Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forums here. I just purchased a new SR9 right before Christmas and have had a problem with the slide not returning to battery after firing. Just was curious if anyone else has had this happen. I love the pistol. It feels like a natural appendage to me. I am confident the techs at Ruger will take care of it, so no biggie, but just anxious to get it whipped into shape and dependable for carry.

If anyone has advise or similar experiences, please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I have been following the SR9 as I'm looking to buy one this spring and this is the first one I've heard with issues. I know thats no consolation too you but it makes me wonder if it's dirty or something simple like that. I presume you aren't limp wristing or using handloads that haven't been full length resized. If no then I'm guessing it's a spring issue.

·
Registered
401 Posts
First I've heard...

of problems w/ the SR9, nothing but good reviews.

What ammo are you using? Have you tried another brand? Rugers seem to eat anything you feed them but you never know.

my WAG

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does it do this all the time or just some of the time? And then answers to the questions above might generate some ideas as well....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been following the SR9 as I'm looking to buy one this spring and this is the first one I've heard with issues. I know thats no consolation too you but it makes me wonder if it's dirty or something simple like that. I presume you aren't limp wristing or using handloads that haven't been full length resized. If no then I'm guessing it's a spring issue.
I cleaned the snot out of it before ever taking it to the range the first time. You know, kind of getting to know it. I didn't notice much in the way of filings or metal flakes or anything like that even when it was brand new. I have cleaned it every time after shooting it since then and it has never made it through one magazine without failing to return to battery at least twice.

I had other persons shoot it to be certain I was not limp wristing or something like that. It did it to them also. I was using Remington 9mm x 19 115gr FMJ ammunition. I also tried Federal and Wolf. I am really hoping it will fire whatever I feed it. I expect it to.

I have over 600 rounds through it now and just got it back from AZ after 400 rounds. The corrective action that was included in my repair order stated as follows;
Replaced Ejector
Replaced Trigger Bar Reset
Replaced Striker

I have been asked to return it to AZ once again. This time I am confident they will get to the root of my woes.

I have not tried +P in it. I guess I could if I have time before it ships.

Thanks All!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received the shipping label today from Ruger AZ.
Off she goes... I'm gonna miss her while she's gone.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I am by no means an expert, so please bear with me: I assume that when you clean it, you are using a good lube on the slide rails...the reason I mentioned +P is from reloading 9mm for IPSC back in the 90's. It took a little to find the sweet recipe that would shoot fast and accurately, and allow the slide to function properly. Some guns just take more bang for a while...then they get settled in.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Wizard for your considerations. I didn't ship her yet. I am making one more trip to the range first just to be certain it is a Ruger issue and not a Muttley issue.
I clean it and lube it with Hoppes #9 I have been both generous and sparing with the lube. I can see where there are friction marks and have been lubing those without fail. Also the slide rails always get a good lube as does the exterior of the barrel.
I hate to think it needs more breaking in than 600 rounds, but I don't know, so it's off to the range I go. I can shoot for $4.00 a day outdoors, so no biggie.

·
Registered
39 Posts
have had a problem with the slide not returning to battery after firing.
I had the same problem after cleaning it for the first time. In my situation, I did not fully seat the slide spring back into position. This seems to allow the spring to rub against the inside of the slide.

You can quickly double check as your slide spring should be parrallel with the barrel. I pulled the spring back and pushed down a little harder and found that the spring is intended to sit deeper against the barrel. The difference in the two spring positions is probably around 1/8 inch, so its easy to miss.

I hope this helps your situation.

Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jumpin4,
I had always set the spring firmly into the notch which is flattened perpendicular to the barrel.
The spring rides parrallel when it is seated there.
Picture attached although it doesn't show the spring actually seated.
I sent the SR9 back, so we'll see how it comes back. I am presuming they will seat it correctly at the factory.
Thanks again and I'll be sure to let you guys know how she shoots as soon as I get her back.
Mutt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine will be back tomorrow. Spoke with the tech yesterday and he told me he duplicated my problem and changed out a couple components. He fired 120 rounds through it and said no failures. I won't likely be near a range until Saturday. Can't wait to see how she runs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pops, I might like to have one of those P345's too. Seems like a mighty nice Pistol. A little more bang for the buck, pardon the pun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got her back today. Will go to range tomorrow or Saturday. She feels real solid now. Trigger, and return to battery after racking the slide are both very tight in both sound and feel. Much more umph on the action than before. I know it feels different, now let's see if it's right. I want to carry this pistol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh Yeah..... now I am really in love. I got to the range tonight. New barrel and striker cover repaired is what the ticket said. I am telling you, the people at Ruger AZ did right by me. I only had a bit of time on the range but fired four magazines worth (Not one failure in 68 rounds) and oh what a joy. This is what I thought it would be like when I studied up and decided on the SR9 in the beginning. I bring it up from ready and I swear the front sight just locks on target automatically. Here is my target from tonight. 68 rounds at 15 yards. Half of that trying to learn the trigger reset and trying to fire as fast as I could draw a bead on target. The first half I was still waiting for her to fail, which never happened.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts