Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay let me start with a bunch of disclaimers. This is the first handgun I've ever owned, and the first handgun I've fired as an adult and within the last quarter century.

I printed out some targets from that ProTarget web site, 8.5x11, so the outer circle of the target is 6" in diameter.

First thing I did was put one .38 special in a cylinder to sort of guage my expectations of recoil, etc. Target set at 20 feet but I had the table in front of me so distance to target about 7 yards. First round hit the paper, which is all I was hoping for.

Then I loaded up the entire cylinder, closed it, aimed, squeezed the trigger and the trigger felt really light and the gun didn't fire. I emptied the gun and tried dry firing and the same thing happened. Tried it a third time, dry firing and it clicked the way it's supposed to. I could be wrong, and I have not yet tried to recreate the problem, but I think maybe I hadn't firmly put the cylinder in place. Would that sort of thing happen?? I would have thought that if the cylinder wasn't tightly secured the trigger wouldn't pull at all. Regardless, I never had that problem again through a box of 50 .38 specials and a box of 50 .357s.

This is getting long, so I'll post scans of the targets in another post. But some things I discovered:

1. Twenty feet is plenty far enough away to practice! I tried 30 and did okay, tried six rounds at 45 though and only hit the 8.5x11 sheet three times. The next several trips to the range I will probably start at 20 feet and go back to 30.

2. Boy, there sure is a difference between .38 and .357! I did better, generally, with the .38s and that might have been because I was anticipating recoil with the .357. I did settle down with the .357 later though, after making some adjustments with my left hand (I'm right handed), getting better contact with the heel of my left palm onto the grip. That really helped.

3. As the scans will show you, I am very frugle. I apparently like to keep all bullets away from the right half of the target. This way, next time I go to the range I can just rotate the targets 180 degrees and reuse them. This, as you know, takes an expert marksman to pull off.

4. On the .38s, several but not all of the spent casings had dark shading coming back from the end of the shell. The range officer said to look for a pattern, see if those all come from the same cylinder, but they didn't really seem to. Nothing like that with the .357s. Is this normal?

5. One .357 round failed to go off. I'm using target ammo, white and blue box, maybe Independence brand? Can't remember off hand. The primer had a small dent in it. Again I asked the range officer and he said that happens, put it in again and see if it works. It did.

Overall it was a nice time, but I was worried about that business at the beginning. I will try to recreate that problem at home tonight, but let me know if you think it sounds like a problem. As I said, once I became more deliberate about closing the cylinder, it never happened again.

Thanks.
Ed.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't make too much fun of me here. 8.5x11 sheet, 6" diameter outer circle:

This is my first try shooting .38 at 20 feet.

More .38s at 20 feet.

.38, a try at 30 feet.

First time ever shooting .357. 20 feet.

.357, 30 feet, not as different than 20 feet as I thought. This is where I adjusted my grip and got more support from my left hand.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Consistent-all left-experts could tell you what that means, but I'd suggest letting another shooter fire 12 or so and see if the gun may be throwing left-(sights) or it can be your grip...ain't it fun, though, and I'm glad for you---and those Magnums do roar a bit!!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sheepdog. You know, I thought about asking the range officer to shoot six, but I assumed that it was me because I'm so new at it, and also I didn't really think of the idea until I had run through all my ammo.

But I'll let my policeman neighbor shoot it a bit and make certain it's a Me issue and not a Gun issue.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
HEY1 It looks like they are all on the paper. Not bad for a new gun, new shooter combo. I'm assuming DA fire and strong handed, not bench rest on the bags. I don't think there is too much to complain about here. Nothing a little practice and adjustment wouldn't take care of. Possible you are cupping the weak hand too hard and pulling to the left.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Jimbo! I can't guarantee that they're ALL on the paper, but I brought the target back at the most after every other cylinder and accounted for most of them (except those few at 45 feet)...

My left hand is definitely a likely culprit. I don't really know what to do with it. And I'm not sure where to put either of my thumbs. But I'll have my neighbor show me that this weekend.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I know the birds'll leave the trees when I say this, but I'd learn to shoot one-handed...that's the way this old dog did...reason being I usually had a flashlight in the other hand held high and away so the BG wouldn't hit me when he shot at my light...and I've only begun the last 3 years or so to shoot with both hands...and it feels wrong to me, too...might try it a bit and see if you like it...sure have a good grip on that GP for that way...the old S&W wood stocks were a pain-finally went to Packy rubber grips-I like the Ruger wood/rubber combo and it looks sharp, too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts