Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Brand new handgun owner here. I just picked up my GP100 model 1708 from my local shop (via Davidson's). So far, the gun is awesome!

After reading my manual & watching dozens of take down / field stripping videos, I have really enjoyed giving the gun a thorough close up examination tonight. However, while looking over every nook & cranny (and doing a bit of dry firing along the way), I have have come across some strange things. I was hoping the Ruger experts & veterans on these great forums might help shine some light on these oddities:

1) The gun came with no spent casing in the little envelope. I didn't really think much of it until I got home & read in the manual that it's supposed to be there. I need to call the FFL shop tomorrow to see if they took it, but assuming it came from Davidson's without the spent casing...is that a red flag?

2) There is a bit of play in the extractor rod. It slides back & forth about 1/8". When I shake the gun a bit, I see & hear it rattling in the little cowl built into the under lug. The functionality of the rod seems fine & smooth, just the one end moves a bit. Is that normal or cause for concern?

3) There was some mysterious orange paint or other orange substance around the firing pin on the cylinder side. It doesn't really look like rust, but rather some sort of paint or metal transfer. It's somewhat circular shaped like the end of a shell. Is that normal or cause for concern? Would the test shell(s) have caused this? See picture below:

4) There was some mysterious blue gunk in the hammer area near the firing pin, transfer bar, and pawl. I have no idea what this would be. It almost looks like oxidized copper, but what the heck would it have been doing there? Any ideas what this is? See pictures below:

5) When I removed the grip, I noticed what appear to be a couple small spots of rust just below where the grips would cover the hammer spring frame. Is this a cause for concern? Should a new gun have something like this? See picture below:

6) After dry firing 50 or 60 times while learning about the gun, I have noticed it develop a squeak when I pull the trigger in double action at the start of the pull. It's there a tiny bit when I manually cock the hammer, but much more prevalent in double action. I have not fully taken down the gun yet & cleaned/lubed things, so I'm expecting that to go away. However, is it normal for a new gun to start squeaking so quickly?

7) There are some crude numbers scratched into several places on the gun (inside the crane hinge, on the hammer spring frame, etc). Is this sort of strange marking typical of Ruger manufacturing? See picture below:

I'm hoping most of these strange findings are just quirks or easily explained, but they were enough for this novice to try seeking out some help. I greatly appreciate any wisdom you kind folks can share.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Not to sure but my brand new LGS bought SP101 TALO Deloxe also did not come with a fired case. I never worried about it. I live in a state that does not use them and I will never live in a state that does use them.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
+1 maybe if the gun is shipping to a state that doesn't use them, they don't supply them.

The orange paint by the firing pin is most likely some kind of lacquer or primer compound from test firing,the blue stuff by the firing pin is Blue Loctite, for the firing pin bushing.

Most if not all of my numerous Rugers have the etched numbers, these are used by Ruger techs to keep the parts straight during assembly so everything goes to the right gun.......no problem, S&W uses them too.

The ejector rod's only function in life is to push the ejector star out, to punch out empty shells. It does not lock into anything like a S&W or Six series, so it will have some movement. The crane is locked up by that small tab called a "crane lock" , a far superior method to the ejector rod lockup.

The rust is wierd, my brand new blued Vaquero came out of the box with a spot of rust on the butt of the grip frame........it left a bit of damage on the blue. I buy Rugers to use, not to lock away in a safe so I didn't worry much about it. The gun was 100% mechanically perfect and shoots fine, so I'm not gonna gripe.

I love Rugers,and own many of them, they are my favorite guns, but bear in mind they build them to a price point.......it's amazing, IMO, that they can offer a gun like a GP100 for $5-600 in today's economy, probably the best deal out there. But they have to get them assembled, boxed up and out the door without spending undue time on cosmetic stuff. There's a reason why a Ruger GP100 is $600, a Blackhawk is $550-600, and a Freedom Arms single action starts at $2500 for a base model, or a Korth double action sells for thousands.........because you're paying the "extra" for the perfect fit, finish and cosmetic and mechanical perfection.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Congratulations on a fine revolver. I think you've made a great choice.

1. I wouldn't worry about it.
2. My GP100 has the same trait. See #1 above.
3. See #1 above.
4. See #1 above.
5. Clean it up and see #1 above. Make sure to clean under the grips occasionally.
6. See #1 above. They use the numbers to keep parts together on the assembly line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The gun did come from Ruger with the spent casing in the little envelope, they all do since the gun could be shipped by the dealer to any State that requires them. Someone decided to remove the casing. Either that or there is a huge loophole in the law.

Mine also has a bit of play in the extractor rod, which if you'll notice completely retracts back towards the crane when closed and has no further movement. The rattle is coming from the transfer bar. Check to see if yours is the same by holding the rod with your thumb and give the GP a shake.

See if your rust isn't but a protective substance that hardened.

The orange paint came from the heads of the test cartridges. Most manufacturers paint the cartridges as a high visability precaution since the revolvers go back on the shop floor after test firing for final finishing.

I do not have any etchings on my GP.

Happy times with your great choice in revolver.

If your interested Ruger has a "How it's made' series on youtube.
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8lFprFu39AOak-8AYxoP-Vu8fFKNtN4e

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new GP100...as Robert Eddison's character, the Old Knight in Indiana Jones Last Crusade said, "You have chosen...wisely!"

Issues with GP100...nothing I'd be overly concerned about...it's a solid-as-a-rock revolver with the quality built into it's ruggedness! You won't find a tougher gun out there!

Just a thought... XS Sight Systems, Inc. - Main Page makes a beautiful Tritium front night sight for the fixed-sight Ruger revolvers...I have one on my 4" fixed-sight revolver (see avatar) and it works wonderfully for low/no light shooting!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The last state (Maryland) to require the spent case repealed the legislation and therefore Ruger will no longer be supplying the spent case in the little brown envelope. The manual has just not caught up with the change. It was a useless and irrelevant thing to begin with.

Everything noted is perfectly normal and I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
The gun did come from Ruger with the spent casing in the little envelope, they all do since the gun could be shipped by the dealer to any State that requires them. Someone decided to remove the casing.

Mine also has a bit of play in the extractor rod, which if you'll notice completely retracts back towards the crane when closed and has no further movement. The rattle is coming from the transfer bar. Check to see if yours is the same by holding the rod with your thumb and give the GP a shake.

See if your rust isn't but a protective substance that hardened.

The orange paint came from the heads of the test cartridges. Most manufacturers paint the cartridges as a high visability precaution since the revolvers go back on the shop floor after test firing for final finishing.

Happy times with your great choice in revolver.

If your interested Ruger has a "How it's made' series on youtube.
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8lFprFu39AOak-8AYxoP-Vu8fFKNtN4e
Ken...Welcome aboard sir! You show some good knowledge Ruger revolvers and shared some great information! Thanks for posting!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The gun did come from Ruger with the spent casing in the little envelope, they all do since the gun could be shipped by the dealer to any State that requires them. Someone decided to remove the casing.

Maryland scraps failed cartridge casing mandate advocated by gun control groups

The spent casing is history and the OP's gun did not ship with one. This has been noted in other threads and is now common. There is no state that requires this.

If you look closely inside the crane you should see the last three digits of your serial number etched there or marked somehow. Typically the etching looks like it was done by a 2nd grader and can be hard to decipher. Similar etching are common on the frame peg under the grip.

Edit: Assume we are talking new guns here. The old GPs were not etched but I know starting around 2013 they started etching the last three digits of the serial number in the inside yoke of the crane. Note in the OP's last photo the numbers are 514. In his first photo the serial number ends in 514.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Postings above have addressed all of the stated issues pretty well. I'll only add that my 5 in bbl GP100 came new with some rust under and around the front sight also, and I thoroughly cleaned it and used a little metal polish to remove it. Since then I have just kept it clean and lightly applied gun oil from time to time and it has never returned or been an issue. The GP100 is not a highly finished revolver by any means, but they are rugged, handsome, and I love them!:)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My new 5" GP100 came with what looked like blue ink in the main spring area of the frame under the grip. I first noticed it on my hands during my initial strip down. It wasn't just in a little spot or bright like the OP picture it was dark blue like ink and it was all over the inside of the grip frame.

I also had some reddish brown areas that looked like rust but it seemed to be just the gunk they use for lube.

All that stuff easily wiped off during the first cleaning. I only have a few hundred rounds through it and it has been flawless.

I bought it new in Feb and it did include a spent casing.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts

I bought it new in Feb and it did include a spent casing.
Yes because Maryland did not repeal their legislation until May of 2015. Only guns of recent manufacture will no longer have the spent casing. Doesn't matter when the gun gets bought - folks will be buying "brand new" Rugers for years that will have the spent casing inside as inventory sometimes sits in stock for years before getting sold. But every spent casing envelope found will be dated prior to mid-2015.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nice! I pick up mine today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow :-( ). I'll be on the lookout for this stuff. I'm thinking I'll want new grips, sights, and springs and then shoot the heck out of it. :D

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Just in case it wasn't clear from all the other replies:

5. It is rust. Stainless steel is rust-resistant, not rust-proof. A little rubbing with a fresh pencil eraser should take care of it; after that, a small amount of oil and regular cleaning should keep the rust in check.

6. The squeak is probably the trigger return spring compressing. Stainless steel is inherently rougher than carbon steel, so it tends to make a noise when things rub against it. Either ignore it or put a small amount of dry lube in the spring channel - I use a dry lube marketed for bicycle chains.

Enjoy your new GP100!

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your responses, some really excellent info throughout!

I have been wanting a GP100 for years & my better half finally caved & gave me the stamp of approval after getting her to attend the excellent (and FREE) "Sure Shots Introductory Shooting Class" at the Ben Avery range in Phoenix. After learning about gun safety & handling, we've gone to some rental ranges & now she even wants her own .22!

Anyway, the GP100 was supposed to be my birthday present coming up in November, but this week's 1708 sale at Davidson's was too good to pass up. It was so bizarre...when researching what model I wanted, I had discovered that my "perfect GP100" didn't exist. I wanted something like the Wiley Clapp, 3" SS barrel & adjustable sights...but in a stock configuration that was cheaper & allowed me to make my own upgrades as I saw fit.

And then, like a bolt of lightning from Zeus, thus did the 1708 appear on the Davidson's Gun Genie when I was looking last weekend! I knew I had to have one. And then like a second bolt of lighting...the damn thing went on an insane sale for one week starting this past Monday. I've never experienced a bit of serendipity like that before in my life. It's still freaking me out a little bit, shaking some of my world view convictions. It's like it was "meant to be." Anyway...

I am soooooo excited about this gun, can't wait to get it cleaned up & out to the range!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

Congrats on the great find:)

Some things like that are just "meant to be":)

Back in 2008, I was on Christmas block leave from the Army, and was home visiting my parents.Having just got back from a deployment in Oct., I had a few bucks to burn......so being the gun nut (sorry enthusiast) that I am, I took a ride down to the local Gander Mt. to see if I could find anything..........looked around, saw a blued 6" GP100, brand new, sitting in the case. I had 0 experience with Rugers, but, I like trying new things, so I bought it for something like $500 some odd.......I think I was lured in by the neat wood insert grips.......got back to my parents house, it was like 10 degrees out, but I ran out to the backyard and put a quick 6 rounds of .357 through it. I made some small mods to that gun but I still have it. It was quickly followed by a Speed Six, and many more Rugers.

I often wonder if I hadn't made that trip to the store, would I be the Ruger nut I am today? Probably, it just would have taken longer:)

They are the best DA revolver out there, period, hands down. The GP100 is made for "business", not frilly pretty boy cosmetic stuff:)

I have the same gun in .38 Special, the 1751, and I love it. Perfect with compact Lett grips and a red insert sight. Also added the Ruger rear sight blade with the slightly narrower notch, to make the sight picture more like a S&W 67.

Springs are stock, I touched nothing but the grips and sights.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I concur that nothing in the OP is cause for concern. That revolver is good to go!

I am under the impression that the red orange paint around the firing pin is from a proof load cartridge that is used to test fire at Ruger. I believe the case is painted both for loaded ID/safety, and because the round is loaded above SAAMI pressure specs (hence "proof load"), so it should not be confused with standard pressure cartridges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

I bought some cleaning & maintenance materials today, and tackled my first disassembling job. I got an Otis pistol kit, some brushes, a bottle of MPRO7 oil, and a cut up old t-shirt. It went very well, actually! I got everything apart, cleaned, and lubed. The only tricky part was getting the trigger assembly out, but I conquered it eventually.

The gun feels really really great now! The squeaky double action is now buttery smooth, and the weird orange/blue/rust spots were easily remedied. Again, thanks to everyone for the help on this. It honestly feels like a couple pounds of pull were removed from the trigger. Amazing!

I did notice one thing when cleaning the barrel that has given me pause. There are some dark orange streaks down the inside of the barrel following the rifling. I searched the forums & also the general internet for answers. I think these marks might just be copper fouling from the test shots, but I would love to get some more eyes on this to be sure.

If those are copper marks, do I need to remove them or are they ok to leave so long as I got the carbon deposits out? If that's rust...should this baby go back to Davidson's or the factory? Again, thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
It's copper fouling, nothing to worry about. No need to aggressively attack it, it won't hurt anything. Remember FAR more guns are "cleaned out" not "shot out".........many bores have been damaged by people who scrub with bronze brushes until they reach muscle failure, trying to get every spec of carbon out.

I have rifles and revolvers that have copper in the bores that's been there probably 20 years before I was born, in some cases, with the rifles, probably 70 years.......

The only work I do with copper is to let the bore sit wet with Hoppe's Bench Rest, then the next day wipe it out........lots of blue and green stuff comes out on the cleaning patches. I don't do metal bore brushes, or use anything with ammonia in it.

It's a habit I acquired from years and 100's of thousands of rounds through old military surplus rifles.......in some cases TOO much cleaning hurt the accuracy, since the copper would fill frost and pits in the bores. Used "Bore Kleen" foam in an Enfield once, bore shined like new, the rifle couldn't hold a group until I had another few 100 through it........

From now on I clean them until they're "clean", but don't overdo it, and haven't had a problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts