Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Been scoping around for a pistol for a couple weeks now. There is a bunch of information on the forums, so thanks to all the members and forum staff!

Initially I had been looking at the Sig P938 to carry on my ankle, and at the price, I had all but talked myself to go ahead and spend the extra $400 on the SA EMP. I grew up with SA, as my father, a retired USN CPO EWC, had always owned SA's. Familiarity is always good, right? I had never personally owned a pistol before, but have had countless rounds through a Micro or xd40 of my father's. Anyway, I wanted something cheaper to shoot at the range compared to the .45 that I was most familiar with. I picked up this months edition of G&A as it had a feature on pocket carry sized pistols. I never would carry in my pocket, as thats for my cell phone on one side and a rather large assisted open CRKT US-made knife in the other. Anyway, I saw the LC9, and did some reading. I was pretty much sold on Ruger as I wanted an American made firearm. Watched a video from hickok45 on youtube for the LC9 and noticed the SR9C on the bench as he was reviewing the LC9. It looked just the right size, around the same size the Micro I was accustomed to, not to mention with the stainless, it is aesthetically pleasing! Watched a couple more videos from hickok45 on the SR9c and fell in love. Comments and discussion in this forum on the pistol has me all but 100% sold on it.

I live 20 minutes from the infamous Buds in Lexington, KY. They have a couple used ones down there right now, so tomorrow during lunch I'm going to go fire a box through and see how I like it. From what I've read and watched though, I won't be disappointed, and will be going NIB. I won't be walking out with it tomorrow though, as bills come first. It is my Christmas present to myself, so I can wait a few weeks and lay-a-way it.

I'm quite excited for it, and look forward to many years with it!
For those of you that do, how well does this pistol profile in the small of your back? I found that would be the best CC place for me. I wear snug fitting jeans (I'm young, I'm allowed to be trendy ;)), so IWB isnt really an option. Dad packs his Micro in a CC fanny pack (gross lol). Opinions?

Again, thanks for the plethora of information!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello all!
Been scoping around for a pistol for a couple weeks now. There is a bunch of information on the forums, so thanks to all the members and forum staff!

Initially I had been looking at the Sig P938 to carry on my ankle, and at the price, I had all but talked myself to go ahead and spend the extra $400 on the SA EMP. I grew up with SA, as my father, a retired USN CPO EWC, had always owned SA's. Familiarity is always good, right? I had never personally owned a pistol before, but have had countless rounds through a Micro or xd40 of my father's. Anyway, I wanted something cheaper to shoot at the range compared to the .45 that I was most familiar with. I picked up this months edition of G&A as it had a feature on pocket carry sized pistols. I never would carry in my pocket, as thats for my cell phone on one side and a rather large assisted open CRKT US-made knife in the other. Anyway, I saw the LC9, and did some reading. I was pretty much sold on Ruger as I wanted an American made firearm.
Watched a video from hickok45 on youtube for the LC9 and noticed the SR9C on the bench as he was reviewing the LC9. It looked just the right size, around the same size the Micro I was accustomed to, not to mention with the stainless, it is aesthetically pleasing! Watched a couple more videos from hickok45 on the SR9c and fell in love. Comments and discussion in this forum on the pistol has me all but 100% sold on it.

I live 20 minutes from the infamous Buds in Lexington, KY. They have a couple used ones down there right now, so tomorrow during lunch I'm going to go fire a box through and see how I like it. From what I've read and watched though, I won't be disappointed. I won't be walking out with it tomorrow though, as bills come first. It is my Christmas present to myself, so I can wait a few weeks and lay-a-way it.

I'm quite excited for it, and look forward to many years with it!
For those of you that do, how well does this pistol profile in the small of your back? I found that would be the best CC place for me. I wear snug fitting jeans (I'm young, I'm allowed to be trendy ;)), so IWB isnt really an option. Dad packs his Micro in a CC fanny pack (gross lol). Opinions?

Again, thanks for the plethora of information!
You will love the sr9c! It was my first pistol too. I cc it almost all the time, but I carry about 8:30(I'm a lefty) and it hides pretty well. Not sure for small of back but I doubt it's a problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
...can't say enough good about the SR9C. Ruger quality and customer oriented back up when/if needed is a real selling point, too. Small of back just doesn't work for me, and I find that I'm most comfy with a Fobus OWB when I can conceal with shirttail out, or jacket -- other times I use a Disantis IWB/appendix carry. The pistol performs flawlessly and handles great. You'll love it!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina, you are going to love the 9c it is a great gun. As for carry I use a Remora. You can put it any where you like and adjust the cant to suit you. Doesn't require a belt just snug enough clothing to keep it in place. I also can use it as a pocket holster for my Taurus 85. And my sr22 fits in it as well.
I personally would not carry small of the back. Too close to the spine to risk injury if I fall.

Here is a link to the holster I got from remora.

Remora Series 6ART Holster (IWB)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...can't say enough good about the SR9C. Ruger quality and customer oriented back up when/if needed is a real selling point, too. Small of back just doesn't work for me, and I find that I'm most comfy with a Fobus OWB when I can conceal with shirttail out, or jacket -- other times I use a Disantis IWB/appendix carry. The pistol performs flawlessly and handles great. You'll love it!
Thanks for the info :D

I was looking at THIS for the SOB holster. I like the fact that it will also work for cross draw if thats how I chose to carry that day. I always found that cross draw felt more natural to me compared to drawing from my shooting side hip.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Picking up my SR9c tomorrow morning. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info :D

I was looking at THIS for the SOB holster. I like the fact that it will also work for cross draw if thats how I chose to carry that day. I always found that cross draw felt more natural to me compared to drawing from my shooting side hip.
From the photo, it sure appears to be good quality...and, the price is right to give it a try without a big investment. You've gotta use what's comfortable for you and works best, for sure. Keep us posted as you enjoy that "9C" and get used to carrying it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeed. I'm gonna see if Buds has one in stock when I go up tomorrow and see how it feels.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know, right? They kinda frown on it if I put up targets and shoot at my LGS... :)
Mind throwing up a couple pics of the targets and distances after getting a feel for it?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Can't speak to the SR9c, don't have one. Know that when you crossdraw you can tend to muzzle yourself with gun, you may be aware, just wanted to point that out. Anyway, enjoy the SR9c no matter how you carry it. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Heading to the range IMMEDIATLY after I pick it up.... :D
You should really take a few minutes to break it down and clean it, including the striker and channel, before shooting. If you're like most of us, you'll really like this gun.

After you register with Ruger, you'll have a coupon worth up to $20 on extras. Won't be long before you're looking at extra magazines, sights, and all the other goodies ;).

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nothing wrong with a SR9c.
It's a great handgun, enjoy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You should really take a few minutes to break it down and clean it, including the striker and channel, before shooting. If you're like most of us, you'll really like this gun.

After you register with Ruger, you'll have a coupon worth up to $20 on extras. Won't be long before you're looking at extra magazines, sights, and all the other goodies ;).
Initial packing grease cleaning-- That was something I spoke with Buds about already. They said it is included, as they fire the gun before letting customer take delivery of the pistol, when you buy directly at the store. I guess this help unnecessary returns to the shop "Hey, this thing doesn't work!"

Already looking at the Tritium sights. It's worth it to have a little extra visibility at night :D

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

I will take the time to do that for sure. The Frog Lube will be ready and waiting. :D

It's funny... I will have three of those 20% things I need to use. Wanted to get the iron before I went with accessories.... Will need more mags for the SR22 and the SR9c as well as ccw holsters for the LCR and the SR9c.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just ordered an SR9c last night, looking forward to ownership and shooting the thing.

It'll be the sixth handgun, following a Beretta 950 .25 ACP, a S&W 622 VR .22 LR, a Taurus 689 .357 Magnum, a Rossi snub-nose .38 Special, and the latest purchase, a full sized Beretta PX4 INOX in 9mm.

The SR9c will be my 2nd Ruger following my 10-22 that my father gave me about 35 years ago, of course I still have it.

I've researched various 9mm's for a couple months now and honestly feel the SR9c will be a great investment as I retake my CCL class in December after letting it expire 15 years ago. :)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Just ordered an SR9c last night, looking forward to ownership and shooting the thing.

It'll be the sixth handgun, following a Beretta 950 .25 ACP, a S&W 622 VR .22 LR, a Taurus 689 .357 Magnum, a Rossi snub-nose .38 Special, and the latest purchase, a full sized Beretta PX4 INOX in 9mm.

The SR9c will be my 2nd Ruger following my 10-22 that my father gave me about 35 years ago, of course I still have it.

I've researched various 9mm's for a couple months now and honestly feel the SR9c will be a great investment as I retake my CCL class in December after letting it expire 15 years ago. :)
Nice collection.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts