Votes: 10 10.6%
  • No, I never get them

Votes: 36 38.3%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nope.

Better to be healthy, with a healthy immune system to fight off the bugs, and use some commonsense cleanliness practices.

The flu shots are formulated way in advance, based upon estimates of which strains will be around this season. Localized formulations are better than national, but I would bet that most of the flu shots being dispensed are national formulations.

There are a limited number of strains that can be formulated for in a single shot.

So it's a crapshoot. Pay your money and take your chances that they got it right (and the little buggers in the shot are still viable). And hope you're not taking the shot too early. And you can still get the flu.

Better to keep your immune system healthy than to take a gamble.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.

Better to be healthy, with a healthy immune system to fight off the bugs, and use some commonsense cleanliness practices.

The flu shots are formulated way in advance, based upon estimates of which strains will be around this season. Localized formulations are better than national, but I would bet that most of the flu shots being dispensed are national formulations.

There are a limited number of strains that can be formulated for in a single shot.

So it's a crapshoot. Pay your money and take your chances that they got it right (and the little buggers in the shot are still viable). And hope you're not taking the shot too early. And you can still get the flu.

Better to keep your immune system healthy than to take a gamble.
I've head that just getting a shot once isn't all that great but if a person gets them each year they have an accumlative effect. If the flu going around isn't the same strain as the shot you got this year then some of the older flu shots might help combine with other older shots and even the newer shot.

I read it on the internet so I'm sure its true. :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
When I got tired of my wife's intense badgering about it I went ahead and got one.:D

·
Banned
402 Posts
No thanks, have you ever explored what is in those flu shots, but hey if you want to support big Pharma go for it.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I did, but not again any time soon. Sick sick sick. Within 4 days after getting it, I was starting to get a lung thing w/fluid in them, coughing, chills, sweaty, puked because I coughed so hard. Had to sleep (when I could) sitting up. Had a bubble thingy pop up on my arm about 1 inch away from the injection site. It popped, then slightly bubbled up again the next day. The Dr. had never seen anything like it. So I came close to going to the hospital & I am not one to even go to the Dr. unless its obvious that I need to go. I had antibiotics, the cough syrup with codeine, ibuprofen, and cortisone cream for the bubble thingy on my arm, and a heating pad for the backaches. I never ever "take to bed," but this time I was really in bed for three days, got up & thought I was getting better,but nope went back to bed for 2 more days. It took another week to get it together and for my lungs to clear up. No more flu shots.....

·
Super Moderator
21,667 Posts
I always get them. In prior years I have also gotten an pneumonia shot (one and done), shingles shot (again one and done) and this year along with the flu shot, whooping cough which is a combo with Tetnus and Diptheria.

I am a believer in preventive medicine particularily as I am now in my mid-60's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've also been getting the pneumonia shot, which has been a shot once every five years.

This time my Doctor informed me the new pneumonia shot is "good for life"..

I like that.

TK

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I always get them. In prior years I have also gotten an pneumonia shot (one and done), shingles shot (again one and done) and this year along with the flu shot, whooping cough which is a combo with Tetnus and Diptheria.

I am a believer in preventive medicine particularily as I am now in my mid-60's.
Did your health insurance cover your shingles shot?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No thanks, have you ever explored what is in those flu shots, but hey if you want to support big Pharma go for it.
The flu shot also protects the herd. If about 80% of the population gets one then usually the entire population is protected.

Each seasonal influenza vaccine contains three influenza viruses: one influenza type A subtype H3N2 virus strain, one influenza type A subtype H1N1 (seasonal) virus strain, and one influenza type B virus strain.
Influenza vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Never.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

Same here. Been taking flu shots for about 10 years and it seems I have fewer colds. No side effects except a sore shoulder for several days.

"Preventive" is the key word.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yep and barely even had a sore shoulder. I'm a board member of a non-profit group that raises awareness to the flu and arranges to provide them free to the needy and at reduced cost to others. All this after my 7 month old neighbor died from complications caused by the flu.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Gotten one every year for 15 years. I got sick once from it. I have asthma and am very susceptible to bronchial infections, so for me it is a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts