Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:eek:)] Back again with a question about flashligths. What in your opinion would be a good or the best flashlight to carry on your belt? One that would holded up in the weather and from abuse. A small one now, not one like a duty Officer would carry.[:eek:)][?][:eek:)]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Carried a Surefire E2 for two years-Streamlight has two small ones-one rechargeable that will take the hair off a coconut but they're light and strong---Stinger and Strion, I believe-look at the Streamlight website-they're worth the $$$---lights are often overlooked but we gotta see it to shoot it...small nylon holsters make them concealable, too.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yep, RNettles, and HDep is now carrying a 3Cell LED model for under $20 that gives more light than a 2Cell regular-been using one at work for a couple weeks-worth the $20-batts and bulb last longer. In a defense situation, I kinda like to have something that'll make them lose their night vision-I bought the first 20,000 CP light available from Streamlight in the 70's-you could warm your hands on it...those two small ones I recommended put out 5-7 times as much light as a Mag for not much more size/weight-but you pay 40-80 or so for them-once.They not only let you see someone-they keep him from seeing you for a few seconds-while you can clearly see his hands...I prefer a hand-held light to a gun-mounted one-I can illuminate instead of assault while I assess the situation.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sheepdog I thought you might have the answer for me. I'll check them all out. See what I come up with.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,348 Posts
Aszor, I have one of those in black that I often carry. Once, it managed to get switched on while in my pants pocket. Well, you've heard the song about "Chet's nuts roasting on a open fire"? I'm not Chet but I sure can sympathize with him. Those things do put out an amazing amount of heat. They also are bright enough to carry the distance for self-defense.

When the P-345 first came out, I bought one thinking the rail mount would be great for a light or laser. I soon learned the fallacy. First, you have to point your gun at what ever you want to illuminate. This could be a "friendly" or something else you don't intend to shoot. Second, try holstering a gun with a rail mounted light. Not impossible but it nearly destroys the concealability of the gun, makes it hard to draw, and in general makes a clumsy package.

I'm with sheepdog and would rather carry the light separately.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,348 Posts
Naw, just my normal warped sense of humor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm new here and I'm putting in my $0.02.... Sure Fire is the best I think.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
LED or regular bulb? Rechargeable? I gave my Surefire E2 to a young trooper here recently and I'll bet that 3-cell puts out more light. Nylon or leather case? Using a 2-cell Brinkman now-not as happy with it---Surefire sells 12-packs of the batteries cheaper than anyone I've found anywhere...

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you don't want to spend a lot, but need a really bright light for that specicial occasion, trt the Brinkman at WallyWorld - about $20. It's a 6v zenon.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I have a small 2AA Mini-Mag, but I never carry it. I carry a 6 D-Cell Mag-Lite just on the inside of the drivers door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for the delay, sheepdog. It is an led and yes, it does put out some light. I made friends with Pelican's sales rep for military and law enforcement. He sent me one to "field test" for an undetermined and extremely extended length of time.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Whatadeal!!!! When I was a young buck I got that kind of relationship with Col. Jack Cannon, inventer of Glaser Safety Slugs- those deals sure are sweet when they come along!!! I'm gonna research the Pelican-they've always had good light ideas...thanks!!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Thought I would revive this thread and see if there is any new ideas. I'm going to buy a small light to carry in a pouch on my belt. At night a gun without a light is not of much use unless you are under street lights or bright moon.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Streamlight Strion and another small one are brighter than a 4D cell light with a more sharp light...I'd say not LED...the bulb's forever but I want to blind 'em...several are just over palm size....look at the Streamlight site...Stinger is about the size of a 3C but I carry a small one that runs off 2 1.5V lithium batteries and will blind you-it's about 5" long...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I keep a Streamlight Scorpion on me at all times. It also uses 2 lithium batteries and will blind you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts