Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my VERY FIRST rifle, a Ruger American Rifle in .243. Totally new territory for me in the firearm area. I ordered it yesterday and it already shipped today from grabagun. Its a Christmas present so I will have to wait til then to get it. Hopefully going through it between Christmas and New Years when we plan to travel to WI for a gun day. I have a friend who is a gun nut and he offered to help me break the rifle in.

Currently shopping for a scope and he recommended a Leupold of some sort. Said its worth the dollar in every way. I do have the Ultimate Slam 3-9x40 in mind so far. Other ideas/recommendations?

Still have to decide on a brand of round since I will not be hand loading my own. He did tell me to save my brass and he would reload it for me. But only shoot it in my gun. Not sure what to even start with in this area.

Case is in my cart to be ordered but I plan to check local first.

I would like to put a bipod on it for sure for stability while at the range or any other time. Hopefully planning to get the free cheek pad as well.

Do many of you run a sling on your rifle?

Main reason I chose this rifle was the reviews, followed by the 100% AMERICAN MADE. < that to me speaks volumes. A man/woman in the USA made this rifle with quality materials.

Any special terms I need to know or get familiar with? don't worry, you dont have to tell me its a magazine and not a clip :) I fixed that early before I got my pistol. Which is a Springfield Armory, XDM 9mm 4.5". LOVE THAT PISTOL!

Feel free to share anything with me that you think a new rifle owner needs to know and i will do my best to soak it in.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to forum - from "The Mountain State"

For specific questions related to your new rifle, you might want to post on in the Ruger rifle category.
Now the wait begins!!

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
welcome from mid-coast Maine.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...You may find some answers in the other forums here...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leupold rifleman 3-9x40 is a great scope for about 200$ check midwayusa.com
I did take a peek at the rifleman. Just need to make a decision. I do think that I want a reticle that shows the ranges in the scope itself rather than a simple cross hair.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys/girls. Hope to get this things squared away.

Hope he has time between family, christmas, as well as new years to help me out. Im excited.

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
Welcome to RF from Pa. Congrats on the Ruger American. My son in-law bought one last week in the same caliber and it's a great shooting rifle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcomefrom Nj where the government hates your guns.

Ummmm im in Hellinois... where we are lucky to get pea shooters and rubber bands! Everyone hates our guns except those who legally obtain them, those who respect them, and all the gangs and bad people that carry them that shouldnt...

Love how many states have conceal and carry, as well as the ability to supress their weapons.

Nazi Chicago won't let us do anything.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.