Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sooo glad that I bought this sweet-shooting pistol! Every time I fired it, a "rush" would sweep over me, and the sense of power that came from each and every shot, was indeed a wonderful experience!

I am really happy with the results of this first 100 rounds. I see now that the point of aim needs to be directly at the center of the target. I can hardly wait until I go the next time and advance onwards with this new-found knowledge of my new piece! Life is good!

For those of you who are "up" on all the different kinds of ammo that is available in .45 ACP, I was shooting Blazer Brass 230 gr. FMJ. I like 'em! [^] And my pistol apparently likes them, as well. Absolutely no problems at all.

Amistad
'it may not get any better than this!'

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Nothing like the smell of gun powder and holes in the target to get the blood a pumpin'.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the responses. I wish I could give a similar report from the session that I had at the range today, but I came back home full of disgust at my shooting and with my tail a draggin'... I shot all over the place today. (Using same ammo, so that's not the reason.) But today's results make me think of an old saying that involves "the broad side of a barn." :(

I took the gun apart and cleaned it well after the session yesterday. (And of course, also today.) Could I have failed to put something back in "not quite right" yesterday that would account for such erratic shooting? Everything appeared to be mechanically OK today, for it ate 50 rounds without any hiccups of any kind. I must confess that I am somewhat buffaloed, for I thought that I had the gun pretty well "dialed in" when I finished yesterday... I can see that first impressions are not always correct.

Amistad
'catching my second wind'

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I don't know about you, but with me there are good days and bad days. Some days it seems like I can't miss, and others like I can't hit. Thats why I have to continually practice, so I can try to get a more consistent average.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Spend some time inside your head-how many times a day do you have a thought to reach for something...your hand responds without you even looking that way-you react to a memory of where it is and put your hand right on it......our mind/eye/motor systems are awesome...we just try too hard at the range...go out there easy-look at the target over the front sight and squeeze the trigger...you should be surprised when it goes off...I don't worry about the rear sight at 10-20 yards...just look at the target and put the front sight on it and sqqqquuuuueeeeezzzzeeee....if you know it'll fire NOW you'll flinch...squeeze steadily and smoothly...dry fire at home double-action to practice the smooth, steady pull-check the barrel everytime you pick it up and on that model have the clip in the gun...when you go to targets 9" or so-yeah, sight picture is important...but you should be shooting a man target to get the feel...I am NOT a precision target shooter and don't know all those rules, but a man at 40-60 feet---bad day...Wally World has the cheapest ammo I've found...about 10 for 50-I'd bust 50 every week for a month...you'll start to feel calm and let your body do what it's designed to do...target shooters will say I'm full of it...Yup, no doubt...but I didn't train to target shoot...but to stay alive...hang in there and have fun hangin'!!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'd just have to make another trip to the range. If it gets erractic---stop. Take a small break and settle down and slow down. Start at about 5 yds and take your time---it'l come back.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Probably just changed your grip without realizing it, then made matters worse when you got frustrated. If you have the problem again, put her down, take a couple deep breaths and zone into that happy place. Then start over again with the intention of having fun, not being the target king of the old west. It's a lot more fun that way. I'm sure the gun will do it's part if you do yours.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's great to read these responses, and I appreciate those of you who have taken time to reply. As soon as I get off work tomorrow afternoon, I'll run out to the range and see how things go. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me! :D

Amistad
'searching for the answer'

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick note to say there is no cause for alarm. Once I settled into a groove after the first few shots today, I shot very well. Yes, I'm happy!!

Amistad
'once again, thrilled and pumped!'

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts