Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried carrying my KelTec P-32 7+1 .32 ACP today in a cheap little Velcro/nylon/elastic ankle holster found on eBay for $6

my first impressions are favorable

- I'm a righty so I carried it in the inside of my left leg
- the trigger is covered safely and the Velcro strap additionally assures retention
- the light weight gun (6.6 oz unloaded) is easy on the ankle
- adjusting the location is the key--- don't want that thing riding on my ankle bone or inside of my tibia

I may give this a go this week as a way to carry a BUG or carry when I have no other options

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Glad you found a way to carry that works for you.
I tried the ankle carry for a very short time, 2 days.

Reason I changed to IWB for carry:

1) Needing to bend down to reach my firearm didn't make me feel comfortable.
Especially if I was approached by an individual (or two). Couldn't access quick enough for my liking
2) Constant leg movement made me wary of firearm moving
3) If I sat down or reached up, I felt the holster would print to easy.
Much more so than in my shirt, if I wore it in my belt.

I guess that's why Baskin & Robbins has so many flavors. Everyone's different.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
As a very heavy man even at 40 I did not have the range of motion for an ankle holster so I used pocket carry at my store.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
THis should be interesting feedback on an ankle carry.

It is usually rejected on the basis of difficult and slow access under stress.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THis should be interesting feedback on an ankle carry.

It is usually rejected on the basis of difficult and slow access under stress.
Both true (difficult and slow) but seems like a great way to carry a small backup gun

Today I even tried clipping my NAA mini revolver to the top of my cowboy boot... That worked well too... Carried it all day with no problems

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Would be an awesome look with shorts. :p

I have thought about ankle carrying my 1908 colt 25ACP. I like the upper suspension holder above the calf, I was always worried the one Around the ankle would be too tight.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I A/C'd for a few years. As has already been said, a couple of weeks to aclimate and you don't notice it. If you have good mobility it's a lot faster than some would believe and it's pretty handy when seated.

The key is a quality fitted holster, especially with a heavier pistol. If you have to run you don't want to part company with your backup! I have used an H&K P7, a Glock 19 and a Colt Detective special. Never had one spotted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If and when I ankle carry, it is in addition to my IWB carry. The biggest pistol I can comfortably carry on the ankle is my Kel Tec P3AT.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I A/C'd for a few years. As has already been said, a couple of weeks to aclimate and you don't notice it. If you have good mobility it's a lot faster than some would believe and it's pretty handy when seated.

The key is a quality fitted holster, especially with a heavier pistol. If you have to run you don't want to part company with your backup! I have used an H&K P7, a Glock 19 and a Colt Detective special. Never had one spotted.
I agree.

With practice and decent mobility, it's not as difficult or slow as it first appears. I have carried a J frame on an ankle for close to 20 years. Primarily as a backup, but also when attire makes other carry modes difficult. Practice is crucial. There are some drawbacks but it does allow a reasonably powerful gun to be close at hand. I stress again....practice is crucial.

A good holster is right behind practice in importance, IMO. I only use one holster type. For ME, it is a Desantis 044. The D-ring keeps the weapon secure and is still comfortable. In my LEO days, I had many a run (even over fences) and it stayed put. I never really warmed up to the neoprene styles. They allowed too much movement. YMMV.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Been trying pocket carry with my LCR. BTW what brand is your pocket holster?? I have one made by UTG that looks like yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried carrying my KelTec P-32 7+1 .32 ACP today in a cheap little Velcro/nylon/elastic ankle holster found on eBay for $6

my first impressions are favorable

- I'm a righty so I carried it in the inside of my left leg
- the trigger is covered safely and the Velcro strap additionally assures retention
- the light weight gun (6.6 oz unloaded) is easy on the ankle
- adjusting the location is the key--- don't want that thing riding on my ankle bone or inside of my tibia

I may give this a go this week as a way to carry a BUG or carry when I have no other options

should be interesting feedback on an ankle carry.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've been ankle carrying a Glock 26 for 5 years at least 40 hours a week, most weeks more. Now when I put my work boots on, it feels strange without it. I carry duty weapon on waist though. Ankle is good for those times when you can have a gun on the waist or in the pocket, depending on clothing. Not often for me for a primary, but don't discount it as a needed basis. I've been using the same Desantis Apache rig the whole time with no need to replace. The padding is worn down, but the holster is still strong no wear it over my boot, so the padding doesn't matter much

·
Registered
644 Posts
PS, reason I like the Desantis rig is it has a snap clasp, and it's positioned so the thumb of your draw hand hits the button to remove retention. Allows for easier one handed draw as opposed to neede to under the Velcro before drawing like the one pictured.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Both true (difficult and slow) but seems like a great way to carry a small backup gun

Today I even tried clipping my NAA mini revolver to the top of my cowboy boot... That worked well too... Carried it all day with no problems
If it's difficult and slow, how can it be great? When you need it, you need it NOW! Not after you've knelt down, lifted your pants and played with velcro.

Please rethink this.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it's difficult and slow, how can it be great? When you need it, you need it NOW! Not after you've knelt down, lifted your pants and played with velcro.

Please rethink this.
I'll have a primary gun which can be accessed faster (IWB, OWB or pocket carry)... This ankle carry would be used for a second (backup) gun

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

Please rethink this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.