Ruger Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Bisley was a shooting match back in the day. Very popular and well covered by the press of the day. Shooters would lie on their off side, feet toward the target. Extending their strong arm down their side. To help with pistol control, the "Bisley" grip was developed.
I am not a technical expert on the grip, but it proved popular with the shooters and there you are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree with the earlier .45acp/.45lc and .38spl/.357 discussions. If you're going to have both go for the forty-fives. There's nothing like launching a .45 round down range. Heck, a .45 is the closest thing to indirect fire out of a handgun as you can get! Ammo is becoming available and buying a can full of .45 ball will be easier and cheaper.

Live it up a little and get the .45

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
going .45 for sure before I change my mind lol.
Trying to find the best, most affordable .45 lead ammo online (remanufactured or new).

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know if there is some professional reloader to use your brass and reload to your specifications. BUT get your ammo in reloadable brass against the time you do reload OR price what you can get for once fired brass on gunbroker, etc. and sell it. I bought a small amount of once-fired 45 Colt for a RUGER 45/45ACP just in case I would keep the gun...still undecided...and it was a lot higher priced and harder to find than 357 or 44 brass.

There's plenty of 45 ACP out there, so I'd be using that in a convertible most of the time. I hate the thought of having ammo and a reloading outfit and only one gun to use it in.

For a trigger job, look for poor boy trigger job on various forums. Next would be a spring swap. My choice...and most expensive...would be a professional trigger job. I'll admit to being picky in my old age AND having trigger work done on everything I shoot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great thread! About the only thing I would add is don't buy any revolver with a built in lock. There is certainly nothing "traditional" about any firearm with one of those. I would definitely buy used, if necessary, to avoid one of those models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Got a killer deal on the .45LC / .45ACP convertible model from J&J Guns.
Went with 5.5" barrel
Went with blued finish

Now I need an inexpensive holder & belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hyde16

Name caught my attention especially since you are from Morristown NJ. Is that your last name? I was born & raised there and lived on Western Avenue right down from the YMCA. My name is Robert (Bob) Hyde. Left in 1975 joining the Navy. My uncle Carl was a Chief of Police there. Funny I'm into guns too and started hunting there back in 1972 at Jockey Hollow and Delbarton School. Have a Blackhawk & MK III.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
HYDE 16 for what its worth, I think you have been given alot of great advice. But personally I had a New Model Ruger Vaquero in .357 Mag. with a 5-1/2 inch barrel. I have owned alot of hand guns , but this particular gun I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it! I sold the gun and I also had a 3 inch Ruger SP101 that I really did not use that much. Already have a Marlin 1894 in .357 and a S&W Mod. 66 in .357 well this is why I thought maybe sell the SP101. Well I sold this gun, and the same day saw in the local paper a Original Ruger Vaquero Bisley in .357 magnum in stainless steel with a 5-1/2 inch barrel. I bought the gun with the proceeds that I got from selling the SP101. I have never looked back I don't know the hows and whys but the older Vaqueros atleast for me this gun shoots great and handles the recoil alot nicer thern the New Model Vaquero that I had. If you are looking at getting a New Model Vaquero just remember yes the .357 version will be heavier but there is still the possibility the same gun in .45 LC will be nice also but alot more expensive to shoot! I like the .45 LC but for my personal use the .357 suits me much better! I guess my person feelings are very obvious here! Ruger makes great guns, but after handling the Original Vaquero vs the New Model Vaquero there is a real distinct difference between the two and that is the weight of the gun. Which means less felt recoil and probably the bigest plus is the Bisley grip really makes a big difference! To make things interesting I guess if you could shoot a New Model Ruger Vaquero with the Bisley grip! Good Luck to you in your decision! HYDE 16 my Ruger Vaquero Bisley looks just like the the one the shootist posted!! I would love to get some grips just like that for my Ruger Bisley Vaquero!!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts