Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I purchased my Ruger American Pistol this past Friday and got a chance for a quick range session on Sunday. The following are my thoughts on this handgun. and I hope to get some feedback from you guys as well!

First Impressions-I am very pleased with how well built this pistol is. At first, I didn't think I cared for the looks, but they have grown on me. I will also say that it looks much better in person compared to the interwebs.

-With the medium backstrap, it actually fits my medium-small hands rather well. Much narrower and more comfortable grip compared to a Glock 21(for comparison purposes).

-The black nitrided stainless slide looks good and is finished well. The sights are nicely centered, and overall, this pistol is just put together well.

-There is very minimal play when rocking the slide side to side, and the frame rails that the slide rides on are of substantial size.

To say I was looking forward to getting it to the range for some shooting was an understatement. Some information regarding the range trip; The wind was howling and the snow was blowing sideways, I only shot it at 10 and 15 yards offhand. The snow was too deep to recover any brass, So the ammunition used was CCI Blazer Aluminum 230 gr.

-The first mag through my RAP went great. I inserted the loaded mag into the gun with the slide locked back. I had no trouble releasing the slide on a full magazine.

-The trigger is very good. The take up is extremely smooth with a crisp break. The reset is a little longer than I am used to. But I will adjust to this particular trigger as I get more ammo down range.

-The 3-dot sights offered a very adequate sight picture on target.

-The recoil impulse wasn't bad at all. Definitely Controllable.

-Everything worked, just like it is supposed to. I only fired 100 rounds, but I did not have one FTF, FTE, or any other malfunction to speak of.

-Accuracy was more than adequate, it grouped tightly all day. I will have to drift the rear sight just a touch. As you can see in the pictures, it prints left of point of aim. Elevation was spot on. Not a big deal. I'll wait for better weather and when I can sit down on a bench and shoot off a rest before I actually move the sight.

**I saved this for last. Unfortunately, I did have an issue with the frame banging up the rearmost knuckle on the thumb of my shooting hand. I won't describe it as painful to the point of not wanting to shoot, But after 100 rounds through the gun, that portion of my thumb was red, and it actually broke the skin to the point of drawing blood. Again, I had no trouble shooting it, but I could feel the discomfort in the described area the entire time.**

I honestly don't understand how the frame does this. There aren't any sharp edges, I suppose that it is just the way the pistol moves in recoil. I tried multiple grips, and thumb orientation, but could not get it to go away. I have not given up on this pistol. I like everything about it, and very glad to add it to the stable. I am just not sure if I should I should try and reshape the frame at the trouble area, or perhaps contact Ruger to see what they have to say about it?

Excluding the one issue described above, I think Ruger came out with a winner here. I am pleased with the purchase and look forward to getting some more range time with it.

--A note on the photo. The top group in the "head" area of the target was shot at 10 yards. And the bottom group in the "torso" portion of the target was at 15 yards.

-DesertRat

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Nice report. I am mildly interested in picking up RAP in 45. I wish it held a few more rounds.

I would use a bicycle glove when shooting your pistol at the range. If you would need to use the pistol for defense, the pain to your knuckle wont matter, but several hundred rounds in a range session becomes painful. The same thing happens to me when shooting my LC9s Pro, and Kahr CM45. Now I simply use a bicycle glove at the range. The glove I use is leather, has a padded palm, and open fingertips. They are around $20 at bicycle shops.

You also could shape the frame in the area where it contacts your knuckle. The frame in that spot looks pretty abrupt. A file, and then some sandpaper will remove what you need, just be careful, and I would investigate how thick the poly is in that area, so you don't go through.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't suppose you could provide a photo showing you gripping the pistol? I'm still having a hard time seeing how this issue can be affecting some people. When I grip a gun that knuckle is in no location where it could be hit or even bruised. I haven't fired a RAP but did handle one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weblance, thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned it in my first post, I did throw on a cheap pair of gloves for two magazines worth of shooting. They helped 100 %. Also, with the weather being as cold as it was, it is possible that this issue won't be as bothersome once it warms up. I suppose I am being stubborn slightly with even mentioning this issue. I just thought it was worth noting my experience.

I don't suppose you could provide a photo showing you gripping the pistol? I'm still having a hard time seeing how this issue can be affecting some people.
I will have to try and take a photo of my grip after work. Honestly, I don't understand how it is happening either. While gripping the pistol, there is zero discomfort to me. It is simply under recoil when the frame bangs my thumb. I wish I had a more concrete reason as to why this is happening. And again, I'm not trying to complain here. I love my new pistol. It just happens to imprint my thumb knuckle during recoil.

I will start getting in the habit of wearing some gloves when I shoot. It is probably a good idea to do so anyways. This issue certainly isn't going to deter me from shooting my RAP. I like it too much!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
When you fire a handgun, the muzzle obviously rises and the frame contacts you knuckle, but I don't think that's where you get the "bite". The pistol also moves straight back under recoil, and the constant front-to-back friction on your skin, rubs it away. That's what happens with my LC9s Pro.

This was 360 rounds from my LC9s Pro. I gave up at that point, but wanted to keep shooting because the pistol shoots so well... Gloves from now on...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That is the exact same area that got dinged while I was shooting my 45! Although, the damage to my thumb wasn't that significant. However, I only fired 100 rounds as opposed to your 360. Still though, your photo is a great example of the problem location.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Excellent report. Band-aids are cheap....LOL!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your kind words! I agree, I would much rather add a box of band-aids to my range bag as opposed to not shooting this pistol :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Your hold is suspect especially since you indicated you are using the medium grip and have medium to small hands. Is it possible you are reaching around to pull the trigger such that your thumb is behind the slide? When holding the pistol there should be a straight line down the barrel and up your arm. If you are reaching around the pistol there will be a kink in this line at your wrist. This kink, if it exists, may also explain why the pistol is shooting left. i.e. if your stretching to reach the trigger you may be pushing the gun to the left on every shot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your hold is suspect especially since you indicated you are using the medium grip and have medium to small hands
This is possible. With the weather doing what it was when I was shooting, I could have definitely been compromising good form. It was nasty, and I wasn't taking a long time running this over in my brain. If this ends up being the case, I doubt it will take more than some slight changes to grip/trigger reach to get squared away. Especially when the grip fits my hand so well. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
This is possible. With the weather doing what it was when I was shooting, I could have definitely been compromising good form. It was nasty, and I wasn't taking a long time running this over in my brain.
I like to occasionally shoot in bad weather (rain, cold, heat/humidity) because that increases stress somewhat and exposes bad habits. Plus, if I ever need to actually use a firearm in self defense, there is no guarantee it will be 70 degrees and sunny!

I will be interested to hear how it goes next time for you. Especially once you get a chance to shoot in better weather.

Thanks for the report and good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wonder if smoothing the area of the frame that rubs on the thumb knuckle with some really fine grit sand paper might help out. I've found that there are different areas on all of my polymer pistols that rub the wrong way - particularly under the trigger guard where my middle finger rides. Smoothing things out with sand paper really helps.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Nice report & nice shooting. I wonder if Ruger could not see this coming, surely someone somewhere down the line of designing the pistol had to have had the same thumb problem when firing the pistol. Damn shame the way I see it but I plan to keep my SR45...something about the looks of the RAP just turns me off.

With that said it's still good to hear you can take it right out of the box & she goes bang every time you pull the trigger lol.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'll wait until I have a few more range sessions under my belt before I try and reshape the frame any. Just to make sure that it's not something I can alleviate by adjusting my grip.

Damn shame the way I see it but I plan to keep my SR45...something about the looks of the RAP just turns me off.
Nothing wrong with that!^^^ I was looking real hard at a SR45, but I liked the changes they had put into this model. I agree, the looks are a little odd, but I promise it'll grow on you! However, they certainly aren't for everyone.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I think I'll wait until I have a few more range sessions under my belt before I try and reshape the frame any. Just to make sure that it's not something I can alleviate by adjusting my grip.

Nothing wrong with that!^^^ I was looking real hard at a SR45, but I liked the changes they had put into this model. I agree, the looks are a little odd, but I promise it'll grow on you! However, they certainly aren't for everyone.
I hear you about the looks...I've grown fond of my P95 lol & that joker is surely lacking on the looks dept but dependability can have a way of adjusting "looks".

I sure hope you do alleviate whatever & enjoy your pistol.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Took mine to the range again today. This time using Federal Aluminum cased. Accurate and reliable. Lovin' it! Keep the thumbs down and ZERO problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm loving mine (9mm), between 400 to 500 rounds now and I have yet to experience any thumb or knuckle issues, I run the small grip and that RAP slips into my hands like she was made for them. back out the range this weekend too.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I'm loving mine (9mm), between 400 to 500 rounds now and I have yet to experience any thumb or knuckle issues, I run the small grip and that RAP slips into my hands like she was made for them. back out the range this weekend too.
Then you must not be an "operator."

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Took mine to the range again today. This time using Federal Aluminum cased. Accurate and reliable. Lovin' it! Keep the thumbs down and ZERO problems.
But when you put your thumbs up, you can get better shots cuz the thumbs are helping you determine and correct for wind direction and speed.... :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts