Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to buy a blue 45 ACP cylinder to use with my KBN-44. After much discussion with the owner I made the determination that cylinder would fit my frame with either none or very little fitting. After a thorough cleaning the cylinder slips into the frame, and the gun cycles and locks up as it should. However, the b/c gap is .003" with 0 (zero) endshake.

The original 45 Colt cylinder has an endshake of ~.002" and a b/c gap of about ~.005" with the cylinder pushed forward.

Here is my question. Should I remove about ~.002 from the ratchet column to reduce the possibility of the cylinder binding. This would increase the b/c to around ~.005.

Or, should I leave it alone for the time being and see how it runs?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Sounds like it fits well, which is a surprise in itself. I’d shoot it to see how it runs.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,410 Posts
Don't remove any metal at all!!! If you can remove/replace the cylinder for cleaning, a tight endshake is more desireable. The same goes for a tight B/C gap. Most Blackhawk owners would wet their pants for a tight cylinder fit like yours has.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
For Goodness Sake ... Leave it Alone !!!
Tight is better than loose and clean burning 45 acp loads are easy to work up .
Clean it after every range trip and you should have no problems .
Also a little shooting might just wear in a little more clearance .
I have a really tight 45 acp revolver ...it shoots tighter groups than my Colt Gold Cup target pistol ... !
Gary

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense to just let it be for awhile. I'll shoot some rounds through it this weekend and see if all goes well.
Thanks for the comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts