Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else contract the flu this season?

I'm in day 5 and it has kicked my butt. (My skin even hurts)

I did have a flu shot early in the season, but this is a different strain says the doc. Not sure what the Tamiflu med is doing, but if it is helping I can't imagine the flu without it.

·
Super Moderator
21,678 Posts
I got the old fogies super shot and have avoided it so far. With a virus rest is the key plus fluids. Drink, sleep, pee and repeat. ;)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Day four here. Achy joints, coughing up who knows what, tired as heck, oddly though no high fever. I think I'm on the rebound now. Thank goodness for NyQuil.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I was sick for 12 days according to my wife. Codeine syrup helped me a lot. :D The cutest thing was when my sons both heated up chicken soup for me. Burned my tongue off but it was still a cute gesture.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Feel better folks !

lucky for me , nope.

when I start feeling a little something, I start pounding the Airborne Blast and Lysine.

I always drink a ton of water, around 1/2 gallon a day at least.

daily I use the neilmed rinse with a drop of Oil of Oregano and a few drops of Colloidal Silver.

The year I stopped doing my ritual, is the year I got the flu.
My wife has had the flu basically each year, since she started doing what I do, she hasn't had it.

No colds or flues for me.

now i'll probably get sick...

I don't get the flu shot, I don't think there was a year where they got it right. The way I understand it, they have to guess a head of time what final version it'll mutate into by the time it's here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Air Force gave me a flu shot when I was in basic training back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I promptly got the flu. I haven't had a flu shot since. My momma didn't raise no fools.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've not gotten sick since I quit working for a school district - kids are germ magnets!

·
Banned
365 Posts
Never have taken the flu shot, and have never had the flu this century (last 16 years :eek:). I attribute that to several things:

- A diet with hot peppers. I don't think there is any day where at least 1 meal I have has either diced hot peppers, salsa, or hot sauce as a condiment. The running joke in my house is that the life expectancy of a jar of salsa or bottle of hot sauce is measured in minutes, and a bottle of ketchup dies of loneliness. I have a pet theory that the capsacin in hot peppers and hot sauce improves your immune system.

- Fresh citrus, either in juice form or peeled and served, daily when in season.

- The fact that Arizona is relatively warm throughout the winter months, with little, if any rain. Allows me to stay relatively active outdoors, and getting fresh air on a daily basis.

- The fact that I try to avoid large crowds of children during the cold and flu season. This, I think, is the biggest thing that keeps me away from the flu virus.

- I always have a "night cap" of a some type, either a Tequila Sunrise, or whiskey mixed with lemon juice (whiskey sour), or apple juice (apple jack), or cranberry juice (red headed step child).

I kind of hate to say this, but many of my friends have not had the flu in 20 or more years. Even they wonder how they do it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Post #6 is close, the airborne stuff he uses is high dose vitamin C and zinc. Guys, we need to take powdered vitamin c in brand made in USA,Canada or UK and take no more than 25mg zinc per day. When you are stressed, your diet will not replace the mineral fast enough and you will be run down and then sick. More is not better for zinc, it is metabolically matched to copper so do not get carried away. Vitamin c is a different matter, take as much as you can tolerate, you will get the runs if too much and take a bit less from that point. Every day. Capsules or tablets are mostly Chinese and insignificant dosage anyways, buy the right stuff and be well!

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Feel better guys. So far, this year's flu shot concoction is working for me. Not so much last year.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
New shot out this year. Dr told me it was good as the others BUT it is effective for an additional 12 strains of flu. Had the regular one, then took this one later.
Been taking them for many years. Lucky I guess. Never got the flu since, mostly never get a cold. I wash my hands often, and very seldom eat out.
WE do 99% of our cooking. I know damn well we wash our hands and don't spit in the food. Restaurants....not so much.:mad:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Last time I had the flu was when I was in the Army, back in 1969. Overcrowded living conditions, being run ragged, not getting proper rest, etc...
I have been taking Vitamin C daily since the 1990s, Linus Pauling WAS right.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Does seem kind of "funny". This year I didn't get a flu shot and haven't had a sniffle. Nothing has changed in my lifestyle. I do like hot foods, keep my hands clean and like an occasional whiskey on the rocks. Other years I always got the flu shot and ended up getting the flu. In my younger years not getting a flu shot never seemed to matter and I never got the flu. I do work outside in all kinds of extremes, if I feel a chill after being in the cold I usually take a long soak in a hot bath and chase it with a warm Brandy.

·
Super Moderator
21,678 Posts
Sleep, Flu Shots and Frequent Hand Washing the Avoidance Key

We walk outdoors for 4 miles a day (being outdoors stimulates the immune system), get plenty of sleep, always get flu shots and wash our hands every time we get back home from shopping, going out to eat, etc. We are retired so that helps as we can avoid the workplace germs and the human disease carrying machines called kids. Neither of us has had the flu since the 90's.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Drink lots of cranberry juice and eat oranges. The cran juice will kill the bacteria in your unrinary tract, and the orange pulp will do the same in your intestines. It will usually knock it out of you in under 48 hours.
I had one flu shot in my life. The company I worked for was pretty much trying to "pretend" it was mandatory, and hounded you until you got one. That was 1996. I WAS SICK AS A DOG ALL WINTER. Never again.

It also tell me a great deal when nurses at the Dr's office and hospitals REFUSE to get the shot, and wear a mask instead.
I hope you get to feeling better soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Lung issues keep me aware of my need for the "hi dose" flu shots and the lifetime pneumonia shot. Biggest thing I do is wherever I am going to be around sick folks is to take some of the hand sanitizer with me...I watch the docs and nurses at the hospital and every time they walk by a sanitizer they take a shot of it..I try to do the same thing...I attend some weekly meetings where there is lots of hugging and kissing....I don't hug and I don't kiss and if folks sound sick I ask if they are ill and if so...I move or simply leave the room..

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
In the nearly 20 years I've been at my current job, there were only 2 years where the flu vaccine was not offered through our medical department. Both of those years, I had the flu and was completely out of it for 3-5 days and still not 100% more than 2 weeks later. For me, the shot has improved the odds of avoiding the flu considerably.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
With my severe COPD and only 1 working lung...I'm pretty cautious about colds and flu...I always take the "high dose" flu shot and I have had the new "life time " Pneumonia shot (the old one that was life time was not life time)...we always keep the little bottles of hand sanatizer in the car and around the house...I'd say I sanitize my hands 20 times a day...Learned not to rub my eyes...and just hope and pray.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I always got a flu shot when I worked at the Exchange back in NY and promptly got the flu. A different strain, they would say. Haven't had a flu shot in the last four years since leaving NY and haven't gotten the flu. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts