Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post (now closed cause it went down a bad rabbit trail) about TSA regs and thought I would share my recent and first experience with checking a handgun in luggage.

I took my LCP with me on vacation (to a state where my CCW was valid) and put it empty in this case. GunVault NV300 NanoVault with Combination Lock - Amazon.com

Manufacture box of Critical Defense in the same suitcase.

TSA luggage lock on the suitcase.

It was painless. At the first airport, I had to open the suitcase and the gun box but they didn't touch anything, they made me sign a form saying it was unloaded which they taped a copy to the gun vault. Had to wait a few minutes after checking in for them to give me the thumbs up to go to the gate. Guess they have to tell TSA that they checked a firearm. Done.

On the way home, same thing except I didn't have to open the gun vault itself. No one seemed nervous about me having a gun, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think if you go prepared, know the rules, and have it stored properly, you'll have a similar experience. Granted both states (Virginia and Florida) are rather gun friendly so not sure if it would be different in a less gun friendly state.

While I too agree that TSA is a joke, I don't blame the agents doing their job. They are working (which is more than you can say for a lot of people), since it's a federal job (I think) they probably get good benefits, more power to em. I try and stay positive when dealing with them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Andy your post is spot on! 99% of flyers with firearms experience no problems. If you do your part it's easy! Like you said we just do our jobs. The benes are fair but not over the top. The wages pay the bills but that's about it. Most of my co-workers work a lot of overtime to make ends meet but I guess that happens whe you live over your head! LOL Anyway again good post. Try not to hate us too much!! LOL

BW

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Check not only TSA regs, but also the specific airline(s) you're flying as different airlines may have different procedures.

Remember, too, not only must your weapons and ammo be properly secured, you must declare your weapon(s) when you check in to the airline counter agent, and that is only for checked luggage, never for carry-on.

As Andy said, done properly, it's a painless procedure.

There have been a few threads on this subject. I'd be particularly mindful if I had to fly through a not-so-gun-friendly state such as NY or NJ. There have been some real horror stories about unscheduled layovers, etc.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Remember do not fly in or out of ny or nj airports with a handgun unless you have a nj or new york permit or you probably will be arrested not e well new hampshire gun owners etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just flew out of EWR last week and took my HG with me (second trip I've done this on).

First trip I told the desk person that I was flying with a firearm and they turned white as a sheet and nearly fainted.

This time I just told the desk person I need a firearms declaration form and that was MUCH simpler and more straightforward.

Both return trips from gun friendly states were much easier and less strained than NJ.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I too travel with my sidearm, no issues really. Just follow the rules and everything goes off without a hitch.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I just flew out of EWR last week and took my HG with me (second trip I've done this on).

First trip I told the desk person that I was flying with a firearm and they turned white as a sheet and nearly fainted.

This time I just told the desk person I need a firearms declaration form and that was MUCH simpler and more straightforward.

Both return trips from gun friendly states were much easier and less strained than NJ.
My notice was for people who do not live in NJ or NY and may choose to fly out of a ny area airport such as an eastern PA resident who may choose to fly out of Atlantic city airport.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thats what's nice about flying private, no need to deal with it. Lucky enough to have someone in the family with their own plane. When we need to go somewhere we usually have him fly us and land in one of the small community airports.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.