Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's time!

reports of crappie moving into the shallows and i'm gonna find out this afternoon hopefully!;)

For the last cpl of months, i've been cleaning reels, putting on new line, and being nickeled and dimed to death evertime i go into wally-world thinking i need this, that, or the other and not bothering to look in the tacklebox before i go!:eek: Kind of bad impulse buying as a cpl of bucks here and there start to add up over time and can sure sneak up on ya!

I appreciate this time of year. Ain't too hot or cold. Now if the dang wind wil just cooperate!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I can hardly wait until Tax season is over. Was out at the Ranch a couple of weeks ago, and a Pond that is stocked with Channel Cat that weigh up to over 10 lb. looked like it was ideal for fishing in. You could see the fish feeding. Can't wait to take the Grandkids out there and let them catch some. I might pull in one or two myself. They sure would be good grilled out at the Camper. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, survived the afternoon. They are going shallow. A bit hard to find but we did get into one bunch. Mostly black crappie and there were a few "slabs". We threw the females back as they were heavy with eggs and kept the males. My wife's uncle had given me some home-made buck-tail jigs in various colors and the flavor of the day was hot pink. Caught em' on that little ultra-lite rig i had picked up at academy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My pond is over a acre , 26 ft deep and my channel cats run from 6 to 10 lbs
I put 100 stockers 6" to 8" last spring they don't reproduce in my pond it is
spring fed and water temp is too cold .. They are just starting to come uo to
feed today.. I love to watch the kids hook a 10 lbs , the channel cats can
really fight...

CLICK PIC TO ENLARGE

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Tn Gun Runner, have you tried making a nesting and hiding place for them? I have a Spring fed Pond that they reproduce in. I put Tires, Pieces of PVC pipe and drag a couple of cedar trees out and let the sink in the pond for hiding places. I stocked over 10 years ago and catch fingerlings every year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I plan on hitting the Walleye fishing, on Lake Sakakawea, HARD this year. I got out of fishing a few years ago, but "I'll be baaaaaccckkk"! The fish don't stand a chance. :cool:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice to think about fishin the open water.... but here in Minnesota we still have "hard" water, so I'll have to be patient another few weeks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tn Gun Runner, have you tried making a nesting and hiding place for them? I have a Spring fed Pond that they reproduce in. I put Tires, Pieces of PVC pipe and drag a couple of cedar trees out and let the sink in the pond for hiding places. I stocked over 10 years ago and catch fingerlings every year.
My water temp stays below 70 all year long .. 6 to 8 incher cost me $55
a hundred which is not bad... The smallest cat taken out of my pond before
I stocked was 5 lbs and it hasn't been stocked in over 5 yrs.. there is a
couple cedars and old tires in shallow end . I have lots of brim , very few
over 2 inch.. I'll look on web again since your pond doing great
THANK YOU John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts