Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
long time reader of the pistol forum & this is my first post.
i'm new to the forum so please help me out if i'm missing something :)

I got my SR9 from Bullet Trap (Plano, TX) about 1 month ago. $410+tax (best price all around town).
Looks & feels just right in my small-hand grip. I and my friend sent 200 rounds downrange for the first week. shoot right out the box very well. I watched some videos and do a field strip & cleaning. Pretty straight forward and easy to do. No tools needed. I just used hoppes #9 and remmington oil from walmart (not sure if these are good...)

Last week, we brought it to the range and it started to have some failures at the ~250th round. About 4-5 times over the next 100 rounds.

One was FTExtract, about 2-3 FTFeed, 2 times it did not lock back the slide after the last round. No FTfire.
It was my friend who operated and encountered all the issues. He's a first-time shooter as well. And he might have had some limp-wrist at the moment, i'm not sure. Then i thought it's fine, went home & fieldstripped & cleaned.

So today, I was early at walmart and able to grab some Tulammo 115gr, steel case. I didn't realize that steel casing has some negative reviews in the shooting community until i got home. Anyways, this afternoon i managed to shoot 100 rounds of the steel case tulammo. I can't feel the difference, maybe i'm a newbie to this.
However, I had 2 FTFeed. And most of the time, the steel casing seems to have a lot of friction between the bullets (i noticed that once in a while, they wouldn't line up the zig-zag position, and it's not smooth to push the round back when loading).

I am excited for how accurate the gun is and how good it feels & looks. But again, should I be concerned with the failures? Should I shoot some more to "break-in" the gun? (i heard people shoot their sr9 for thousands rounds without issue right out the box...)

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum from upstate NY. And welcome to the Ruger family.
I wish I could help you but have no experience with the SR9. There will be others that will offer assistance though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
A lot of first time pistol owners have similar issues to what you are describing they way one holds the firearm is often the cause of it.

I do not own a SR9 so i am not real familiar with the platform. I would say take a look at the part of the frame with the little feed ramp and make sure it is clean.

In my LC9 I can't shoot Steel case ammo it causes all kinds of feed and extraction issues.
My wife has a Beretta PX4 storm Compact and it will Feed and eat anything I was actually amazed at how accurate it is shooting TulAmmo

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since it was your friend who encountered the bulk of the failures, I'd chalk it up to a combination of the gun still being a bit tight during the break-in period and limp-wristing. If it is doing it for you in another couple hundred rounds, I'd be surprised. New Rugers are tight.

By the way, I used to shoot a lot of the cheap steel cased stuff out of my old P95. I broke the extractor after 6,000 rounds. Some of my guns just hate it. I use all brass case now.

Welcome to the forum. The SR-9 is a great gun.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Great handgun, congratulations & enjoy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome from Vermont! It's possible the problems you've experienced will disappear once the gun is broken in a bit. You made a great choice with the SR9!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the welcoming, guys :)

i did my homework and a lot of research before buying the sr9. great gun!

as far as the failures go, i'll try to shoot another 100 rounds of tulammo (i bought 300rds...) to see how it go.

thank you so much for your input!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have had an SR9 for some time now and have had no problems with it. But I do remember having some FTE during my first few rounds but nothing in the last 300-500 rounds. Love the gun and it's my go to home defense weapon. Enjoy it and keep shooting.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have thousands of rounds through my SR9c and haven't had a failure of any type. Last summer I had about 100 rounds of Tulammo. One thing we all noticed is that it seemed very underpowered compared to the other range ammo we had, namely Federal Champion and Independence. Since your gun is new maybe you're recoil spring is a little stiff for underpowered ammo to let it cycle reliably? Just a thought. Good luck and if it turns out to be a problem with the gun I'm sure Ruger will make it right.

·
Banned
1,402 Posts
Welcome......I always spend a few more $$$$$$$$$ and purchase better ammo....wouldn't even think of using Tula, or anything else similar.......may be a reason, after 37+ yrs. of shooting, have NEVER had an FTF, FTE, or anyother problem, with any of my firearms.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Most likely shooter error. Check out the range section http://rugerforum.net/range/ for some correction targets they'll show if you limp wristing of pulling the gun off aim or anticipating the shot. Easy to download and print at home.

If not it might just be the cleaning. It can take 40 minutes or more to really clean and oil a gun. Also look around on how to clean you magazines. Probably not a problems yet but still needs to be wiped down after shooting.

Sound bad but its not. Takes time and after awhile you'll come home and sit watching TV while doing it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the SR9 was about the 20th handgun (4th new) I've ever bought. For all around price, fit, function and accuracy it is also the best pistol I've ever owned. About 2000 through my SR9 and still no problems. I did the limp wrist test when I first bought it-you know-holding it loosely with one hand and dumping the magazine as fast as I could. I did get a few stovepipes...so....it is possible.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome aboard! Hope you get it all worked out. I recommend going to shoot with someone who has shot quite a bit for two reasons. See if he can figure out any problems and also you will learn quite a bit. Ask lots of questions and pay attention. You are on the this site and and obviously trying to learn so that is a good start.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome from mid-coast Maine. Good luck with your SR9. These guys can give you the guidance you need to keep it running right.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts