Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So What yardage would you start at with a new sp101?
Is there anything written to give a step by step procedure.?

·
Super Moderator
21,279 Posts
Once you figure out where it's hitting at 7 yards then take it out 25 yards and practice. If you can put them on paper or even better at that range then self defense distance is a chip shot. The SP is accurate enough to do what you want, it's really up to you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New shooter, I'd start at 3 yards, learn the firearm, shoot a tight group with some speed. Then, start backing it up and repeat.
I’m not a new shooter, just new with this gun.
Wife will be a new shooter.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Start up close . Putting a target at 50 yards and not getting any shots on the paper is very frustrating .
Start at 7 yards and when you can make small groups on the target , back it up a few feet .
Do Not be concerned with speed right now, you have to become accurate and shoot small groups first . Speed comes later .
I see newb's at the range spraying the country side with 9mm bullets as fast as they can pull the trigger...wrong...that's not the way to shoot .
Gary

·
Cat Herder
1,638 Posts
The first time I shot a handgun I was out on my dad's farm and started at 5 yards. I'd shoot a cylinder, take a step back if they were all on target. I repeated this process for probably an hour (it was a 22 revolver), and have to say that it really helped me learn to aim and shoot a handgun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first time I shot a handgun I was out on my dad's farm and started at 5 yards. I'd shoot a cylinder, take a step back if they were all on target. I repeated this process for probably an hour (it was a 22 revolver), and have to say that it really helped me learn to aim and shoot a handgun.
I’m ok with the aim and shoot, it was just the yardage for a new gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
For me, it is 10Y at a paper plate (user marker to make a black bullseye in middle), no matter what the revolver. Like I did today with my new .45 Colt Model P. Far enough away that you can immediately tell where it is shooting, yet not off the plate (unless the sights are really really screwy). In my case a little left and slightly high. Good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts