Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, first post to go along with my first Revolver. Its a Security Six, and it has some rust on the chamber side of the barrel. Does't look like much but I don't know if its a serious issue or not.

Can somebody give me a recommendation on what to do about it , if anything?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Put some .38's through it and blow it out, clean with Eezox..........and hope there's no serious pitting.

Even if there is, it likely won't affect anything. I once had a Service Six I got for $200, someone had left it in a damp basement and the whole thing was rusted, the bore looked like an old East Bloc military rifle........it still held good groups.

·
Administrator
22,177 Posts
I'd use some JB Bore paste and give it a good scrubbing. Clean it out and finish with a light coat of oil. Hopefully it will be clean.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Welcome to the forum, big. Shoot it and clean it and oil it. Let it sit a few days then shoot it and clean it and oil it. If it is gonna sit for a long time, oil it a lot.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't know how much room U have between the forcing cone/barrel and the frame. measure that and see if you can find a brush short enough to fit. If so, buy it. start a section of your cleaning rods from the muzzle and attach the brush and pull it back and forth. If it was mine I would chuck the rod in my variable speed drill and have at it. OR use a tight bore mop with one of the paste abrasives mentioned above. You should have check all that BEFORE U bought the gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, already detail stripped and cleaned it. I ran a boresnake through it a few times but the rust is still there. I don't think its pitted, just some surface rust. I'm about to go at it with a nylon brush and some CLP. I don't have any abrasive stuff. I will go about getting some if it doesn't go away after this cleaning and shooting it next week. I am just concerned about the abrasive damaging the barrel.

I don't know how much room U have between the forcing cone/barrel and the frame. measure that and see if you can find a brush short enough to fit. If so, buy it. start a section of your cleaning rods from the muzzle and attach the brush and pull it back and forth. If it was mine I would chuck the rod in my variable speed drill and have at it. OR use a tight bore mop with one of the paste abrasives mentioned above. You should have check all that BEFORE U bought the gun.
I bought it online. The pictures did not show the angle I took a picture of. Thanks for the help. Ill try the rod/drill combo.

·
Administrator
22,177 Posts
JB's is a mild abrasive but I can't see it damaging a SS BBL unless you use it with an air wrench or steel bore brush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nylon brush with clp didnt work..

i can get Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover locally..

should i go out and get it, or should i go and buy it or just shoot some .38 out of it then see what remains??

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
nylon brush with clp didnt work..

i can get Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover locally..

should i go out and get it, or should i go and buy it or just shoot some .38 out of it then see what remains??
Hmmm. If CLP didn't at least make it look less orange, it might be copper. This is especially true if a nylon brush and CLP made it look brighter.

In either case, a good cleaning with JB's bore paste (as suggested above) should help. If it is copper fouling, there are special cleaners for that.

The rust and blue remover is just phosphoric acid; it will chemically remove rust (gun blue is just a fancy rust) and would be useful if the bore paste doesn't get rid of the rust.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts