Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR - Mark III target or competition model for first time gun buyer who wants to blow away some targets?

Hey everyone. Quick background about me, I have little to no knowledge of guns and have only shot one time in my life (a few rounds through a friends Glock). I've also never owned one.

With that said, I WANT A RUGER! :D

I did a lot of research and it seems everyone is pleased with any Mark series pistol. I'm looking at the Mark III personally. I went to a local gun shop and held one compared to the 22/45, I like the pointability of the Mark III better.

I'll only be using it at the range for some target shooting and building some good shooting skills and fundamentals. I hope to also get involved in some competitions when I don't suck as much lol.

With that said, on Ruger's website I see the Mark III comes in four different "trims." Basic, target, hunter, and competitions, and as is human nature I immediately divebombed towards the shiney looking competition model!

Is there any significant difference between the competition and the target models? I know the competition has a longer barrel and the slabsides but those are really the only differences I can come up with. If the competition is better for target shooting, I'll probably go with that so I have a good gun to bring to competitions when I get to that level.

Also, random question, I can figure out how to take apart a Mark III from a thread I found here. But how in the world do I learn how to clean it :confused:

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
If money is an issue, just get yourself the 5 1/2" Target. Having owned and shot them all, there is more random variation from one gun to the next than there is any feature advantages.

The only advantage of the Hunter or Comp is the longer distance between the front and rear sight (sight radius) which is helpful when shooting iron sights. If you end up shooting a red dot or scope, no advantage to the longer barrels at all.

Some folks like the thumbrest grip on the Comp, some don't. It is by no means necessary for accurate shooting. Besides, you can always add a set, later, if you want.

Each of these three - the Target, Comp and Hunter - does have a different feel and balance, so you may find you have a personal preference, but all three will supply more accuracy than most folks can ever use.

Your manual will explain basic maintenance. Cleaning is a breeze. Not to worry.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Welcome...
You must handle all of them to determine which one feels the best in your hand, then the decision is easy...
Good Luck...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome...
You must handle all of them to determine which one feels the best in your hand, then the decision is easy...
Good Luck...

+1 I agree. Some will suit you better than others and most gun stores will let you handle all for as long as you want. Model 1911 I know a lot of quotes from the founding fathers but I hadn't heard that one from Washington - very good.

·
Registered
356 Posts
...and after your done handling them, put your money into the SR22P. :)

Well at least look at it. Its a really good little gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts