Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a news clip this morning. Those new fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury. They didn't say how much only that the 'vapor' was measurable. If you should break one, they said to open a window, use gloves and a pieces of thin cardboard to sweep up the pieces. Use a folded, dampened paper towel to pick up the small pieces. Put it all into a zip loc bag & dispose of properly. DO NOT USE A VACUUM CLEANER.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Heck...when I was a kid..many...many..years ago we would break open themometers just so we could play with the "little silver" balls. I don't think that there is enough in those light bulbs to cause you to go to condition zebra. I think the world is way too worried about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have been told not to break flourescent bulbs sicne I as a kid. I never new that the powder inside contained mercury. I was just told it was not good to inhale the powder residue and now I know why.
I still like to hear to pop they make when they break though. I guess it is similar to a gun shot and I love to shot loud guns. The boom makes me happy.:D I think I'l make that my signature. The boom makes me happy. I like it.:D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heck...when I was a kid..many...many..years ago we would break open themometers just so we could play with the "little silver" balls. I don't think that there is enough in those light bulbs to cause you to go to condition zebra. I think the world is way too worried about this stuff.
You could be right, however, it's the vapors from these bulbs that are the problem. I know we used to paint with paint that contained lead until years later it was realized the problems it caused.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As to the mercury question, a CFL bulb generally contains an average of 5 mg of mercury (about one-fifth of that found in the average watch battery, and less than 1/100th of the mercury found in an amalgam dental filling). A power plant will emit 10mg of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to only 2.4mg of mercury to run a CFL for the same time. The net benefit of using the more energy efficient lamp is positive.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Disposal would probably be no problem if they can be pitched with regular trash - unless it's decided they have to be handled as "hazardous waste". Another concern is that these new bulbs can be a problem for folks prone to migraine headaches, etc.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I remember rubbing the mercury on pennies to make them shine like a new dime. Cool stuff for a grade schooler. I do not think the mercury exposure hurt me. BY THE WAY WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS FORUM?????

·
Registered
704 Posts
We had to start disposing of all our flourescent and multi-vapor ,(high-bay), lamps in special purpose built cardboard containers at work. No more tossing them in the compactor for the local land-fill. This may be a "GREEN" effort by industry, but some-one is making a killing in the re-cycling industry by saying they can re-claim this small amount of Mg. and the sale of these rather expensive cardboard boxes. IMO

On the other hand, the real danger of breaking a flourescent tube is to possibly be on the receiving end of a nasty cut and possible infection/mercury poisoning...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Saw an article where environmentalists are caught "tween a rock & a hard place". They're pushing the energy saving bulbs but can't figure out how to dispose of 'em when they're burned out. Could amount to a lot of mercury in the landfills.

Bob

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, this is really no big deal. Why does everything have to be a federal case with the media? Irks me.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yeah, they're "green" alright, so that is why they are almost ALL made in China ,not here in the states,,,,,,,another "business' going out of this country.........wish they did last as long as they "promise" 6 years?? I doubt it, all I hear is how they do NOT last that long and at the cost they are, where is the "savings"....pure BS
no, you cannot throw them away, they have to be recycled and treated as "hazardous waste"...........??????

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have been using some off and on for a couple of years. Some have burned out right away. They don't have a return policy for not lasting the 5 or 6 years advertized. At least tires are prorated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts