Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody uses Flitz on their GP-100 (stainless steel) and what their thoughts were about it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I've use Mothers on my SP101, I think from what Ive read that the products are pretty similar, this one is a white cream looking polish. I got it to a nice polished finish. You will not get rid of the brush marks unless you use different grades of sandpaper but when its polished, the brushmarks are very hard to see unless you are looking for them so its personal preference. In my case, sanding was not worth it, I think it came out well and you really have to look at the brushmarks to notice them. Definitely gives the gun a different look and it worked out well but it is time consuming. I went over each part of the gun about 20 times with an old t-shirt, probably doing somewhere between 1/2 to an 1 squared at a time. With Mothers, you really do not have to use much at all, just dabbing a little bit on the cloth works and it seems like theres a certain amount that works best, its very small. When I got my Mark III Hunter, I only did the flutes, and I used a good amount. After more experience polishing, I was suprised how little you actually need.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I haven't used Flitz on a GP100 but I have used it recently on three stainless Security Sixes, two stainless P-series pistols and a stainless S&W model 66, all with VERY good effect. Try it, you'll like it! :D

Kenny

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I Have been using Mothers Mag polish on one of my SP101.s and so far it is turning out pretty good, I do not think that there is much difference between Mothers and Flitz.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Ironhead: that is a good idea, it should hold up to the heat on the barrel pretty good. How easy is the sealer to remove?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been using Flitz for the past 25 years at least and maybe more, on ALL of my stainless guns. Works great, easy to find, and doesn't cost much. I will keep using it until they stop making it.

MadDog

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I use both Flitz and Mother's. My impression is the Mother's will polish up a bit faster than the Flitz if you're looking for a highly polished look. If you just want to clean off powder residue and such the Flitz is great (both are actually). I tend to use the Flitz for cleaning and the Mother's for polishing but I may be splitting hairs - they're both good products. I use them on SP101 and GP100 (and S&W and anything shiny!)

Wave

·
Registered
62 Posts
Howdy-
REALLY like Flitz! They advertise it to not contain any abrasives, and it does a GREAT job of cleaning down to the shine, as it were. First saw Flitz at a big automotive sale and swap meet in Florida , in the late 1970's or early 1980's- One fella there was selling LARGE tubes of it at an "introductory" price. His mistake was only having large tubes- didn't need more for years! :p

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have been using Flitz for years and just recently Mother's. They both do an equally good job and one bottle of Flitz has lasted a long time. As I said I have just started using Mother's but looks like the little tub I got is also going to last a long time. I believe the Mother's is just a little cheaper in my area.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I use both Flitz and Mother's. My impression is the Mother's will polish up a bit faster than the Flitz if you're looking for a highly polished look. If you just want to clean off powder residue and such the Flitz is great (both are actually). I tend to use the Flitz for cleaning and the Mother's for polishing but I may be splitting hairs - they're both good products. I use them on SP101 and GP100 (and S&W and anything shiny!)

Wave
Ditto. I give the edge to Mother's.

But you guys must need dark sunglasses to shoot those things! :D

They are pretty to look at.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ironhead: that is a good idea, it should hold up to the heat on the barrel pretty good. How easy is the sealer to remove?
The sealer is the easy part. The cleaner polish is like never dull. You keep apply till you like the shine or you see no black on the rag.

I do use Flitz on my Browning 626 XS Special Shotgun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts