Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, there is discussion about aftermarket mags not working in Mini-14's (this can also apply to the AR platforms).

Those comments brought to mind some issues I had with feeding. It is easily fixed. Look at the front of the mag, right where the shells SHOULD feed out of it into the barrel. Many times, when they fold the metal around to the front and weld it, the metal does not match up correctly. (I've seen some where there is actually a point where there should be a groove.) The solution is simple: File the front of the magazine flat, then use a round file and file a small dip in it. I have done this to my aftermarket mags for my 183- series Mini and have had no feeding problems since.

When I worked at Cabela's call center in Product Information, this came up quite often (with all calibers, including pistols). I would tell the customer to try the above first. If they did not like the shiny area left after filing, I told them to use a black Sharpie (it's amazing how well those things work on all guns for minor scratches!!).

Some would object to "altering" the mags; what if they STILL didn't work? No problem, I'd document my recommendation on their file, which also informed whoever dealt with the return to accept the altered mags.

I'd call back later to see how they worked. To my knowledge, we never had any returned that the above was tried.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I would like to add that the placement of the stamped hole in front of the mag is also critical. The slightest increment off, and the mag will not feed properly. I have a John Masen 10 rounder that has the hole stamped too high and it prevents the mag to be inserted into the mag well far enough to feed bullets into the chamber.

Here we have a ruger 20 round mag to the left and a John Masen 10 round mag in the right. As you can see, the calibers show the John Masen mag's insert hole is stamped too high.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
All aftermarkets mags should be melted down for scrap !
I won't say all aftermarket mags are junk, but all the junk mags I have had have been after market.

I just have to convince myself to spend a little more and buy OEM mags.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
You really aren't saving any money with after market Mini-14 mags. Eventually, you end up buying Ruger OEM mags anyway. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I bought 3 Mini-14 mags from Sportsman's Guide for like 3 20 rounders for $15.00 or so, note they never said what brand they were, other than they were made of metal. This was a little over a year ago, so I figured the price was definitely right so I figured what the heck. Upon arrival I checked them out, and they appeared exactly like my other 20 rounders from Ruger with the exception of no Ruger logo on the bottom. I've since shot the dickens out of them with no problem at all. I do believe they may have been Ruger factory seconds therefore no logo. I tried calling Sportsman's Guide back to order more of the same, however they had sold them all out, and doubted getting anymore. Note I've tried using the Pro-Mag in that Mini-14 to no avail, fortunately it wasn't mine, as all my magazines are Ruger, other than the 3 after market one's I just described. I reckon I got lucky on those three.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I won't say all aftermarket mags are junk, but all the junk mags I have had have been after market.

I just have to convince myself to spend a little more and buy OEM mags.
It really doesn't take that much convincing. Ruger mags are really, really nice mags. In fact out of all the magazines in the world, AR's, AK's, G3's, SKS's, and all the other magazine fed rifles, I find that the ruger mags are made better and hold a much higher quality. If you put a P-mag in your left hand and a ruger mag in your right hand you will instantly see that the ruger mag is about 30 bucks better ;)

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
All aftermarkets mags should be melted down for scrap !
I agree with that for sure.

Most issues i have had have been aftermarket. My latest was actually a factory magazine from dpms. Usually a quality magazine, but I have one that i have tried to repair, but no luck. I gave up on it. In times past between 1994 and 2004 I had no choice but to try to repair some magazines since at that time they could not be replaced, but for right now thats not an issue, I make sure I keep all functioning mags, and discard the troublesome, non repairable ones. Their may come a time where repairing is the only option in the future, I hope we never see that happen again.;)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I ran into something similar with CAA mags for the AR-15 - but on the rear of the mag - where the follower comes up to lift the bolt release when the mag is empty. On the CAA mags the back of the mag shell was so high that when I released the bolt it would push the magazine down - this combined with really thick feed lips and not the best fit for the mag catch would result in the magazine being pushed down far enough to result in a bolt-override misfeed - mostly feeding from one side of the mag and not always from the other.
I cut the back of the mag shell down to match the factory mag dimensions and thinned out the mag lips a little bit and the problem pretty much went away. I still did have some issues but they may have been related to weak reloads.

Also had some minor issues with aftermarket 10/22 magazines not quite fitting all the way up into the receiver properly - so I filed/sanded off the shoulders, probably less than 1 mm, and they lock in much better (or at least more easily) and feed more reliably.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts