Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had rotator cuff repair surgery on 9/19. After 9+ weeks of healing and PT, and some (unauthorized) dry-fire practice around the house lately, I decided to try the real thing at the range. Surgery was on my right shoulder and I am right-handed.

I started with some 115 grain 9mm WWB through my S&W M&P .40 compact (Storm Lake conversion to 9mm). I put around 65 rounds through it. Mostly two-handed, but maybe 10-15 single-handed. Shooting at 7 yards I was steady with two hands and a little bit shaky with one. I put them all on paper and most hit center mass.

Next up I shot 24 rounds of Federal 158 grain .357 JSP through my GP100 4.2" barrel revolver (I love that gun!). Most two-handed, but maybe 6 shots were one-handed. Same result: steady with two, a little shaky with one. This was at 10 yards. Most hit center mass.

Finally, I swapped barrels in my M&P from the 9mm to the stock .40, and shot 50 rounds of 180 grain WWB FMJ. Same result.

First time off handed
One thing I did today that I've not done before, was I tried shooting the .40 off-handed. It's good to practice in case you ever need to in real life. One-handed was pretty good. All hit center mass.

However, with two-handed I did not hold the gun correctly, as it was a new and awkward position for me. I wrapped my right thumb around the back of my left (shooting) hand instead of aligned with my left thumb beneath the slide. On my first shot the slide proceeded to rip some nice gouges into the back of my thumb. Nothing serious, but a good reminder why we practice. I corrected my grip and finished the day with the remaining rounds from the box.

I was generally pleased but not overly concerned with my shot placement today. I was just happy to get back on the range, and the shoulder is no worse for the wear. So, it was a really good day! I will not tell my doctor or PT. While they did not say that I could shoot at this point in my recovery, they did not explicitly forbid it either.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I went through the same surgery a year ago 1/6/12, all went well and was back shooting my USPSA matches by march . I was dry firing around 3 -4 weeks and started with my mark lll at 6 weeks moved up to 9mm, 40 and 45 the week after. I have had no pain like I did before. Sounds like your on the good side of mending!
Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had both shoulders done last year, about 8 weeks later I went out shooting, mostly with one of my 8x57 mauser customs and my 45acp. Yep it hurt for a couple of days, yes my Doctor was not entirely happy with me and yes the wife was very unhappy with me. It felt so good to be shooting again that I took the chewing outs with a smile and a yes sir, no dear. If I had to do it again, Without a doubt. Congrats for getting back on the horse.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...yes my Doctor was not entirely happy with me...Congrats for getting back on the horse.
That's why I'm not confessing to anything! :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Good that it's working out for you.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey Charlie - glad to hear things are going well with the shoulder and that you were able to get back on the range again. Best wishes on a speedy complete recovery.

Wave

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Good for ya!! I lost my right hand in 2006 and had to learn all of it with only my left, im now left handed!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Good to hear. I had shoulder surgery in August, was shooting my 9mm in Oct.

Still sore as heck, so waiting a while before 12g's and ARs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...Doc wants physical therapy first.
D, I told my doc that I wanted mine fixed, period. No stop-gap and maybe, possibly, temporary solutions. That's why we opted for the surgery. He said that was the only way to really fix it in my case. All reports indicate that recovery is long, but the repair is worth it IMO.

JRICKARD81 said:
I lost my right hand in 2006 and had to learn all of it with only my left, im now left handed!!
J, Guess I've got nothing to complain about! I'm curious, (forgive me if you think I'm prying) was it service related? I'm impressed that you were able to compensate.

Thanks to all well-wishers. Seems I'm on par with others who have gone through it. Seems like us shooters tend to push it and keep it a secret. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts