. And shoot with the gun resting on something. Then you can see if the gun needs adjustment or you. Before moving the rear sight to the right, mark the edge of it first, so you will know how far you've moved it. Or so you have a starting point if you go bonkers on the adjustment. Can't help with holsters either. I used a little pure white paint I had at home. Tiny dab on end of a toothpick and just set it on each dot. Voila! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1 on trying closer. also may have someone else shoot it and see how they do. One last thing and its hard to explain but how is the sun hitting your sights? Sunlight in the late afternoon or early morning can play tricks on the sights.

My thigh rig was a bianchi UM-84 rig. Used it with flap. A bit pricey but it was top notch. This is the holster (in black)that i used.
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=UM84II

in conjunction with this item http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=M1425

the holster is ambidexterus and the flap can be removed and a thumb break installed if desired. Not cheap but it is top notch. Keeps the weapon secure and protected when things get down and dirty and you have to crawl thru crap. You can also wear it as a belt holster and can also convert it to shoulder rig harness carry.
All together a good rig for serious business.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have the exact same model and I love it. I've carried it for about six years now.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A nice P90. Ditto on shooting at 7 yards at first. Most of my shooting at an indoor range is from 7 to 10 yards with my auto loaders.:)
Baker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts