Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to make the switch from my 450 Bushmaster single shot to a Ruger American Ranch or Predator chambered in .350 Legend. I like the lower recoil and the price of ammo. My problem with the rifle is the AR style magazine. I, personally, do not like the way it looks on a hunting rifle and do not want something sticking that far out of my rifle in a hunting situation. Seems like more to get caught on belts, slings, tree branches...etc. Does anyone know if anyone makes a flush mouth magazine for this rifle in this caliber?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am thinking about shortening a mag to just below the catch and welding the floor plate back on. Just not sure about how much of the spring to remove.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I agree with you the AR magazine sticking out doesn’t make the rifle handle better. I also watched a YouTube video on a Ruger American Ranch rifle. In the video the guy conducting the rifle video was having problems with the AR type of magazine for the.350 Legend. Very accurate rifle, but if that’s the type of magazine to deal with. I would opt to get a .350 Legend in a Winchester XPR!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stubby magazine

I am thinking about shortening a mag to just below the catch and welding the floor plate back on. Just not sure about how much of the spring to remove.
Update : I successfully shortened a mag to just below the catch. Spot welded the floor plate back on. It only held 2 rounds but 1 in the chamber gives me 3. Plenty for hunting situation. Hunted for years with a single shot, never needed the 2nd round. Looks good , not too obtrusive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've done something similar for the 556 ranch. I took 10-rd pmags, cut them down and fitted an internal sheet metal floorplate. I made one 5-rd and one almost-flush-fitting 3-rd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And here's the 3-rd.

Neither of these will seat in an actual AR anymore with the original floorplate on there. But it's just held on with a screw, it's not actually doing anything. So you could pull it off easy if you wanted to use either in an AR.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 450 is a versatile round.

Have ya thought about hand loadng it down? The 45 Colt level loads have killed boat loads of critters. That loading in this rifle would be a powder puff.

CW

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looking at the RARR in 350Legend and I also like the AR mags for feeding dependability but don't like the way they protrude. Could one not use a 5 rd mag that fits an AR? Just asking. I use one in my AR 15 for hunting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sure ya can

But have you looked at the 5 round mags??

Most are simply blocked ten round magazines.

This is because the receiver of a MSR is deep and a 10 end IS NEARLY FLUSH!

Your only option is to shorten a magazine yourself. Probably a video or three on uTube. I have seen guys do this. But no o e that I am aware of makes them for you

CW

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
And here's the 3-rd.

Neither of these will seat in an actual AR anymore with the original floorplate on there. But it's just held on with a screw, it's not actually doing anything. So you could pull it off easy if you wanted to use either in an AR.

That looks a whole lot better to me. Good job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts