Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 44mag old model ruger flattop and it was built on a 357 frame it says 357 on the frame but the barrel and cylinder are 44mag the person I got this from said it was factory done just need some info on this gun thank you

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The old flat tops are not the same frame as were used on the 44mag. The old flat tops were converted to 44 special but I have never heard of them being converted to a mag. I would contact Ruger and a qualified gunsmith.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an email into ruger and the gun is timed right and shoots well I just didn't no if ruger did this or what or if it's worth anything

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I recently got a 44mag old model ruger flattop and it was built on a 357 frame it says 357 on the frame but the barrel and cylinder are 44mag the person I got this from said it was factory done just need some info on this gun thank you
I might be mistaken, but didn't Ruger go with the larger OM .44 cylinder frame because testing showed that the OM .357 cylinder & frame were too small?

If that's the case, I would doubt that the Ruger Co. itself would have rechambered it.

Just curious.

·
Registered
239 Posts
...I recently got a 44mag old model ruger flattop and it was built on a 357 frame it says 357 on the frame but the barrel and cylinder are 44mag the person I got this from said it was factory done just need some info on this gun thank you ...
Sounds like your revolver was redone by a good custom gunsmith. I dont believe (...as others have posted...) it's an original ruger conversion. It wuz done by a gunsmith; not Ruger. As i remember, BRL's post is correct. During the original 44 mag testing by Ruger, the small frame (...your old model 367...) had a cylinder fail. Ruger became concerned with that; and the frame wuz sized up a bit.

Hope this helps a bit.
leroy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts