Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of Hogue grips for my Security Six. Overall I like them but in a couple of places along the backstrap they extend just a little beyond the frame. The gun is a 154 prefix and these are the correct grips for it. They don't extend much but it's enough that you can feel the edges. I need to trim them a but and thought of using an exacto but I don't think there is anyway to use that and get it to look right when I'm done. Does anyone have a method for removing a little off rubber grips like the Hogues that leaves a finish close to the original? Can you sand rubber?

Thanks,
Wuchak

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You can use your Dremel & a sanding drum, & very carefully sand the grips to fit. Patience is the word to use during this operation.;)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I just saw a commercial or infomercial or something, it was on a woodworking show (maybe it was just a feature on that show) about some sanding drums made out of carbide or something. Three color coded types (fine, medium, coarse). And the deal was, these things don't get hot so they are good for things like plexiglass or PVC or rubber because they don't scorch the material you're sanding. I wish I had read your question before I saw it on TV, maybe I would have remembered it better.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hogue sells wood polish to bring back the original finish. I have several Hogue grips and most of them needed a slight trimming. Don't trim while installed on your gun. Use the back side of an exacto knife to run along the frame marking the wood that will be trimmed. Then take off grips and sand them down. I usually sand all the original finish off then finish them with Tru-Oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Slow and easy does it. I trimmed a pair of grips a few days ago for my Sig 226. The way I do it is to use a small sharp knife blade to trace and score the frame outline on the inside of the grips. Remove the grips from the frame. Most of the time, there's not a lot of grip material to remove. Don't be in a hurry and test the fit as you remove the excess material. Some rotary tools rotate too fast and the sanding drum can melt the grip so I use sand paper with a flat wood sanding block made from a scrap of trim and slowly remove the excess grip material. I start with 100/120 grit finish up with 200, then 400 then 800 grit so the scratches from the trimming disappear. It if it's less than an 1/8", 200 grit takes it off fast enough for me. If you can't see the outline of the frame on the grip, try using a bright light at an angle to the see the outline.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Where your grips are the rubber Hogue grips your idea of a exacto knife to me sounds the best. The other thing would be to return your grips or exchange them. Don' try to sand your grips I do not think this will work. Did you check out your options with Pachmayr Grips?? I really like the Pachmayr rubber grips. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I installed mine on my SS there was a note in the instructions to add tape to the front of the grip until the back is flush with the grips...if you want to avoid trimming

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have Hogue rosewood grip on my Redhawk. I do not like the 'pink' color. So, I sanded off all the original finsh and corrected some minor 'fit' issues. Now, I'm wondering what stain to use to hide the pink color. For final finish I will use Danish Oil. What color stain would do the trick?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have Hogue rosewood grip on my Redhawk. I do not like the 'pink' color. So, I sanded off all the original finsh and corrected some minor 'fit' issues. Now, I'm wondering what stain to use to hide the pink color. For final finish I will use Danish Oil. What color stain would do the trick?
I use alcohol based stains on stocks and grips. if you don't like the color. You can wipe it off with denatured alcohol. These stains won't raise the wood grain like water based stains.

Behlen - Stains - Woodcraft.com

The Danish Oil sold at Home Depot is not the same finish as this tung oil. This finish is more durable and looks better IMHO. Takes a while to dry

Buy WoodRiver Pure Tung Oil Pint at Woodcraft.com

·
Registered
534 Posts
got mono grips on my '82 S6.............no fitting needed............ fit like a charm!
Sometimes you just get luck I guess?:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts