Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I have a 22/45 mk3 target model. I have fired about 4000 rounds in her. I have never had any ftf or fte at all except for 2 split cases with thunderbolts until I quit using them. Yesterday, using winchester automatch, I had 3 stovepipes with corresponding ftf issues. Advice please. Should I be looking at a new extractor or is it probably just a batch of wonky ammo?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Change ammo and see if the problem persists.
thanks, my initial thoughts but usually automatch is such a good ammo, I wondered if after 4000 rounds that the extractor might be getting tired.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had problems with running automatch in my Mark III 22/45. It won't cycle the gun properly, seems underpowered. Check the extractor for wear. Replacing it is cheap and easy if you see any damage. I agree with everyone here, it's probably an ammo problem. Good luck and safe shooting.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
If you haven't already, check the extractor for damage and make sure it pivots easily and that the spring has enough power to return it to its resting position. Also check the ejector, since a chip that shortens the ejector can also cause stove-piping.

It's always possible that you got a "bad batch" of ammunition, but I wouldn't use that as a first assumption.

Jim

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Should I be looking at a new extractor or is it probably just a batch of wonky ammo?
A lot of the "Match" ammunition is mild, and not all auto .22's will function reliably when fed same. Although 4000 rounds is hardly a stretch for that design, it may be getting a buildup of crud, (which hardly rare with Thunderbolt, and similar bulk ammo).

The long version of "clean it". ;)

I seriously doubt the extractor is the problem.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you. I am a chronic cleaner, so i doubt that is the issue. I will quit using it in this pistol and use it in one of my rifles. I will look at the extractor and ejector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts