Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10/22 that I got in a trade it has a 18.5 blue barrel. I got a takeoff barrel and sent it to a gunsmith to be threaded, I will have a few flashhiders to try but hopefully soon a suppressor I (if its still legal, tisk tisk.) Few questions,

• CCI quiet works or not?
  • CCI stinger how to tell if my chamber fits them.
  • How much difference do metal lips make, I mean my wifes lips are great but whats all the hype about steel lips.
  • Are Ruger mags better or just the same, any mags to stay away from?
  • Good scope for basic shooting, not match grade just for fun.

The threaded barrel will be first used to experiment with ammo, I will be using an attachment to measure the air pressure at the muzzle. Trying to show the relation between bullet weight and chamber pressure. I know that measuring the air pressure at the muzzle will not be the same pressure as in the chamber but I'm not trying to measure chamber pressure just show a relation. Any thoughts predictions or ideas. Before you say it, there are not and will never be any baffles or a cap that may trap sound. I have checked and the design is not considered a suppressor or any type of illegal modification.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
-Never used CCI quiet so cant give you an answer there.

-As long as you dont have a target model/bull barrel your fine.

-Steel lips dont wear out like the plastic ones. Ive also heard of rapid fire possibly melting/warping plastic lips.

-Stick with the ruger mags OR if you can afford them the ti25's are pretty nice as well.

-Dont know enough about optics to give an opinion here. Im personally going save up for a nikon prostaff for my next build. Seems like a decent middle of the road option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dsteele, thanks for the reply. I like the prostaffs but im not looking to spend more than I did on the rifle. I'm thinking of the cabelas caliber spec ones, or even an academy cheapie. good to know about the mags.

·
Registered
263 Posts
CCIs work great. Avoid plastic lips. use Ruger mags (midwayusa has great price). I like my BSA sweet 22. (check Amazon, about $40).

Good Luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quiet .22 works great. However, remember that with a 10/22 the chamber is exposed when the bolt slides back. It is significantly quieter when used in a bolt action. When using a silencer, some people use an adapter to hold the bolt closed.

CCI Stingers work fine in a 10/22.
Ruger mags are very well engineered. I have one mag that worked continuously without cleaning for 28 years. The only reason that I took it apart and cleaned it was that I was curious to see what it looked like.

I'm not questioning your desire to experiment, just curious why, if you're trying to show a relationship between bullet weight and chamber pressure:

1. Why would you measure at the muzzle?
2. Till you know how much powder and what type of powder is in each batch of cartridge, how can you come up with any meaningful results?
3. What will knowing the measured pressure at the muzzle tell you?
4. Wouldn't a chronograph be a better indicator of cartridge performance in a particular gun?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I have a 10/22 that I got in a trade it has a 18.5 blue barrel. I got a takeoff barrel and sent it to a gunsmith to be threaded, I will have a few flashhiders to try but hopefully soon a suppressor I (if its still legal, tisk tisk.) Few questions,

• CCI quiet works or not?
  • CCI stinger how to tell if my chamber fits them.
  • How much difference do metal lips make, I mean my wifes lips are great but whats all the hype about steel lips.
  • Are Ruger mags better or just the same, any mags to stay away from?
  • Good scope for basic shooting, not match grade just for fun.

The threaded barrel will be first used to experiment with ammo, I will be using an attachment to measure the air pressure at the muzzle. Trying to show the relation between bullet weight and chamber pressure. I know that measuring the air pressure at the muzzle will not be the same pressure as in the chamber but I'm not trying to measure chamber pressure just show a relation. Any thoughts predictions or ideas. Before you say it, there are not and will never be any baffles or a cap that may trap sound. I have checked and the design is not considered a suppressor or any type of illegal modification.
  • CCI quiet works or not? Depends on what you mean by "works"...they fire...the trajectory is far lower than high velocity even at close range the difference is huge...in my gun...they will NOT cycle the action...essentially it becomes a "bolt action" rifle...IMO the cost is too high and so is the noise level compared to CCI Standard Velocity which will cycle the action every time...
  • CCI stinger how to tell if my chamber fits them. The factory barrel chambers them fine...a match chamber they might degrade the chamber some and will be prone to not extracting...don't be taken in by the velocity of stingers and super x 1600 (plus) fps...they achieve that mostly with lighter bullets than 1400 (plus) fps hyper velocity rounds like CCI velocitors, Remington Vipers, and Super-X hyper speed all have normal length cases with heavier bullets and more powder...they recoil harder...the Super-x 1600 has quiet ammo type recoil...the Vipers and Super-X cost half as much as the CCI hyper rounds...Velocitors are your best bet if for SD purposes as the reliability with CCI is highest...Vipers second...
  • How much difference do metal lips make, I mean my wifes lips are great but whats all the hype about steel lips. Use only factory rotatory 10 round mags they are only $12 at midway usa...for 25rd lots of people swear by the factory bx-25 but not me...I pay more the Tactical Inc plastic with steel lips...yes...only steel lips...plastic don't work so well...
  • Are Ruger mags better or just the same, any mags to stay away from? I had lots of problems with my bx-25...search them on this forum and also on youtube...the tactical inc has a no slop fit...it is a hassle to set up right and needs break in...the only quirk with it is chambering the first round...that is getting better with every use...I got so fed up with my bx-25 I shot it to pieces and getting a second TI-25...I would get another bx-25 if I needed something and couldn't get a TI...TI makes three...get the plastic one with steel lips...
  • Good scope for basic shooting, not match grade just for fun. You will get 10,000 answers on this one...I got the Leupold vx1 2-7x28mm and like it a ton for fun shooting...no regrets...there is lots of info on scopes in the optics section of this forum...

One thing I will note is that at first I was reluctant to spend the money for a lever mag release...after having gone thru a few thousand rounds with one I can tell you they are great...mine required some "fitting" to make it hug the trigger guard...I thing that is due to them being made to fit the new plastic trigger groups...mine is the older aluminum trigger group...

The 25 round mags are nice at times but the factory 10 rounders are so much easier and quicker to load and swap out (especially if you have lever release) it is harder worth the time and effort to load the 25 round banana...

I have three factory rotaries and use them way more than either of the 25s I have/had...

IMO...the extended mags are always in the way for everything...make shooting off hand more challenging...the gun is just SOOOOO much sweeter with nothing sticking down below the mag well and that includes the mag release...I actually prefer the old style (flush bottom) factory mag release to any of the extended ones the stick down in front of trigger guard...I wasted $15 on a aluminum one that could have gone towards the lever-style...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Dsteele, thanks for the reply. I like the prostaffs but im not looking to spend more than I did on the rifle. I'm thinking of the cabelas caliber spec ones, or even an academy cheapie. good to know about the mags.
I find them around here for right around $100. Half as much as a 10/22. I learned the hard way not to skimp on optics. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find them around here for right around $100. Half as much as a 10/22. I learned the hard way not to skimp on optics. Good luck.
I actually got this one for just under 100 dollars.

The experiment has nothing to do with round performance just pressure, it is for a class im taking. The test is to show a relation between bullet weight, velocity, and air pressure. It is not a physics class so I don't need it to be perfect, just show relation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts