Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here and just recently found this great site. I'm in the process of looking to buy my first handgun in the near future mostly due to what happened after Katrina in N.O. as well as the steady increase in crime in my area and need some advice ..

I have narrowed down the field to the P89, P90 or P345. I will mostly be using the gun for home protection, target shooting, and as a hurricane gun should things go bad for a while after a storm. At present I'm not overly concerned with CCW. I was leaning towards the P89 due to the lower recoil of the 9MM vs the .45as my wife will need to be able to shoot the gun as well. I know the .45 has more stopping power but I like the higher mag capacity on the 89. After handling all 3 I think I like the feel of full metal frame on the 90 & 89.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If you have never owned a handgun before, I would for sure go with the P89. Ideally, you should really start with a .22 pistol, but if that is out of the question, then a 9mm would be easier to learn to shoot well than a .45. I own both a P89 and P90 and they are great guns. You wont go wrong with either.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Before you decide shoot both the 9mm and .45. They have a different type of recoil. The 9mm has more of a jar or snap, and the .45 more of a push. I first got a 9mm for my wife and after she shot my .45 she said it had less felt recoil and she could shoot it best. Try both before deciding.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
KP97's advice is good. Different people perceive recoil differently. Any of those 3 guns would be good choices...you might even want to look at the P95.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'd get by a range and borrow or rent and go for a test drive so to speak if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I have checked around and in addition to the fact that there aren't many ranges in my area none seem to rent Rugers. I have handled all 3 guns again and I'm leaning more towards the 90 or 89 I just like the heft of the all metal gun.

This isn't an either or situation as just like my rifles and fishing tackle I'm sure I won't stop at just one in the collection.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mrsnook

This isn't an either or situation as just like my rifles and fishing tackle I'm sure I won't stop at just one in the collection.
Now you're talkin!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the 89. Especially if they pass a new ban in 08 I won't be able to get one w/ 15 rd mags anymore and since the 90 only has a 8 rd mag I doubt they will ban those any time soon.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
KP90DC..with .45 there's not much need for a hi-cap mag...and they won't get scarce if they re-ban them...I had 2 P97s which are some lighter than the P90-a small niece shot a clipfull and shamed the big old strong men...she loved it....45 pushes and my then 12-year-old did well with it and enjoyed it...the KP90DC is some heavier and recoil even less...the .45 round is superior to most 9mm in stopping power and the ammo for practice is at Wallyworld for less than 10 a box of 50-you deserve the best...if I was limited to one handgun that would be it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard that there an attempt to bring back the Clinton Era AWB but they've evidently add a quite a few more guns to it including the Mini's .

I will admit I have not read it but several people I know said it's scary.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

Now you're talkin!
No Doubt![^]

·
Registered
302 Posts
The P89 is just as reliable with the Mec-Gar mags and they fit. I had some problems with the Mec-Gar locking in. Those are resolved. Ruger 10 rounders is what I purchase from now on out though.

on the lighter side. I am a decent shot I only need two.

tk

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts

Be very careful! There is a very contagious disease (Rugeritis) going around and this is one of the symptoms. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that in the near future I'll have a P90, P89, P944 & P345 and thats just the autos for a start. I haven't started on the wheel guns yet.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Yea I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that in the near future I'll have a P90, P89, P944 & P345 and thats just the autos for a start. I haven't started on the wheel guns yet.
You might want to check your temperature and pay the doc a visit at your earliest convenience. It does indeed sound like Rugeritis is setting in there at your house. :D

Amistad
'ya gotta love these guns!'

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rugeritis can't be cured. It lessens the pain if you continue to repeat the act that caused you to contract this dread disease..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts