Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area in the People's Demokratic Republik of Kalifornia!

I literally just found this forum after buying my first Ruger and first 10/22 today! It's an 1103 with a birch wood stock and blued steel. Since I'm in Kalifornia, I have to wait 10 days before I can pick it up (unless they ban 10/22s in the interim, LOL).

This is my first .22LR, but not my first gun. I got the gun because of its reputation, 57 year history (I was born the year this rifle came out), the near retro look of the 1103 (synthetic turns me off), sale price $310, the Big 5 store being a short drive (vs 1 hour to BassPro in San Jose for $280), 10 round mags for mag swaps, training for long-gun use, and economical ammo for range time. That said, I'm a bit overwhelmed and am trying to figure out what to learn, maintenance, and upgrades. Is there a sticky and/or FAQs, especially for beginner's here?

Here's my situation, so you can help me with ideas. I own guns for home defense and SHTF (there is a difference?). Home defense would be anywhere from point blank to about 7 yards, kitchen to living room and bedroom hallway comprising 7 yards.

Ammo is crazy expensive and in short supply, especially for my 9mm Glock and soon-to-be-bought- Ruger Mini-14. The manual of arms for the 10/22 and Mini-14 are somewhat similar (if nothing else, the stocks are almost the same, taking the same aftermarket recoil pads) Plus, the few ranges that I could find here in the San Francisco Bay Area are fussy about rifle rounds, steel cases, and FMJs (finding ranges is one question I have). The .22LR would solve the range's ammo issues, but not really the ammo shortage (Big 5, where I bought the 10/22 today, is STILL out of .22LR; they told me to come early this Friday because there will be a big line on shipment day).

I saw a YouTube video and think I can do the bolt release modification to hold open the bolt after the last round is fired.

I'm familiar with the MagPul MAG1 Quick Adjust sling; I like the idea of tightening up the sling for administrative uses. However, I just found out that the M1 Garand-style sling is popular among 10/22 users, especially for the Shooter's Aid option. That and the retro look would be nice.

And I want only iron sights on the 10/22 as training in case my LED light/laser fails, so I'm not interested in optics.

Is there any .22LR ammo that won't work in the 10/22?

Where can I find .22LR ammo? I have to have on-line orders shipped to an FFL, which will cost at least $25 as the transfer fee

What other upgrades/mods should I do?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 10/22 is a great rifle. I’ve found it to run quite well on Federal bulk ammo; I usually get the Champion HV 36gr plated HPs. The stock rifle is quite good, so I would shoot that for a while before diving into upgrades. All I’ve done to mine is add sling studs, a $15 bipod, and a $40 scope. Sorry about your ammo predicament, wish I had a suggestion for an ammo source.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area in the People's Demokratic Republik of Kalifornia!

I literally just found this forum after buying my first Ruger and first 10/22 today! It's an 1103 with a birch wood stock and blued steel. Since I'm in Kalifornia, I have to wait 10 days before I can pick it up (unless they ban 10/22s in the interim, LOL).

This is my first .22LR, but not my first gun. I got the gun because of its reputation, 57 year history (I was born the year this rifle came out), the near retro look of the 1103 (synthetic turns me off), sale price $310, the Big 5 store being a short drive (vs 1 hour to BassPro in San Jose for $280), 10 round mags for mag swaps, training for long-gun use, and economical ammo for range time. That said, I'm a bit overwhelmed and am trying to figure out what to learn, maintenance, and upgrades. Is there a sticky and/or FAQs, especially for beginner's here?

Here's my situation, so you can help me with ideas. I own guns for home defense and SHTF (there is a difference?). Home defense would be anywhere from point blank to about 7 yards, kitchen to living room and bedroom hallway comprising 7 yards.

Ammo is crazy expensive and in short supply, esp for my 9mm Glock and soon-to-be-picked-up S&W AR-15. Plus, the few ranges that I could find here in the San Francisco Bay Area are fussy about rifle rounds, steel cases, and FMJs (finding ranges is one question I have). The .22LR would solve the range's ammo issues, but not really the ammo shortage (Big 5, where I bought the 10/22 today, is STILL out of .22LR; they told me to come early this Friday because there will be a big line on shipment day).

I saw a YouTube video and think I can do the bolt release modification to hold open the bolt after the last round is fired.

I'm familiar with the MagPul MAG1 Quick Adjust sling; I like the idea of tightening up the sling for administrative uses. However, I just found out that the M1 Garand-style sling is popular among 10/22 users, especially for the Shooter's Aid option. That and the retro look would be nice.

And I want only iron sights on the 10/22 as training in case my LED light/laser fails, so I'm not interested in optics.

Is there any .22LR ammo that won't work in the 10/22?

Where can I find .22LR ammo? I have to have on-line orders shipped to an FFL, which will cost at least $25 as the transfer fee

What other upgrades/mods should I do?
You have opened Pandora's box now!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, BoBo522. Which brand/model of sling studs did you install? And what sling are you using?
Uncle Mike sling studs ($7), and Magpul RLS sling ($20).

You're very welcome. There is literally a galaxy of options to choose from when it comes to the 10/22, and I constantly have to rein myself in from spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on it when there are quite inexpensive options that work for almost every situation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome.

The 10/22 is insanely dependable and will run almost any ammo.

I recommend these sights as a big improvement over the stock Ruger sights:

If you want a longer sight radius these are also very good:

Those are inexpensive options that work well.

The bolt hold open mod is easy to do.

Have fun with the 10/22 and good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BoBo522 wrote:

ncle Mike sling studs ($7), and Magpul RLS sling ($20).

You're very welcome. There is literally a galaxy of options to choose from when it comes to the 10/22, and I constantly have to rein myself in from spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on it when there are quite inexpensive options that work for almost every situation.

Thanks again! Can you give me some more inexpensive options that would help me out?

Nine days and counting until pick up!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
marvin02, thanks

I'll look for more videos on that bolt hold open mod, which didn't show the other pin to remove. If you or anyone else knows a website or YouTube video that shows that portion better, please advise. Also, I'm not set up with Dremel and am trying to minimize my tool set, but have flat files. With some patience, is filing down that pointed portion doable?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Congrats on the new 1022. I too would recommend shooting it for a while and getting familiar with before doing any modifications. You'll be in a better position to decide what you'd like to change rather than what everybody else is changing. You might find that you like it just as it is. Changing one thing at a time is advised to isolate any issues with aftermarket add ons. Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
congrats and welcome to the forum from the Buckeye State ...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Congrats on your new 10/22! It was my very 1st Ruger, given to me by my Dad when I was young. It was not the last Ruger I'd own, in fact I keep buying them despite firm resolutions to not buy unless I sell or trade another.

You chose well on the 10/22. It will last a lifetime & then some. I must admit, it would drive me nuts to wait 10 days. We have no wait in OH, but I ordered a stainless 10/22 once & the wait seemed like an eternity. Since your birth year was the same as the 10/22's, you may be interested in the anniversary editions. There was a 40th & all 2014 models were 50th engraved bolt + stamped on the receiver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
marvin02, thanks

I'll look for more videos on that bolt hold open mod, which didn't show the other pin to remove. If you or anyone else knows a website or YouTube video that shows that portion better, please advise. Also, I'm not set up with Dremel and am trying to minimize my tool set, but have flat files. With some patience, is filing down that pointed portion doable?
Here's a good video:

Yes you can do this with just a file.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Greetings from Ohio and welcome to forum.
Glad you found the forum and congratulations on the 10/22. Shoot it for a while and get familiar with it before doing any modifications. It is your show so do what you like. Most important is to be safe and enjoy your new Ruger.
"LONG LIVE BILL RUGER!"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, everyone! As to an anniversary edition, I'm going to save up for the 100th Anniversary Edition. You have no question that the 10/22 will be made through 2064, but you may wonder whether I will live that long. Suffice it to say that only the good die young :)

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,490 Posts
Another vote for shooting the rifle as is! Clean it well and shoot it. I have had 10/22's of various configurations since the 1980s. I have never done a bolt hold open mod, added a buffer, or changed an extractor. My rifles have worked fine as is. I have upgraded stocks and barrels, tuned and replaced triggers, and mounted several scopes. Shoot it and see what you really need for your uses. The advice to change one part at a time should be listened to. When you modify multiple things and the rifle doesn't work it can be a trouble-shooting nightmare.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I"m going to try out a military surplus M1 Garand sling on my 10/22. Is there a way to secure the sling to the rifle when I want to store it? Ditto with a Magpul Quick Release Sling, MS1, MAG513?

I can't recall the source, but someone suggested using part of an old bicycle inner tube to wrap the excess sling around the buttstock. I tried that, but the inner tube would not stretch far enough and I don't want to take apart the buffer tube.

Attachments

·
Exchequer
5,057 Posts
OP, welcome to the forum.

As others here have said, it might be good to shoot the stock 10/22 to see how it fits your needs and wants before doing a bunch of modifications.

My 50th-anniversary model (2014) is a tack driver and will eat just about any ammo I feed it. Though I'm partial to CCI Mini Mags because they seem to be of better quality.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts