Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after all this gun ban talk and watching guns of all types and varieties fly off the shelves, I caved and went gun shopping with the intent of not leaving the store without a gun. My original plan was to pick up a glock 17 or 19 that my local gun shop carried.

Ordinarily I wouldnt want a glock due to the lack of personality that these guns tend to have, but these were flat earth glocks. :) Pretty spiffy lookin piece. But go figure, I showed up too late and they had just sold the last one not even an hour before.

So i browsed the selection of new pistols with my budget of $600 in mind. (I know, not the biggest budget but with a new wife and my 9 month old son...I'm poor as hell. lol) The only thing that I saw that would be worth it was either an M9, or a high standard 1911 that looked kinda...rough to be a new gun.

I told the guy I was interested in the 1911 but didnt know much about them and I had never shot a .45. He pulled a much higher end hi-standard 1911 that they use as a range gun to let me try out. And the moment I shot it, wow. I think I may be done with 9mm. :D

Anyways, I go back in and he tells me that he really doesnt recommend the hi standard that they had in stock and instead shows me a used gun. He pulls out a Remington model 1911 R1. The thing looks very lightly used. He told me that if I was serious about leaving with a gun today, he'll let me put a few down the pipe. I try it out and had 1 failure to feed on my 2nd round. But DAMN the thing shot sweet. (I'm thinkin I limp wristed...this was my first .45 afterall.)

I ask the price, and he tells me $550. I ask what comes with it. He goes and retrieves the case, which contained, 2 factory mags, 1 colt mag, and 2 10rd mags. (He thought they may be promags.)

I'm instantly skeptical as to why the low price for such a lightly used gun with several extras. Hell, the 3 extra mags were prolly worth around 60 bucks. He says they got a good deal on the trade. Since, I had purchased from this guy before...I trusted him and went with it.

Turns out, as I'm about to pay for the gun. Another clerk walks up and goes, "hey, those mags dont come with it, those are extra."
The clerk who helped me, tells him "well i already told him they come with it, so they're going with it." :D

So OTD price, 602 something. I think I came away pretty well. I even took it into a local gunsmith and had them check it out. They said they estimate between 500-1000 rounds through it. Barely any wear at all. So pretty low round count. Hell, my sr9c has 1700 rounds through it.

So what do you guys think? Pretty good for my first 1911? :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Every gun owner should have a good 1911-style .45ACP, & it looks like you picked yourself a winner. I've had a 1911R1 for about a year now, & I love it. Hundreds of rounds through, & I've never had a single failure of any kind. I also bought a bunch of Kimber 8-round flush fit magazines, which have fed perfectly. You could pay a lot more for a 1911 & get significantly less gun. Congratulations, & enjoy!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to own a top of the line 1911 like a kimber, colt, or SA. I just can't afford it. lol. But still, congrats on your future purchase!

So DEKerr, You have an R1? Have you changed anything out on it? Grips? Hammer? Etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree. I tried talking my son's godfather into getting a 1911 for his first gun last week but he went with a cz-duty. Its really nice, but for some reason, all other guns feel funny in my hands after shooting a 1911.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So DEKerr, You have an R1? Have you changed anything out on it? Grips? Hammer? Etc.
I haven't changed a thing, & aside from possibly installing a slightly stronger recoil spring don't know if I will. The pistol is just so damn good looking, & I shoot well w/ it. I've also toyed w/ the idea of trying to find a mainspring housing w/ a lanyard ring to complete the retro look, but that's about it. It's funny, I also have a Colt 1991A1 Compact which I can't seem to stop tinkering w/, but this one just feels right as-is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel ya. It does feel good as is. The only things I want to change are the grips (which I'm kinda toying with the idea of tan grips...but not a sure thing) and if I knew more about 1911 internals, I would like to put some higher quality parts in. I've been carrying the thing since the day I bought it and while I have no reason to distrust it, I've heard horror stories about MIM internals breaking and since my life depends on it, I want it at its best.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm not at all concerned about the MIM parts, but there's nothing particularly wrong w/ overbuilding a gun, either. Whatever you decide to do there will be no shortage of options. If you're looking to beef up internals, springs are always a good place to start. Check out YouTube for complete disassembly/reassembly tutorials, & go from there. Have fun, but be careful: 1911s tend to be addictive. :)

Reactions: Scruz91

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha. Well, Rugers tend to be overbuilt so they spoiled me quite a bit. Ironically, their warranty service is incredible. Meanwhile, I asked remington if as the second owner, am I eligible for any kind of warranty. Unfortunately no. :( So my thought was that since i have no warranty to lose, I can go wild and really beef up my R1. :D

And no kidding. Within 24 hours of owning one, I already wanted MORE!

And since it was also my first .45. I had to buy this as well....

.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly! Funny Die Cut Vinyl Decal / Sticker : Amazon.com : Automotive

Cant wait to put it on my little Nissan Versa. I think it will look nice right below the baby on board sign. haha!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Very nice. As a new 1911 owner myself (RIA), I recognize all of your sentiments. I was ready to buy another the same day I picked up and shot mine for the first time. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice. As a new 1911 owner myself (RIA), I recognize all of your sentiments. I was ready to buy another the same day I picked up and shot mine for the first time. :D
Ooh a RIA??? I asked my local shop if they could get one in for me but they didnt seem too hopeful. lol. I've heard some great things about those guns.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ooh a RIA??? I asked my local shop if they could get one in for me but they didnt seem too hopeful. lol. I've heard some great things about those guns.
Yes, I have read good things about it. I have posted a bit about my experiences here and on the 1911 forum.

http://rugerforum.net/pistols-revolvers/64300-rock-island-1911-owners-what-mods-2.html

New RIA owner - 1911Forum

I have 190 rounds through it using the factory mag and 4 CMC mags. I've had a few FTF and a few cases on the same CMC mag where the slide does not lock open when it's empty. I've replaced the grips with a set of Hogue, but will not make any other changes until I have at least 500 rounds through it. I really love it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The one thing nice about that sweet deal you got, down the line if you want to lower the practice cost, get a 22lr conversion kit for the gun for about 350 bucks and your wife will be out there shooting with you.
One of my 1911s is a Colt 70's series that I have a Advantage Arms 22 lr rimfire conversion kit on it. My grandkids love shooting that gun now with the low recoil 22 kit. Happens to be very accurate and reliable also. Two guns in one.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Congrats on your first 1911...:D

I shot revolvers for 40+ years but went ahead and picked up an SR1911 last September because I was in the market to buy a new gun but I didn't know what I wanted...long story short went for the SR.

This is my first ever experience with an auto loader of any kind and I tell ya, I am in gun heaven with this SR1911 :cool: You'll feel the same with your Remington R1 I'm sure.

Again, congrats, good luck with it and happy shootin'!

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 1911 45 acp!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I totally agree. I tried talking my son's godfather into getting a 1911 for his first gun last week but he went with a cz-duty. Its really nice, but for some reason, all other guns feel funny in my hands after shooting a 1911.
OH, yeah, the addiction. Welcome to the club. :D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Just picked up my first 1911 ( a SR1911) it was between the Remington R1 and an STI Spartan. I just happend to stop by my LGS store and there was the Ruger...Never looked back. But congrats on your new piece.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts