Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious who out here has Flexed Honed their cylinder walls to their revolvers? I am wanting to do this for my 2 Ruger Blackhawks. These are 2 guns that I shoot for my Single Action Shooting and I want the brass to slide right out at the unloading table.

Are there any recommendations or suggestions for me to do this myself?

Thanks in advance, hopefully there are more cowboy action shooters out here willing to help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use a piece of brass rod that has a split in the end of it, I wrap 400 grit emery cloth around it till it approximately fits the cylinder diameter, and then use a battery operated drill to hone. This is for the throats only though, the more you increase the diameter in the chamber area, the more the brass will expand with each shot, only do it lightly, where the bullet is actually chambered. I do it to make the throats not cause a restriction on the slug as it enters the barrel, I take a bullet of the diameter that I'm shooting and continue honing till the bullet passes through the end of the cylinder with minimal resistance, it will greatly improve the accuracy of any revolver.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I bought the flex hone oil and .44 and .45 brushes, but haven't got around to trying them yet. I did have an old model Super Bearcat that had one chamber that was tighter than the others,brass would hang up slightly in that chamber. I took care of it like mirage243 did, except no drill involved, just emery around a small dowel and twisted it. It didn't need much.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have done a dozen or so revolvers in .38 and .44 calibers with Flex Hones, as well as 12ga chambers. It does polish them up well and help the brass eject smoothly. I wouldn't use a Flex Hone to replace a true chamber reamer if the chambers are actually undersized, though. Just be careful not to over-hone your chambers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts