Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally purchased my very first handgun (two at the same time) and I'm really looking forward to breaking into the gun world. I don't have much shooting experience (none at all with handguns), but when I was about 13 I went duck hunting a few times with a 20 gauge shotgun. That's about the last time I fired a gun (I'm 27 now) and I'm eager to finally get into something I've had a lot of interest in for a while.

I've tried to do some research (with my limited gun knowledge) on my first purchases, so this is what I ended up getting ... Ruger SR9C, and a Bersa Thunder 380 ... Why this combination? Hell if I know. I love the SR9C, I did a lot of research before purchasing it and couldn't come across any bad/horrible reviews on the gun. I'm a smaller guy, so when I start to conceal carry I want to be able to hide a gun well (hence the Bersa 380).

I did look into the LC9 and the LCP .. The LCP was just too small for me, and I didn't like all the negative reviews on the LC9. Since I was already getting the SR9C as my 9mm, I figured I'd go with the Bersa for me 380.

What actually led me to the Bersa was my interest in the Walther PPK .. And sitting next to it in the display case was this Bersa at $250 less than the PPK - I quickly got out my phone and did some researching on the Bersa vs. PPK and surprisingly a lot of people favored the Bersa over the PPK. So that's how I ended up with these two pistols.

What sucks now is I'm itching to shoot them and haven't had the chance to. It's crazy living in a town in Texas that only has one firing range, and it's expensive as hell. So I'm trying to figure out what options I may have. Either way, it's great to have these two firearms, and I'm pretty pumped about them. Sorry for the novel post, but I as you can tell I'm kind of excited, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both good guns. I love my SR9c and my dad loves his Thunder 380. Two good buys. Now go shoot em'!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Heck, you should be itching all over...I've been shooting for almost 40 years, and I still itch all over when I buy a new piece for my collection. I don't have a Bersa 380, but I've heard a lot of good reports on the forums about them. I have a Sig P230 in .380 that I frequently carry and I like shooting that cartridge as it's easy and controllable. I have several Ruger handguns, both revolver and auto. They have never done me wrong. I think you made 2 good choices there. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
SR9 is a good choice, congratulations.
Don't know enough about the Bersa to form an opinion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats on your purchase...Greetings and Welcome from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, "The Tar Heel State."

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to world of gun ownership. It can get pretty addictive so watch out! Looks like you're off to a great start. Enjoy your new pistols and be safe.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Congradulations on your purchase...and welcome to RF.net!

I've owned a few Bersa Thunder .380's over the years...and my favorite one was the all nickel one I bought when I was living in Indy! Sadly, I traded it...for a PPK/S...and didn't like the Walther as much. It was a great shooter and accurate!

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
I just got a Bersa Thunder for my wife and a work buddy has one for his carry piece.We took it to the range and not a single hiccup.The work buddy has not had a problem either...

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Handgun

Welcome to the exciting world of handguns. And congrats on your first purchases. I received my first handgun 45 years ago as a X-mas gift from my dad; A Colt Frontier Scout .22 LR SA.

And welcome to this great forum from North Dakota, where we're preparing for summer:D

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina

I have a SR9c love it, you are going to enjoy shooting it. I have a PPK on my short list of guns to buy. Saving up they are pricey. But I have read good things about the Bersa enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well I finally purchased my very first handgun (two at the same time)
Why only get one gun when you can get two? :)
I don't have much shooting experience (none at all with handguns), but when I was about 13 I went duck hunting a few times with a 20 gauge shotgun. That's about the last time I fired a gun (I'm 27 now) and I'm eager to finally get into something I've had a lot of interest in for a while.
That's pretty much my story, although It's been a longer period in between gun experience for me.

so this is what I ended up getting ... Ruger SR9C, and a Bersa Thunder 380 ... Why this combination? Hell if I know.
Hell if we care, as long as you got something! :)

I did look into the LC9 and the LCP .. The LCP was just too small for me, and I didn't like all the negative reviews on the LC9. Since I was already getting the SR9C as my 9mm, I figured I'd go with the Bersa for me 380.
Just got an LCP. Ditto on the LC9. I'm not liking the reviews on that one nor the quality I saw first hand.

What sucks now is I'm itching to shoot them and haven't had the chance to. It's crazy living in a town in Texas that only has one firing range, and it's expensive as hell. So I'm trying to figure out what options I may have. Either way, it's great to have these two firearms, and I'm pretty pumped about them. Sorry for the novel post, but I as you can tell I'm kind of excited, lol.
You live in the biggest, and one of the most gun friendly states in the union. I'm sure you can hook up with someone in your area that has or knows of an outdoor range somewhere.

Good luck with your purchases!

·
Banned
619 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texan! You made a good decision on both pistols. I don't own either but I like what I've heard about the SR9c. The Bersa has had a good rep for a long time and they're priced right to boot. I don't shoot .380 but wouldn't hesitate to get the Bersa if I did. ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't have a SR9c but I have a Bersa Thunder 380 & like everyone says they're good haven't had any problems at all with mine.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
You can't ever go wrong with Ruger! I have had some bad luck with Bersa however. They had a run of guns in the mid 80's that would fire every round except the last round. Why? Don't have a clue. My fix to this was to not have my last round be my last round. I took out the metal follower and brazed on a half a round diameter round to the top of the follower. It didn't go all the way back so the slide stop would function, but the last real round had what it thought was another round underneath it to push it up far enough to chamber like the rest. I would imagine that today's production is a lot better than 27 years ago. Smithy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank all you guys so much! Y'all really have made me feel a lot confident than I already was with my choices ... I'm glad that I was able to find some good pistols to start off with, I didn't want to be amateur about it and pick out a crappy first gun lol. Looking forward to gaining more knowledge from all of the much more experienced shooters here.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Congrats on the new gun purchase. We've all had that new gun purchase itch to get out and shoot. As for where to go to shoot, I'd start with co-workers relatives and friends. I was surprised to know so many of my co-workers are firearm enthusiasts and seem to know all the great spots. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

Congrats on your first handgun, a Ruger SR9...oh, yeah the other one too...(just kidding :D )

This is a great place for sharin' ideas & information, learnin' new stuff and hangin' out with some very fine folks ;)

Good luck with your first guns and happy shootin'

Glad you could join us, ENJOY!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts