Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have lots of property here with plenty of deer. I've never hunted before, but plan to fill up the freezer. I have a Mossberg 500, GP100, and a couple plinkers. I plan on using the Mossberg. Any advise for a first time hunter? I'm a very accurate shooter. Thanks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
just practice, patience, safety,and good knowledge of the hunting laws.

Make some area friends and get some advice, see if they will let you tag along on one of their hunts for the experiences ranging from location to field dressing game.

Mossberg 500 is a good shotgun. Special slug barrels available if you want them or just use a smooth bore. Most mossbergs i've seen are drilled and tapped for optics so that option is available as well.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I use a Mossy 500 with 3 different barrels, I use to hunt with a 28" cylinder bore, but now I have a cantilevered 24" rifled bore with a scope that I use for deer hunting. I have had the Mossy for about 28 years. I have a small 18" barrel for home defense use. A very versatile shotty.

Deer hunting is my national pastime. Patience and just getting out there is what its about for me. Deputy's advice on finding some hunting partners is real valuable as there is a lot to be learned in the field. There is a saying that you'll never really know a person until you've hunted with them. For me I'd like to think this is true.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I can't add anything to those fine post just enjoy your self and be safe and please keep us posted on your hunts. I love to read a good hunting story.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Besides what has been said already. Spend as much time in the woods as you can. Don't get frustrated, it takes time to learn the deer travel patterns in your area. Do a lot of walking around looking for trails, rubs, scrapes, crossings and any other signs. When you pick out a good place to set up give it some time, just because you Hunt a spot a couple of times and don't see anything doesn't mean it's not a good spot, travel patterns can be a little erratic depending on weather, moon and a thousand other variables.

I hunted one of my favorite stand a couple of weeks ago for four straight days and only saw three little does and a four point. I hunted the same stand this weekend and saw 10 to 15 deer both mornings and both afternoons.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you get the chance to shoot one and put it down make sure it's DEAD before you go running in there to have your obligatory first deer photo op.We would hate to see you on one of those "When Animals Attack Humans" TV shows.Good luck,be careful.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good one, 3AE...I was taught to sit still after the shot for 20 mins. or so...often the deer, if it can't locate you and you don't go crashing after it, will simply lie down and bleed out...if you go after it, the deer can run so far you won't find it...or bury itself in a thicket...from fear response.....I can imagine it's hard to sit still!!! (Never shot one myself)...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not so sure how true that is for white tail deer although have always heard the same thing. They will run when shot. I have seen them run 100 -150 yards even when hit through both lungs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You nailed them both in your garage?!!! How lucky can a guy get? You don't even need a license when they're on your property. All kidding aside, congratulations singleaction!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Singleaction,
Nice rack on that one. How far or close were the shots you made?

Dale

1 - 14 of 14 Posts